Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

zephonic

Hey, if we can have an NBA and NFL thread, surely we can have a WorldCup thread?

Lucky win by Brazil today, not sure I saw a team capable of winning the championship. Croatia looked a more cohesive unit for the little I saw of the game (last 20 minutes or so).

Rooting for my team tomorrow, Go Holland!

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - a proper football thread.

Watched the whole match with my father - that result didn't reflect the play. Brazil don't look like an easy bet to take the cup - Croatia (population what, five million?) gave them a proper game.

I'd love to see the Dutch do well. I'm just old enough to remember Johann Cruff in 1974 (I was 8). My dad's a massive Arsenal fan (van Persie) and my son, my brother in law and a nephew support Man U (again van Persie). Here's hoping he really is fit.

I'm gigging Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I'll see results but not live matches. I'll check back in here though to see how many of us are on here posting about the beautiful game.

Other than Holland - are you looking at the same as me as likely winners - Brazil, Spain, Argentina - maybe Germany after watching Brazil tonight?

Btw, our local team Saint Johnstone (I'm living here in Perth for 12 years) just won the Scottish Cup. Big deal for us - small town, they've never done it before.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

terrible call on the PK.

Yep, very soft penalty.

Really glad the World Cup has finally started!

I'll be cheering on England and Japan, even if many of the games kick-off in the early hours of the morning.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Hey, if we can have an NBA and NFL thread, surely we can have a WorldCup thread?

Of course! But why is it unofficial? :idk:

dB

:D fixed!

Upon watching the recap, I agree that the penalty was a bad call. I am also not sure why Croatia's equalizer did not count? It looked like a bonafide goal to me, but the recap did not show again.

Wow, lots of soccer fans here, great !!

That was no penalty, never ever.....the croatian team played surprisingly well.

Can't wait to watch "our" first match against Ronaldo, sorry Portugal !

;-))

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Soft penalty, but the defender should know better than to grab and clutch, giving the opposition an excuse to dive....

I'd like to see Spain and the Dutch do well...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Too bad a world cup starts with a fake penalty. Brazil does not look loke a team that could win it, unless the FIFA mafia uses all the puppet/referees. My prediction: apart from the "usual suspects" (Argentina, Italy, Germany and maybe Brazil and Spain) i think France has a strong team that culd compete with the others. I also hope my country will go as far as possible, we play tomorrow againsta Colombia
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I thought it was an OK game this morning, Brazil ran hot and cold though, but both the legitimate goals were very good. I don't know about the penalty, seemed like a dive but the Croatian defender put himself into that position. Similar thing happened to Australia vs Italy in 2006, where the italian attacking player milked a tackle. Still a sore point down here. Tomorrow morning is the big day for us. We're in a "regeneration" phase, so no one expects us to do much against Chile. Hopefully we will step up and shock a few people!
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Still sore? Forever sore losing out to better actors. Chile is a big ask for the Socceroos, but we may be on a high going into the game this morning if the Hockeyroos, having defeated the USA last night, take out the Oranje in a couple of hours and come home world champions.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-problem-with-world-cup-referees-1402354736

The worlds most popular sporting event uses a more democratic than meritocratic process for choosing referees. While the World Cups 32 teams must play their way into the tournament through a grueling two-year qualifying process, FIFA, the sports governing body, pulls referees from more than 40 countries out of a sense of fairness to all of its member associations. It is similar to how basketballs world governing body plucks officials from around the world to work the Olympic tournament.

Its a contrast from the meritocracy that determines who officiates the postseason for major U.S. sports.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Tough call on that. I ref, and I can tell he asked himself the question. He took an extra half-second to call it. He probably regrets it now, but in the heat of the moment, you have to make a call, whether it's a penalty, a yellow for the dive or a play on. Whichever you do make will have people at your throat. Unfortunately, he chose the soft penalty.

I called Germany to win this WC four years ago when I saw them in South Africa.

France will have a tough time without Ribéry. Although they replaced him with ma boi Rémy Cabella from Montpellier HSC!

Can't wait to see CR7 fail. :snax:

Tough call on that. I ref, and I can tell he asked himself the question. He took an extra half-second to call it. He probably regrets it now, but in the heat of the moment, you have to make a call, whether it's a penalty, a yellow for the dive or a play on. Whichever you do make will have people at your throat. Unfortunately, he chose the soft penalty.

I called Germany to win this WC four years ago when I saw them in South Africa.

France will have a tough time without Ribéry. Although they replaced him with ma boi Rémy Cabella from Montpellier HSC!

Can't wait to see CR7 fail. :snax:

Ribery is a great player, he will be missed by the french team for sure.

..and we will miss Marco Reus!

It seems that Löw will put Boateng against CR7 on the right side and Lahm in the defensive midfield, hope Özil will have a "comeback" !

:-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Wow, that was a good old-fashioned-hammer-and-tongs-tooth-and-claw water ballet! Well done, Mexico. I was rooting for Cameroon, but there can be no doubt that Mexico played a better game today.

Definitely not a penalty in my book. I thought Croatia gave Brazil a good run, and I concur Brazil is going to have to up its game if it hopes to go deep into the tournament or win it.

Mexico deserved to win today -- they survived two wrongly disallowed goals. Spain v. The Netherlands should be a fantastic game. I'm rooting for the Spaniards as my favorite EPL team (Chelsea) has a good 4-5 current, future or former players on the Spanish team!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

An utter dismantling of Spain by the Dutch!! Wow. I didn't see that coming. The Dutch are playing an excellent game tactically, and Spain has no defense. I don't understand starting Casillas in goal when you have DeGea on the bench!!!! Spain is going to have to do some major work to mentally get back into the tournament!!

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Did that just happen? Spain just utterly destroyed by the dutch! Incredible!
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retribution for 2010!

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

I just taught two Spanish students in their home. The 8 yr old who plays soccer was crying up such a major tantrum I almost cancelled his lesson. Luckily the power of Pentatonic music wins in the end and he calmed down.

We aren't even 5 million! 4.5M by last population count I think.

I did not watch the game against Brazil, I was on stage. I heard people swearing though.

Greetings from Croatia!

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Will the firms be out in force or have they sort of settled down?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

We aren't even 5 million! 4.5M by last population count I think.

I did not watch the game against Brazil, I was on stage. I heard people swearing though.

Greetings from Croatia!

Hold your head high. The boys "done good". The ref didn't.

Just in from tonight's gig. Hey Holland - wtf? Wow. Spain are the current world champs. Cannot believe it. Well done. At five o'clock today my young nephew texted to ask me to put a bet on at 4-1 Spain.

Great world cup so far.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived