Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm going through sustain pedals like there's no tomorrow.

nadroj

I thought it was just because I was using cheap-mid range OnStage ones, but a friend recently gave me one of his old pedals that he had no use for. It was near enough mint and was built like a tank (metal, metal, metal, no plastic in sight) but it seems I've knackered that too. Taking them apart, tidying things up (moving springs, cleaning contacts, fastening the shell with tape, etc...) then putting them together again works for around 2 days, then they go bad again. When I say bad I mean they don't trigger unless you slam your foot down and keep it pressed firmly at all times.

I dunno what it is, I gigged without any problems for 2 years using the same plastic OnStage pedal. As of the start of this year I can't seem to get more than 4 months out of anything. Too heavy footed. I do seem to like giving the pedals a beating when I'm getting into it, so I've only myself to blame.

Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations for military grade-NASA endorsed-nuclear bomb resistant sustain pedals out there?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another idea - if you're playing a piano-centric gig, play the entire gig without a sustain pedal. And record yourself.

If you're using the pedal as a piano sustain, I'm guessing you'll quickly find the "sans pedal" will sharpen up your articulation. And you may be pleased with the results after listening back.

Just a thought.

That's a fine idea. I spent a while last year cleaning up my bad pedaling habits and my articulation did improve - however, doing a whole gig could be interesting. I'll definitely give it a shot at weddings. Unsure if I'm ballsy enough to take the risk with the soul band and its ballads though...We'll see! Will try that though, thanks Tim.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

No sweat, bro.

I fight the same thing, which is why I thought of it. I think it's "solo piano playing" disease. My teacher's been busting my balls about it for a while, the only reason I've made any progress. That and his threatening to cut off my right foot. :)

Tim

Hmm, I've been using the same sustain pedal for the last 13 years with no issues! Not even sure what brand/model it is, nothing fancy for sure.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I use yamaha's FC3. I have 3 of them, oldest one is 12 years old and still works ok (with some mechanical noises, since the sound dampening felt has worn out).
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I own a Yamaha FC3, a couple of Roland DP-10s, and an M-Audio SP-2. They're all built like tanks. Sometimes I use them when I'm standing (so they take more force), but I've never had a problem. I'm not a gigging musician, but I play regularly, and they've probably lasted about five years now. The M-Audio's my favourite. Maybe you're just out of luck with your pedals, or maybe you're abusing the pedals. (I have a tendency to do that when jamming on my baby grand piano--I'm very "springy"--and both pedals and strings suffer as a result.) Tim's suggestion is a good one.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I stand when I play so a lot of the time my weight is almost completely resting on the pedals. That is likely the major cause of the problem. I for some reason like the idea of using one of those pedals J.dan linked live. I'll try Tim's idea at the weekend and see how it goes.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I use yamaha's FC3. I have 3 of them, oldest one is 12 years old and still works ok (with some mechanical noises, since the sound dampening felt has worn out).

:thu::thu::thu: Ditto here. The only problem I ever had with one of the 3 was self inflicted. I closed the road case on the cord which bared and broke some of the wiring. :crazy: Taped it up. Still works flawlessly, but sits at home for the practice rig.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I had a Yamaha FC4 that lasted me for years. Got an FC3 when I got my S90ES to have the continuous control, that lasted about 6 years. Now I have a Roland DP10, but have only used it for a couple months so no report on that yet.

Roland DP2- I have 2 of those. Both are over 20 years old. One still works (use it as my fast/slow control on the Hammond). The other still works but it's got some kind of physical problem where it doesn't open/close smoothly, so I don't use it.

It's a mystery why they break. I took the FC3 apart, could not see anything wrong physically. Maybe the pot inside went bad, who knows. Luckily I had a spare at the gig it went bad on.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

No sweat, bro.

I fight the same thing, which is why I thought of it. I think it's "solo piano playing" disease. My teacher's been busting my balls about it for a while, the only reason I've made any progress. That and his threatening to cut off my right foot. :)

Tim

I saw Brad Mehldau play a solo gig earlier this week. Lots of sustain pedal use.

Sounds like you are tromping on pedals too hard. They are not velocity sensitive. LOL.

See what everybody thinks of this technique. Part of this technique is that it is easier on my legs when standing. I rest the sole of my foot on the corner of the pedal chassis then press the pedal with my heel. I feel like I have more control, especially on half pedaling. YMMV.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It is weird for me. I seem to keep breaking the bigger pedals like the Roland DP-10, but little POS footswitches like the DP-2 last ten years with me.

