Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pronunciation of "ARP" Synthesizers

dje31

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or "Arp," like "Harp" without the "H"?

^This^ My first synth was an Arp Odyssey, and that's what I always called it. I figured if each letter was supposed to be pronounced, they would have put periods after each letter. And even then, people would most likely come to pronounce it "arp". :laugh:

><>

Steve

The ARP name is the initials of it's founder Alan R. Pearlman. Since it's initials or an acronym, pronunciation would be "A-R-P", not the word arp.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Arp, like Harp.

+1

And while we're at it...

Moog is pronounced like mow (the lawn), not the sound a cow makes

There is no t in Kurzweil

There is no w at the end of Yamaha

Casio is pronounced like casserole (believe it or not, I've heard it pronounced Kahsio)

Casio is pronounced like casserole (believe it or not, I've heard it pronounced Kahsio)

Kashio is the founders name. The company was named Casio to it would be easier for people to pronounce.

Unfortunately way to often I hear it pronounced Cazio.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Unless you're from Newfoundland, in which case it's AIRP, or Saskatchewan, where it's ERP.

I had an uncle who thought he had a Tee-ethnics digital piano.

Here for the gear.

Now I'm thinking I should have made this post as a poll.

I probably won't be able to break the habit of calling it A-R-P, right or wrong.

Someone should e-mail Allen R. Perlman! I think he's still on the right side of the dirt.

Arp, like Harp.

+1

And while we're at it...

Moog is pronounced like mow (the lawn), not the sound a cow makes

This should be a sticky.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Definitely rhymes with harp in Canada. Otherwise, people will think you are saying, "Eh, our pee!"

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I don't know what it was SUPPOSED to be pronounced as. There are some company originals still active on the Chroma list that I can ask.

In practice, back in the day it in everyday use it was "Arp". It was just to ungainly to say "AE AR PEE Odyssey."

Moe

---

Kashio is the founders name. The company was named Casio to it would be easier for people to pronounce.

Do you know if Mr. Kashio enjoys casserole? ;)

http://blog.timesunion.com/ontheedge//files/2013/06/cheese.jpg

Yummy.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It was just to ungainly to say "AE AR PEE Odyssey."

Well, given how "the kids" do it these days, and how online chatting and texting has killed grammar, spelling, and punctuation, it would be "A-R-P-Ah-D-C"

Which reminds me: "Weird Al" strikes again!

Speaking of ARP... can I have one of these, please?

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/sites/all/themes/gforce/images/syn_archiveARP2500_02.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'll continue to say Arp (rhymes with harp). And I'll continue to be just about the only person I personally know that pronounces Moog properly (like moe). Hell, even Jean Michel Jarre can't pronounce Moog correctly (maybe that's his intrinsic French hatred of Germans). But unless I hear from Allen P., Phillip Dodds, or anyone else who worked at ARP, I'll stick with what I know.

Reminds me of the goofy ways people would try to pronounce Ensoniq.

It's probably been covered before, but since you brought it up:

en-SAH-nick?

en-so-NEEK?

en-sah-NEEK?

en-sah-nee-KAY?

Care-its?

Reminds me of the goofy ways people would try to pronounce Ensoniq.

It's probably been covered before, but since you brought it up:

en-SAH-nick?

en-so-NEEK?

en-sah-NEEK?

en-sah-nee-KAY?

Care-its?

Is this one really so confusing? You pronounce the q like a c.

en-SAH-nick?

But what do I know? I say A R P instead of arp. But I DO know how to pronounce Moog.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Definitely rhymes with harp in Canada. Otherwise, people will think you are saying, "Eh, our pee!"

You speak for all of Canada from blink-and-you'll-miss-it Inverary, do you? :laugh:

In any case, arp as in harp is correct. At least, if you believe the company's name would certainly be pronounced correctly on all of the promotional demo records they released back in the day. Here's an example:

[video:youtube]

^^^ They use the opening of The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" as an example, but hasn't it long been established that was a looped organ?

If that's the case, how can we believe anything else in this, let alone the pronunciation of the company name? I call shenanigans!

The ARP name is the initials of it's founder Alan R. Pearlman. Since it's initials or an acronym, pronunciation would be "A-R-P", not the word arp.

But you don't pronounce all acronyms by stating each initial. Some companies and marketing people go to great lengths to come up with acronyms that either form a word or something very pronounceable. I don't know anyone that pronounces HCFA as H-C-F-A. Same with HIPAA, NATO, laser.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived