Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Distorted result from 02R S/PDIF outputs

Hello, I have a Yamaha CD8-AT ADAT card on slot 1 and a TC Unity card (with no I/O whatsoever) on slot 3 of my Yamaha 02R. The Unity has both the M2000 and the Finalizer licenses. I've got a MOTU 2408 connected on group A to the CD8-AT on the 02R, group B is for the analogue I/Os and group C is configured for S/PDIF use and is connected to the 02R's coaxial stereo out digital output. I use Cubase VST/32 5.1 on my Apple G4 450 MP running Mac OS 9.2.1. I'll build a song with some audio plug-ins (usually Waves stuff plus some freeware plugs like the mda stuff, Supa Phaser and North Pole) as inserts on tracks, as Aux sends and as Master FX inserts. I usually also send on an Aux on some tracks to a dedicated output on my 2408 so I can send to the Unity's Reverbs (the volume on that particular return channel will be down and it'll be sending to a pre aux to the Unity card). The Finalizer is usually engaged (on the stereo out inserts). When I'm happy with it, I'll record the result via the 02R's digital coaxial stereo out into the 2408 (on group C, as I said) into a new track on Cubase. Global disabling of monitoring is activated, of course. When I listen back to it, and although Cubase didn't register any overs on it's meters while it recorded (or the Yamaha's meters for that matter!), the track is distorted, almost like it's being re-compressed. And yes, I turn the Finalizer and any Master FX on Cubase off when I listen back to it. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hobbies? There days, next to music, mountain biking is my next most enjoyable passion. I have a pretty cool bike - a Proflex 957 full suspension with graphit swingarm and forks. When I bought it, it was about the lightest full suspension bike around at about 23 lbs. I've taken it to Utah (Moab) and Whistler, but mostly I ride in the Bay Area where I live. We also bought an older house that we have been renovating over the last couple of years. Between working, family (I have 2 boys, ages 6 months and 3 years) and the house, I don't have time for as many activities as I used to so I have a long list of sports and hobbies that I have either given up or do infrequently now. I used to do a lot of scuba diving, but I am getting soft in my old age and now only dive when I go to the tropics. Last time I dove was 2 years ago in Fiji. I was once an avid skiier, - I used to really shred the bumps, but now I mostly cruise. I only get out a couple a times a year now. We are going up to Vancouver over Christmas to see my family, so I am going to try and get up to Whistler while I am there. That might be the only time I get out this year. Hey - Sactog, wanna buy a paintball gun? I used to do that too and I have an old F1 Illustrator I'd love to get rid of. Don.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

joaogo, Off the top, sounds like a gain problem somewhere in the signal chain. What happens when you record to another S/PDIF (DAT/CD) deck? Is it still distorted? You might have to go back to the 2408 through the 02r ADAT output. I've never tried to record tracks from the computer coming in the 02r on the ADAT card, by sending the mix out through the 02r S/PDIF then back into the computer. I usually try to make my signal go "straight", in one device, out to the next device, out to the next, etc. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Im not familier with the Unity card or the Motu soI might be way off - but I do own an O3D and allways record my finished track from the O3D (adat light pipe) back to my Mac, with no problem. How do you record normaly into the mac. Try to record a single track with the same path and see what happens. Try to record without the finalizer, etc and see. Check you bit depth, clock setting etc... Let us know... BTW - don't you just love North-pole. I demoed other filter plugins, but still like the sound of the N-pole better. I just hope it was more stable... Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

The advantage of recording through the S/PDIF outs is that I can record the Unity FX. I can't send the Unity FX to an ADAT out, only through an out on the Unity itself, which I don't have! Also, that would bypass the Finalizer as well... Recording through the CD8-AT's ADAT outputs would make no use whatsoever of the Unity's FX! :(

Looks like there are tons of places you could investigate, but I would do a search on WORD CLOCK problems. You'd be surprized what kind of effect that can have on the final result of your music. You might also check into an Ardvark for handleing your word clock should things lead you that direction. Hope this helps, looks like you have a wonderful setup.

Archived