Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about starting over and going all virtual

Jasonbass32

My long suffering last classical piano teacher caught me on the tail end of my "legitimate" music career. I was already playing in bands and making the switch to organ. Needless to say my dedication was half hearted.

She used to introduce me to others as "her greatest failure". :D

Sorry about that, Miss Hanna!

Moe

---

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After decades of playing hardware, I am virtually all software in my home studio now. My favorites are Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 3, and Alchemy, all running inside Digital Performer.

I have a ton of other software instruments, but those are the ones I seem to use the most.

I am using my Jupiter-50 as my keyboard controller. Why? Because I prefer synth action and 76 keys. I also like being able to just sit down and play the SuperNatural sounds on the Jupiter without having to involve my DAW. I like the Jupiter's pianos, EPs, pads, strings, synth sounds, etc.

I still have several other hardware instruments, because I use them when I get together and play music with other human beings. Maybe someday I will have a high-powered laptop that I can use as a gigantic portable software instrument, but until then, I like using good old fashioned keyboards when jamming with friends.

But I can wholeheartedly recommend the move to software for composing and recording purposes. Do it.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Regarding controllers:

I do love the PX5S. It's got a great action (and very good sounds) for a board at that price, and it's unbelievably lightweight. The Casio support (people and resources) are second to none.

If you need more MIDI control, zones and re-mapping, more built-in pedal inputs, a good option to consider is a second hand PC3x.

As for software:

I highly recommend MOTU's Mach 5. It's very stable, very robust. When it does (rarely) fail, it does so gracefully and recovers quickly. My partner and I use it on all of our Broadway shows... and the players all tell me that it causes far fewer headaches than Mainstage or anything else.

Also I strongly recommend the RME interfaces. They are pricey, but worth it. Again, very robust, very reliable. You can drop 'em down a flight of stairs and they don't seem to mind. (Don't ask.)

Regarding Fatar:

While some of their older actions had some mechanical issues (10+ years ago), the current TP40 line is extremely reliable. And it strikes a great balance for piano AND non-piano sounds like organ, clav, synth, xylo (16th notes). Trying to play those quicker sounds on a heavier action is a bit like old people making love - slow and sloppy. :P

EEWWwwwweeee!! :D ;D.

Anyway , my friend Eddie Rayner has done away with big mixers and other hardware , most of it done on computer these days.

Brett

• 3 months later...

Just an update and a few more questions, thanks

I have started the change over to virtual. I already had logic and mainstage. My first additional purchase was native instruments komplete (not the ultimate). I added an Acoustic guitar library and overall am very happy with the acoustic sounds, a major upgrade from what I had. My problem is with the synths. I really like monarch and have come to get a bit of a grasp on it but the others are a bit confusing. I am mainly a preset surfer when it comes to synth sounds, find something close and tweak it a little. The presets in this package (probably 90 percent) appear to be geared towards electronic dance type music, which is not my thing. So I am looking to add another product. I tried several of the arturia demos and did not really care for them. The jupiter was ok IMO. I am considering the following.

Halion sonic 2 - from what I have read this is literally a virtual rompler workstation put together by the same folks who did work on the motifs. Downloaded the manual and it looks to have a good bit of synth presets. Reviews are mostly positive but not many. Price is very good. I can get it for about $200. It also only takes about 15 gbs.

Omnisphere - I am really GASSING for this program but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Seems like alot of overkill for me. I am into classic synth sounds, not all that atmospheric movie soundtrack stuff. But the reviews and demos are some of the best I have heard. I also could use the vocal patches.

What do you guys think about these soft synths. Any opinions.

Secondly, I kept the FAntom x as my controller. Good decision as I use the internal sounds as well. I am still looking to sell the nord electro. Looks like I may only be able to get about $1500 for it.

I borrowed an 88 key yamaha from a friend for a while and just could not get used to the weighted action. The electro action has grown on me a bit. I am considering selling the electro and buying a numa piano compact to use as an 88 key controller. It has the tp9 piano action which i read is pretty good semi weighted action for piano. The difference in the sale of the electro and purchase of the numa should cover my costs in software.

Ant thoughts or options are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason

Given this:

really like monarch and have come to get a bit of a grasp on it ...

it sounds like you really won't be doing much programming at all. No value judgment meant here--really!--it just sounds like the out-of-the-box preset experience is the driving factor.

So, you already have Mainstage AND Komplete and still aren't quite finding what you want... which is classic synths and choirs?

Are you sure you want new plug-ins instead of more libraries for your existing software?

-John

I make software noises.

I don't do allot of programming. Going to try to learn more about it though. I did extensive research for a kontakt library with a lot of classic synth sounds/ rompler type synth sounds and only saw Vir2 VI.One, which has mostly terrible reviews.

The choirs are not overly important. Just something along with the acoustic guitars that I could maybe see my self using if I bought omnisphere.

Too bad they don't make the roland FA in a vst or rack module that would work in logic as audio units. That's probably the perfect product I'm looking for. Lots and lots of presets.

The Integra 7 doesn't work in Logic as an AU? Personally, I love Logic Pro X's synth presets. ALL of Logic's presets, for that matter.

