Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you focus?

nickd

I'm at a little bit of a crossroads, and struggling to think about how to focus - would appreciate comments and thoughts!

I'm a weekend warrior with aspirations to do a little more, and over the last 25 years or so I've played in a succession of mostly cover bands and duo gigs (I'm in my mid-forties with a day job, but music is a useful second income).

A year ago I bought a Nord C1 with the idea of really sorting out my Hammond-playing chops and getting a band going. But that never really happened...

Now, I've just started a jazz piano trio and I'm really excited by the opportunities there to do something good.

But - I feel that I change my direction too often, and I end up not really getting expert at anything. My time to study and practice is limited, so every hour has to count. Also, I'm not sure if I should hold on to the Nord C1, or sell it and use the money to upgrade to a really good digital piano (I also have an old Privia I'm looking to upgrade, and a Kurzweil SP4-7 I'm going to hold on to for dep/sub gigs).

What do you think? How do you balance different demands for organ/synth/piano etc technique and knowledge? How can I decide whether to stick to piano and make that my long-term goal?

I appreciate this is my decision to make... but would be interested to hear how others approach this kind of question.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard when you love music and want to play all sorts of stuff. I don't have a great answer for you, except to consider what do you gravitate towards naturally? What would you play if it were *entirely* up to you? It's easy to say, "I'd love to play like that, I wish I could play organ/clav/whatever," but step back and consider what would be nice vs. what you really want to do.

OTOH like you guys say above, a gig has its own demands. Some of those demands will match what you really want to do and others not so much, but you still have to do them. If that's okay with you, follow it.

I don't know about your money situation, but I'd hold on to the C1 just in case anyway, and focus on the jazz piano trio thing. That sounds like an area you can spend some time. At some point, the organ will probably come back into focus for you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks Joe, good points. I think the jazz piano trio is what I *want* to play, as you say - and still has the potential to reach workable size audiences and get regular gigs.

I've been lucky enough to meet a good drummer and bass player who share the same ideas as me about what to play and how to play it, so it's looking promising.

Mid-forties - you still have time to at least work on "doing it all," not quite so easy when 70+.

First, you have two decent boards that you already own, the Nord and Kurzweil - for the moment, keep them. You have already bought them, no point in losing $$ by selling then buying something else, until you are more sure what you want. You can cover a lot of ground between them, in a lot of different genres and styles.

On the older Privia - if it is working at all for you at the moment, keep it unless you get a really good offer. Because you don't know yet what you want to change to.

By now, you are probably well able to use any of the three and get the most out of them. With ANY new keyboard, there will be a learning process before it really fits smoothly into your routine (example - it will be some time before the SK1 that I've had for a few days gets into my head like the PC3 series, which I've been using since 2008).

Next - you express interest in gigging as a reasonable second income. Focus your mind on what type of music you can play in your general location that will combine being something you enjoy playing AND can likely make some $$ out of the process. Unless your area of the UK is different from my eastern NC area, jazz trio won't generate the $$ (this is by no means a knock against jazz - just a realization that it is one of the harder genres to make profitable).

Also consider just how important each of those two factors is to you - is the money more important, or the enjoyment? Only you can answer this question.

Regardless of the decision on this part, your last post sounds like the jazz trio is working out well (looking promising), so don't drop it unless it becomes either less promising, or something better is very definitely possible. There is considerable difficulty in finding others who share the same ideas, especially over a period of time.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the tips.

Second income is probably as much from sub gigs and duo gigs as from the jazz, but there are quite a few moderately-paid jazz gigs around here that would bring some cash in.

I think enjoyment is more important than money at present... so that helps give me an answer of what to do.

I guess my difficulty is sticking to a decision long-term (over years not months), but that means being strict about turning down other things and focussing on one main band. That's just down to me.

10,000 hours. Isn't that the rule?

It sounds like you really want to be serious about it, so I'd say put those hours in, and if the occasional job requires you to learn some different style, then do it, but you don't have to be a perfectionist about it.

In my opinion, a good musician can, or should, do a little bit of everything. And, also in my luddite philosophy, getting hung up on gadgets is a little bit of a loser's game. You have pro gear already, so just put in the hours and try to play with quality people.

In my opinion, a good musician can, or should, do a little bit of everything. And, also in my luddite philosophy, getting hung up on gadgets is a little bit of a loser's game. You have pro gear already, so just put in the hours and try to play with quality people.

Great advice. :thu:

Not knowing how much time we have left on the planet, I would not focus on the 10k hours as a hard rule. :laugh:

As mentioned, don't worry about selling or buying any gear either.

Focus on playing with that enthusiastic drummer and bassist especially if they are quality musos. Therein lies the fun/enjoyment of playing music.

Play with like-minded cats who want to win. If the trio sounds great, regardless of genre/style, folks will dig the music and you will make money too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks guys for the words, advice and encouragement.

Yes, we had another rehearsal with the trio last night and it's starting to sound good! The Privia is doing sterling duty but at some point I'll replace it... no hurry.

For me, nothing makes me focus more than recording. You play something record it, and then play it back. When you play it back to yourself you will discover what you really like to do, because as you play it back over, and over, and over, you will start to either really start liking it, or you will start thinking, man I can do better than that, or sometimes you will say that doesn't sound as good as I thought it did, and you will start playing things different. Different part, different technique, different type sound, ect.

It is really eye opening, and for me that's when I really discover what I truly like playing, and how to play it better.

You don't have to get an expensive recorder, just something you know will be easy to operate, and that you can use to make copies of your music so you can listen to it in the car, friends house, ect. Plus I do find it a lot of fun.

I have recently rediscovered the bordering- on- joy, effect, of practicing. I am playing scales, parts of scales, arpeggios etc. I am playing simple things... not even bothering with extended harmonies.. mainly triadic structures and scale segments and occasional melodic ideas.

I delayed this activity for far too long, relying on natural talent, a regret.

I think discovering the, perhaps hidden, joy in playing simpler things, well, is a wonderful thing.

You SAY, enjoyment is more important than income... so ( you have the disadvantage of a day gig.. so why not take the HUGE advantage inherent in that day gig as well ?) enjoy the day to day exposure to the elements of music... scales, triads, and let your inner muse guide you into the vastness available. The music itself will lead you, and being led creates the effect you desire... FOCUSSED attention.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Seriously, to find out whether the C1 is worth having for you, join a band where you play only organ. That'll force you to really learn how to use the beast, even in cases (like another current thread) where it's not what most folks would choose for the song.

Stick it out for several years.

Also, find a local blues jam with no keyboards in the backline, or whoever brings keys is happy to alternate with you, and just bring the C1.

You have a great set of tools. They may not be ideal for you since the C1 isn't the easiest to use along with other keyboards just due to its size with both tiers. Most folks with C1's are those who cut their teeth on Hammond and over the decades developed chops that require two tiers and the right spacing between them.

For less dedicated Hammond fans (like me), one tier is plenty, and a smaller keyboard is a lot more convenient. But heck, since you have it, you might as well give it a fair chance, and the only way to do that is to commit to it for long enough to find out whether it makes sense. Meanwhile keep your other gigs where you play piano or use the kurz.

Good points on the C1, practicing and recording, thanks.

I do a few sub gigs occasionally for a local funk/soul band, so maybe the next time I do one I'll take the C1 and do it as an organ-only gig to see what happens...

Archived