Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

zephonic

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...what a game!!!

Desaster for Spain. The End of an Era ?

Next classic on sunday:

England - Italy !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Next classic on sunday:

England - Italy !

Neither England or Italy are playing that well. Wonder if they'll both come out fighting or look for a safe game draw.

I see Germany as your location. Our pundits have them written off - "Spain are too good, Brazil has the home advantage, the later games are at times when it will be too hot for the European teams."

We've now seen that you can score against Brasil.

Spain / Holland result - we're now all wondering if Spain will make it out of that group - the game versus Chile will be very interesting.

And Germany ... always solid in these competitions.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Yes, they are always strong in the EM or WM !

There is a lot of pessimism here in Germany about our team because

of loss of Reus and some key players are not fit: Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Neuer....BUT they are always strong as a team.

They want the CUP !

It's the last chance for our so called "golden generation":

Lahm, Özil, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Müller....

We'll see..... Belgium is very strong too!

My personal favorite is Argentina.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

I was testing out a new S2-Sat box, so I viewed a bit via BBC-HD.

Congratulations for the Dutch team for their victory on technical power. I think after acting a beautiful enough bull until 1-0, the Spanish were wondering where they'd stashed their napalm and just couldn't find it...

T.

It was GREAT watching the Dutchmen rout the Spaniards! And as Man U fan, I enjoyed seeing Van Persie play well.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Wednesday, when Spain meets Chile.

The good news is that I am on vacation this coming week. Well, I also have the pleasure of mostly working from home, so I should be able to keep an eye on most of the WC games this time around.

It should be fun, provided the refs don't make too many glaring errors.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

What's going on? This is a bonkers opening stage. I'm gigging Fri Sat Sun - so all I've seen is Brazil's opener (and our bookies still have them at 3-1 favs - let's see how Argentina do).

Can't believe these results I'm seeing as they come on on the iPhones at the gigs.

Costa Rica beating Uruguay 3-1? I think Fifa have them ranked below Scotland - Uruguay's 7th or 11th last time I looked.

So Spain need to get their act together or the current world champs might not make it out of the group stage.

Argentina. No crazy Maradonna managing this time. Looking forward to see what shape Sabella has them in. Messi - what is he 27, 28 years old. He'll be looking for a big world cup - and he's the players around him to make it happen.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

So Argentina-Bosnia H. was a schnoozefest. Argentina is gonna have to step it up if they want to prevail against stronger opponents. They were lucky to be gifted that first goal.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I think Germany vs. Portugal will be a great match!

+ 1 !!! :thu:

Portugal were sloppy and stupid. Other than that, they lost 4-0, and Pepe is suspended for their game against the USA. Not a good start for the Portugese side.

:nopity:

YEAH !!!!!!!!

Go Germany Go !!!!!!!!

:-)))))))))))))))

Germany looked good today, and so did Argentina yesterday, although not as good as Germany.

I hope Germany makes it to the final because they are one of the better teams in the competition and have a lot of depth.

Great tournament so far.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Portugal were sloppy and stupid. Other than that, they lost 4-0, and Pepe is suspended for their game against the USA. Not a good start for the Portugese side.

Yeah, but the thing with Portugal is that they are consistenty overrated. They have never been a great team, but since the Figo days everybody considers them to be a genuine contender, when in fact they never got further than 3rd in the World Cup and that was in 1966. They hosted the EuroCup in 2004 and lost in the finals to Greece!

Seriously, the statistics do not back up their reputation, and I think today's game confirmed that.

Of course, I am a Portugal-hater (past altercations with the Dutch team may have skewered my objectivity) and I view them as a bunch of thugs who compensate for lack of skill by slugging it out.

It takes something extraordinary to have a Dutch person rooting for Germany, but here it is!

Germany looked good today, and so did Argentina yesterday, although not as good as Germany.

I thought Argentina looked lackluster. Sure they won, but not on merit.

Thought they outplayed a decent to good Bosnian team. I don't think they were fantastic or at the top of their potential, but, frankly most teams have not shown great command of any game so far save for the Dutch and Germans (that I've seen).

Argentina has been a bit of a disappointment in recent years, but being a Messi fan, I hope he and the Argentinians pick it up for the rest of the tournament.

aL

It takes something extraordinary to have a Dutch person rooting for Germany, but here it is!

Here's another one :D. And most of my friends are big Germany fans as well. Since I'm half Dutch, half German I'd really love to see either one (or both) in the finals. And if so, I hope the Dutch win. They really deserve it.

Thought they outplayed a decent to good Bosnian team. I don't think they were fantastic or at the top of their potential, but, frankly most teams have not shown great command of any game so far save for the Dutch and Germans (that I've seen).

Argentina has been a bit of a disappointment in recent years, but being a Messi fan, I hope he and the Argentinians pick it up for the rest of the tournament.

aL

I think argentina was all about Messi and nothing else. You can not win a tournament with just one guy.... We'll see how the team develops.

Rudy

aL

I think argentina was all about Messi and nothing else. You can not win a tournament with just one guy.... We'll see how the team develops.

True, but having the likes of Angel Di Maria, Esquiel Lavezzi, Sergio Aguero, and Gonzalo Higuain in the attack cannot hurt, and makes me think they need some game time under their belt to gel together. They obviously are a very talented team, (especially up front, the defense may be a bit more suspect) and Messi is such a monster, I'm sure it is difficult for any team to not just kick the ball to him and watch him create his magic. But, you're right, they need to use all of their pieces to their maximum potential -- they won't advance far with a one dimensional attack.

All I can say is that this has been one of the better world cups in recent memory.

aL

Good win for the US -- it showed character. Tough to lose Altidore though, I hope he recovers in time for at least the last game of the group stage.

That said, the US will need to show a lot more discipline than it did today if it hopes to get any result from Portugal or Germany. I would be shocked if Germany did not run rough shod over us, but, stranger things have happened. Portugal may be a wounded beast when we meet them next, but if we play a disciplined game, we have a chance to get a point from Portugal.

In any event, glad we got the Ghana win. That will help lift everyone's sense of belief!!

aL

USA finally beat Ghana!!!!

Jergen Klinsmann did what Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena could not do, and that is to instill enough confidence in Team USA that they could beat Ghana. In years past, if Ghana equalized at the 82nd minute, the US side would have let down. Not this team. Losing Altidore is going to hurt the team greatly; however, today is a big day for US soccer. :thu::rawk:

:nopity:

With a little luck, tomorrow Brazil is going to lose the game! All Brazilians (including me) is pretty angry with FIFA and our government, and the mess the World Cup brought to us by them (FIFA and brazilian government). Hoping to end this nightmare as fast as possible. I can't even understand why people is enjoying football.

Archived