Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig are you going to do a NAMM report here?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been posting some comments, but right now I'm busting my butt to get the NAMM show report ready for the March issue of EQ. So it will be a while before I can spend any quality time here at Rancho SSS...sorry!

I feel that Craig should probably prioritize getting his NAMM stuff to the maazines who pay for such info before treating us to it at no cost.

Cause, well, I like Craig.

But here's my NAMM report, in case you're interested:

THURSDAY 1/15: Got to the show early out of habit, forgetting that I was no longer an exhibitor and would have to wait until 10:00 to go in like everyone else. So I kicked back and ate a banana. then I ran into some friends and we chatted. At 10:00, the gates to the Emerald City opened and we beholded the great and powerful Oz. No, actually I beholded the great and powerful Apple booth right in front. So, starting there, I proceeded to go around and say hi to all my cronies in the industry. I also went and saw my clients who were exhibiting, making sure they didn't need anything from me immediately. Once that was established, I started my trek around the five halls of the Anaheim Convention Center, handing out cards and talking to folks who might require my services. I did this until 6:00, stopping briefly for a lunch meeting. At 6:00, I went to a little party for advertisers in Mix Magazine. I left rather early, about 10:00, and went home.

FRIDAY: See Thursday. I spent more time in the guitar hall that day, and actually strummed a few fine instruments before getting back to business. Went to another magazine soiree that evening.

SATURDAY: See Friday. I got down into the basement of Hall E some that day, which is a neat potpourri of everything from makers of wacky guitar picks to high-end technology companies that are just starting out and can't afford the bigger, more high-priced booths in the main halls upstairs. Toward the end of the day, I became acutely aware that I'm not used to walking 18 miles per day for three days in a row while carrying a 25-pound briefcase. Ow. That evening, I wanted to go to the Keyboard Corner dinner, but had made some arrangements with an old friend who I saw very rarely, and went to dinner with him instead. Then I went home. I'm getting old.

SUNDAY: See all other days. Cruised, schmoozed, talked to current clients, new prospects, magazine folks and so on. Was more interested in football scores than the show at that point, which told me it was time to go. I split the show at about 3:00. Went home. Soaked feet. Watched football. Slept.

Well, there you have it. NAMM through the eyes of a Weasel. :thu:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Johnny B:

Did you catch the girls at Dean's booth? And if you did catch them, what did you do next?

Yes. They horrify me. I am so turned off by that particular look in women that my stomach turns a bit. I'm no big feminist, so it's not about the societal effect of portraying women as sex objects. That is what it is.

But the actual sight of them...the troweled-on makeup, the implants, the ridiculous stripper outfits...it (like much of NAMM's social structure) is something that is an anachronism. The people who get turned on by that, I fear, are sad people. I love beautiful women, and these were not those. This must be why I don't dig strip clubs and such places where that type is standard.

So, I averted my gaze when cruising past the Dean booth, or the Gemini booth. But there were quite a a few gorgeous ladies around the show, mostly businesswomen. I am more excited by a gal with a big brain than one with big boobs.

And so it goes.

- Jeff

Well yeah that look can be overdone and not attractive on some ladies, and yet, for certain ladies it seems to work well. Look at Britney or J-Lo or ... (fill in the blank of a woman you find sexy).

But I'm glad you found many women in the business attractive, works for me. I guess it's sort of a subjective standard, some turn you on and some don't. I find no logical basis or rationale for why one does it for me, while another does not.

Here's my report: I got to meet up with Craig, Bob Moog, and Dick and Jimmy Dale again.

http://tinyurl.com/3ef9f

http://tinyurl.com/2rda4

http://tinyurl.com/34e9q

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

SATURDAY: See Friday. I got down into the basement of Hall E some that day, which is a neat potpourri of everything from makers of wacky guitar picks to high-end technology companies that are just starting out and can't afford the bigger, more high-priced booths in the main halls upstairs. ...

- Jeff

Actually, those spaces cost exactly the same as the best space upstairs.

It all depends on your priority, which depends on how many consecutive years you have exhibited, and how many square feet you rent. Newbies get exiled downstairs...

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Actually, those spaces cost exactly the same as the best space upstairs.

You, sir, are correct. I knew this and still implied otherwise, for some reason. I blame post-NAMM traumatic stress disorder.

One more note on Hall E: many of the super-huge companies started out down there, and ended up in big booths upstairs but a few years later (sometimes less). No one should ignore that hall if you want to know what's coming up next.

- Jeff

I always make little bets with myself about who in Hall E will be back, who will move upstairs, and who we'll see again. Like the company with the guitar that had the triangular rotating neck? I thought they'd be a one time only thing, and I was right. Didn't get down to Hall E this year, though, as I was only there Friday for about 4 hours and had many social calls to make (plus, I had to buy my traditional new slide from Luther Tatum at Big Heart Slides. It's the only NAMM purchase I make any more, by agreement with my wife. This year it was one of his new Red Devil slides).

I have three albums of pictures posted here:

http://homepage.mac.com/gmstudio99/PhotoAlbum1.html

http://homepage.mac.com/gmstudio99/PhotoAlbum2.html

http://homepage.mac.com/gmstudio99/PhotoAlbum3.html

Down towards the bottom of the first album are pictures from my favorite "Hall E" booth this year...the Flipout Guitar.

Lady Liberty looks mighty dangerous for those who like to do high-kicking on stage.

"Oh...sorry 'bout that mate. Didn't mean to catch you there. Do you need some water? Oh...just some air. Sure, I understand."

:D

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived