Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo Volume pedal issue

Jetrocker

Took my Ernie Ball stereo pedal yesterday and "split" the signal instead of using it stereo for one keyboard (Kronos). In this case I ran the kronos mono into the left side of my stereo pedal and out to my keyboard amp and then used the other side of the pedal to go from my #1 output on the Kronos in/out of the pedal right side, and then into a vintage leslie preamp to my 145. The Kronos side works just like before, but the leslie side is now very non-linear in taper. It's off until almost full pedal stroke, then it's like instant full volume. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Can I not split the signal like this in a stereo pedal, or is there some change because the leslie preamp has a weird input resistance or ? Thx, Mark

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I understand, the way you have wired the pedal, the mono audio comes out of the Kronos, goes through one side of the Ernie Ball pedal (where it is attenuated once based on the setting of the pedal), then that already attenuated output goes to the input of the other side of the pedal, where it is once more attenuated. example: you have the pedal set for 50% signal, your keyboard amp gets 50%, but the Leslie only gets half of 50%. No wonder it is non-linear.

Does a Kronos have a mono/stereo setting? If so, set the Kronos to mono, then use the L side for one Ernie Ball input, and the R side for the other. Even if it only has stereo output that can't be switched to mono - at least each side will be attenuated once instead of twice.

If that doesn't work, you might try a single phone jack to twin phone plug Y-cable to use the left output of the Kronos to feed both sides of the Ernie Ball. I think that most guitar type volume in-line pedals are high enough impedance that the Kronos would not be overloaded.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the input. I think I didn't explain the set up clearly. Sorry. Here's how I am doing it

Kronos left output(mono) > EB stereo pedal left input > EB stereo pedal left output > Keyboard amp

Kronos output #1 (mono) > EB stereo pedal right input > EB pedal right output > EH Leslie preamp pedal input > EH Leslie preamp pedal 6 pin output via leslie cable to 145 leslie

The result - when I use patches on the Kronos that are routed to the left mono output, I get smooth taper of the volume pedal on those patches into the keyboard amp. When I use patches on the Kronos that are routed to the #1 output jack (my organ patches), I get no significant sound out of the leslie until the pedal angle comes up to about 90% full travel, then the leslie sound spikes way up (almost instant on)and the last 10% travel gives me a little more volume up to max.

I'm using the EB stereo pedal 6167, which has 25K ohm pots.

Hope this helps clear it up. Thanks for any help. -Mark

The first thing I would try is to reverse the sides going into the pedal and see if the problem also reverses. In other words, play detective to narrow it down, and be certain it's the pedal that's causing the issue.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

It is possible that one side of the volume pot is defective and needs replaced. Stilllearning's suggestion of testing by reversing the sides is a useful test. Ernie Ball stereo 25k pot for pedal

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Ok, so I tried a few more pedals this weekend all the with the same results. So in desperation, I just went ahead and plugged the input from the Kronos to the EH Leslie preamp into the second (bottom) input channel of the preamp. Everything worked at that point... smooth taper on the volume to the Leslie and the same for the L/R outputs to the K4 amp on the other side of the stereo pedal. Go figure.

Archived