Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Privia PX5S: can I download different reverb sound into it?

speedyone

Hi all,

My wife just got a new Privia for playing shows, but doesn't care for the built-in reverb.

She has a Clavinova for playing at home, and that has a TON of different reverbs/echo....Halls, Rooms, Studio, Tunnel, stereo ping-pong, etc.

We were surprised that although the Privia sounds fantastic, there is only ONE built-in reverb.

Can we download different reverbs into the keyboard, in the same way that you can load impulse responses into a computer program?

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are multiple reverbs in it. 2 Halls, 1 room and a plate reverb...not to mention the ping pong delays, piano lid simulation, chorus, flangers, phasers and more.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

What it is about it you she doesn't like? There are quite a number of parameters which can be adjusted to change the overall tone of the early reflections and the reverb itself not to mention changing the reverb time and more.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hello all, and thanks for the replies!

The included user manual is really quite pathetic, and does the Privia no justice, as far as telling you all that it can do....or even HOW to do it.

I've had to search online for various programming tutorials, and I didn't know there were any other kinds of reverbs! Thanks Mike for the heads up on that.

I play guitar myself, and am very familiar with fx and programming, early reflections, verbs and delays, etc. For lack of better descriptive terms, my wife wants a more detailed reverb/slight delay. Right now, we simply had a "generic" reverb, set at 39 of 127, with a very slight delay 008, to get a tiny bit of ambience.

On her Clavinova, she has her sound set to Hall #5 (a medium sized hall) and a stereo echo. There are early reflections built-in, which creates a fullness to the sound, and when combined, all these fx create a sort of full/rich tone that also has an ambience which "trails behind" the notes, but doesn't make it sound too muddy.

I have no problem adjusting different parameters-- delay in milliseconds, early reflections, density/decay/dwell, mix, etc -- I just don't know how to access them!

On the reverb for example, all I KNEW to do was to press the edit button, then go to tone, then go to DSP or Effect, and turn the "general reverb" level up or down.

How do you access the menu with Room, Plate and Hall reverbs?

I appreciate the help, because I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks!

The manuals (there are two) for the PX-5S are some of the worst I have ever seen. I thought the user manual for the XW-P1 was poor but it's a model of clarity compared to these.

Casio may provide great bang for the buck and great user support (through the tireless efforts of Mike Martin) but the company's product documentation is dreadful. Whomever is in charge of manuals should be forced to perform seppuku and replaced by someone who knows what they are doing.

Speedyone,

Left side of the front panel there are 3 buttons dedicated for effects access.

DSP: This is your insert effect. Each tone on each zone gets one of these. Usually this is a specialized effect for a particular sound like a phaser for an electric piano or even other things like distortions. You'll also find a Multi-tap delay here which is different than the one in the System effects.

System: The PX-5S has 3 system effects. Pressing this button will let you see the Delay, Chorus and Reverb that each zone can access. Each zone has independent send levels. If you select the Reverb Edit menu here, the very first parameter is Reverb Type. So here you can choose Room, Hall 1, Hall 2, or Plate reverb each with a variety of parameters.

Master: The Master Effects Section has a 4 band EQ as well as a compressor.

Obviously I watch this forum and you'll find other Privia users here but I'd like to point out some of the other resources on the web:

www.px-5s.com - a hub website that Scott Hamlin created. Links to any all PX-5S related materials

www.casiomusicforums.com - Support site for Casio products and the place to download new sounds for the PX-5S. Many great new sounds posted recently, such as the new strings in particular.

Casio PX-5S Facebook users group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

Over 1200 members and growing every day. Very active group! Need an answer any time day or night, post your question here.

You'll also find hours and hours of PX-5S tutorials on Casio's Youtube Page All the PX-5S clinics that we've done on Ustream.tv are posted here. There are hours of tutorials on the PX-5S.

-Mike Martin

Casio

One last comment that may help.

With most, but not all Stage Settings, sliders 4-6 are set to effects mix. Slider 6 is Reverb depth, Slider 5 is Delay mix and Slider 4 is chorus. So reverb is almost always on the nearest slider.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The manuals (there are two) for the PX-5S are some of the worst I have ever seen. I thought the user manual for the XW-P1 was poor but it's a model of clarity compared to these.

Casio may provide great bang for the buck and great user support (through the tireless efforts of Mike Martin) but the company's product documentation is dreadful. Whomever is in charge of manuals should be forced to perform seppuku and replaced by someone who knows what they are doing.

I really can't disagree with this, but feel bound to point out that Casio are not alone in providing terrible user manuals -they're not even the worst offenders!

Nord manuals are not brilliant, Korg are not models of clarity either.

The Hammond SK1 manual reads like it was written by someone of very low IQ, while recovering from a long weekend on crack, but it is still better than the pathetic effort produced for the Yamaha Motif.

However, for total moronic garbage, I recommend almost anything produced by Roland.

After Jerry Kovarsky, wrote his "Dummies" book, I contacted him, and suggested that there was a lifetime's work available for him if he wanted it, doing owners manuals in a language that people could understand. It was done tongue in cheek, but I'm sure that most people would shell out extra for a well written "how to" book for their particular keyboard.

I know I would.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

After Jerry Kovarsky, wrote his "Dummies" book, I contacted him, and suggested that there was a lifetime's work available for him if he wanted it, doing owners manuals in a language that people could understand. It was done tongue in cheek, but I'm sure that most people would shell out extra for a well written "how to" book for their particular keyboard.

I'm sure you're right. But the author of such an alternative manual would get very little reward ($$$) for the considerable effort expended (and given all the features of even a budget keyboard nowadays, it's a LOT of effort). That's why there are very few such books.

I do understand that Mike Martin and Jerry Kovarsky are writing a basic "get started" book for the PX-5S.

I understand Mike is doing it in his "spare time"!!!!! The man must never sleep :laugh:

I am really hoping that this is done under headings, eg

Connections and Switching On

Updating Firmware

Selecting and Saving Stage Settings

Downloads etc.

I also hope that it is available in the UK. I, for one, can't wait, my credit card is in my hand, trembling in anticipation.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Archived