A quick derailment of the current topic - "Thinking about starting over and going all virtual..." was what I was (to a certain degree) - at one point - considering. I recently got a Mac Air, and love it for what I'm using it for (stepping through many GOOD QUALITY sounds), however, I don't think I'll ever be using software for any portion of my "gig setup" simply because I don't think I'll ever grasp the full control over sounds (editing, using, tweaking, ect.) like I can on most hardware instruments. The grass is always greener, and after buying a laptop and running MainStage, my XW-P1 is looking better than ever.

Just an update and a few more questions, thanks

I have started the change over to virtual. I already had logic and mainstage. My first additional purchase was native instruments komplete (not the ultimate). I added an Acoustic guitar library and overall am very happy with the acoustic sounds, a major upgrade from what I had. My problem is with the synths. I really like monarch and have come to get a bit of a grasp on it but the others are a bit confusing. I am mainly a preset surfer when it comes to synth sounds, find something close and tweak it a little. The presets in this package (probably 90 percent) appear to be geared towards electronic dance type music, which is not my thing. So I am looking to add another product. I tried several of the arturia demos and did not really care for them. The jupiter was ok IMO. I am considering the following.

Halion sonic 2 - from what I have read this is literally a virtual rompler workstation put together by the same folks who did work on the motifs. Downloaded the manual and it looks to have a good bit of synth presets. Reviews are mostly positive but not many. Price is very good. I can get it for about $200. It also only takes about 15 gbs.

Omnisphere - I am really GASSING for this program but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Seems like alot of overkill for me. I am into classic synth sounds, not all that atmospheric movie soundtrack stuff. But the reviews and demos are some of the best I have heard. I also could use the vocal patches.

What do you guys think about these soft synths. Any opinions.

Secondly, I kept the FAntom x as my controller. Good decision as I use the internal sounds as well. I am still looking to sell the nord electro. Looks like I may only be able to get about $1500 for it.

I borrowed an 88 key yamaha from a friend for a while and just could not get used to the weighted action. The electro action has grown on me a bit. I am considering selling the electro and buying a numa piano compact to use as an 88 key controller. It has the tp9 piano action which i read is pretty good semi weighted action for piano. The difference in the sale of the electro and purchase of the numa should cover my costs in software.

Ant thoughts or options are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason

I've just done the same with my setup, working mainly in Logic and Mainstage, MacBook Pro and MOTU 828Mk3, and Kawai MP6 (soon to be MP7) as the controller with a Numa Organ 2. Working really well at the moment for me. Big test will be the first gig for this rig at the end of the month.

Picked up a bunch of the NI libraries as well, Monark is pretty cool and means I don't have to take my Voyager out live. I've also got Omnisphere, it is a very cool synth engine, but like you said, more geared toward atmospheric and soundtrack sounds, but it can easily do the classic synth sounds as well. Possibly a little overkill. Haven't played with the Halio stuff.

The other synth I use, that might interest you, is the KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2.6. It is very cheap (and currently on sale for the next couple of days!), extremely powerful with multiple synthesis engines, sounds fantastic, and even though its not from a major software company it has garnered very good reviews from just about everywhere. Oh, and it has heaps of presets in different styles, and lots of expansion libraries (though most are dance oriented there are a whole bunch of classic synth sound libraries as well). Might be worth checking out!

Keys: Moog Voyager EB, Virus Indigo 2, Numa Organ 2, Kuzweil PC361, Korg M3-73, Korg SV1

Other Synths: SE Boomstar SEM, Ciat-Lonbarde Synths, Eurorack Modular

If you are primarily interested in presets +1 on SynthMaster. Often on special, with a wide range of included presets plus other packs that can be purchased separately. Plus it offers huge and deep editing options. The downside is that like most high end synths the interface can take time to learn. Another more expensive option than SynthMaster is SampleTank 3, again huge range of presets but simpler interface with fewer editing options.

Both include emulations of all the classic synths but you may want to tweak these to get them to sound like your recollection of how the classic synths sounded.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Hi Jason,

I own HALion 5.x, which is the bigger brother to HALion Sonic 2. In a word, I love HALion. I don't think HALion Sonic has the same virtual analog synth engine from HALion 5, but the sample-based soundsets should be the same, and in my view, they are great. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the old HALion soundsets from Wizoo, and there are some very good pianos, EPs, strings, brass, drums, etc.

HALion is probably the workhorse in my rig, and I can't think of a track I've done that I haven't used it for something.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Jason,

Depending on the style of sounds you are looking for (vintage analog vs. crisp digital, etc.), you might check out the OP-X Pro II (seen here).

I can't vouch for the stability, etc., as I don't own it yet, but it has gotten some favorable reviews from the forum, and the demo sounds fantastic. It's modeled off of classic Oberheims.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Jason,

Depending on the style of sounds you are looking for (vintage analog vs. crisp digital, etc.), you might check out the OP-X Pro II (seen here).

I can't vouch for the stability, etc., as I don't own it yet, but it has gotten some favorable reviews from the forum, and the demo sounds fantastic. It's modeled off of classic Oberheims.

+100 for the OP-X!!!

Jason,

+100 for the OP-X!!! It's been very stable for me running in Sonar X3.

OP-XII is great sounding and has all the classics, a very good library aswell. only wish they would port to 64bit to not have to deal with a wrapper. good for us but they see no reason.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Archived