No idea why.

Best and sturdiest pedal ever for me: this Ensoniq footswitch. Built like a tank, a little more weight than most footswitches so it had better grip, and it had a 1/4" input rather than a hardwired cable: brilliant!

I use a $20 m-audio pedal, seems solid enough and has lasted through 2+ years of gigging. Though I don't use it all that much, more for leslie on/off than anything. I've noticed that occasionally I need to hit it again, I put that down to a few gigs we did with sand around the stage (argh).

m Audio is what I have used for last 2 years. With roadies pulling it out and setting it up. I always wrap up everything. But these guys seem to be like gorillas dropping my RD 700 and breaking circuit boards but no problem over 250-300 shows

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

In answer to the name of your post: Is because the energy from the sustain pedal is being transfered to the space/time continuum in which sustaining your perception of today makes it appear that there is no tomorrow. :)

On a serious. Same board all the time? Might be the input jack? I just picked up a Yamaha piano looking pedal. Forget its name but its been holding up.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Not damper pedals, but I've gotten thru four FC7 expression pedals in 2 years (2 at a time). People swear by them here. No real explanation for the "S" shaped metal tab bending so they fall apart scenario other than I must be too heavy! Been using the Boss FV500s the past year and they seem fine so far. Agree that the cheaper 'flat' sustain pedals like the little Yammy last longer than the piano style damper ones by Roland, Korg etc. Think my Fatar one was the best

Any time I've ever strayed from These , I've had problems.

Oh my God! To each his own, I guess. Those DP 2's (various derrivitives) move around all over the floor, slipping and sliding.

I use the Roland DP 10 (with the rubber extension pad keeping everything in place), Yamaha FC-3 Dual Zone, and Live Wire Solutions LWS250 (same chinese made pedal as the On-Stage models)

Can't say that ever had a failure with any of these. I've had the Roland pedal in my arsenal since 1993...never a problem. To tell you the truth, the only pedal I ever had a problem with was an On-Stage model that my Lab got a hold of.......he thought it was a chew toy. (.....or maybe it was the foot odor from playing barefoot). :roll:

.......to the OP, you know it's those size 15 triple E's killing those pedals man :cheers:

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

I can use any pedal I want and have no slippage. I am a huge fan if carpet lined Pedal cases an velcro. The main goal is fast setups. Remove the case top then plug them in the reverse the process on teardown but use 1 momentary 2 sustain and 3 CV pedals live.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can use any pedal I want and have no slippage. I am a huge fan if carpet lined Pedal cases an velcro. The main goal is fast setups. Remove the case top then plug them in the reverse the process on teardown but use 1 momentary 2 sustain and 3 CV pedals live.

+1. I use the Gator Pedal Tote with two Yamaha FC-7's, and FC-4, and a FC-3 velcroed to the pedal board; which is a control pedal and sustain for each keyboard. Then I also put an FC-5 foot switch in there for toggling the rotor on the Stage 2; no room for that on the pedal board but I just pull it out of the case and set it on the floor beside the board. All the cables are tied together and labeled for easy setup. Best $70 I ever spent.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Those little Yamaha wedges are virtually indestructible. You can stand on them all night long. I had one fail the other night with a screw coming out, but I'd owned it since about 1993....

I also have a Roland DP-10 from the mid-1990s, it has a crack in it that was causing problems with the pedal travel not being enough, so I removed the felt to increase the travel and replaced the felt with a bit of medical tape to eliminate the clacking.

I do have to wonder about your pedaling, though. In a "rock band" situation I don't use my pedal much at all. Too easy to make things muddy. Same reason why I back off the reverb.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I bet this guy burned through a lot of them too:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130426204517/rapbattlecentral/images/thumb/8/8b/Frankenstein.gif/180px-Frankenstein.gif

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Any time I've ever strayed from These , I've had problems.

Oh my God! To each his own, I guess. Those DP 2's (various derrivitives) move around all over the floor, slipping and sliding.

I use gaff tape rolled over to be double stick and stick 2 of them side by side. I play standing up with an apex stand with none of those pedal room issues you guys all complain about. I can sustain 2 keyboards with one foot, and rock it left to right to do independent sustain control of two keyboards with one foot. Never had a failure since 1996 of one of these.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived