Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

garnermike

I get the next batch. MKII will keep me happy until then.

Can't wait for the v3. Ever since I got the MKII I have been salivating.

Too bad you can't use the Pacific ports in Mexico like China does. Take the NAFTA Superhighway North and save a bundle.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Gig report:

I used my new Spacestation with an aggressive big band in a very loud room last night (Typhoon, at the Santa Monica Airport). I was playing piano, elec. piano and B3 from a Nord, with the Spacestation on the floor inches behind me, angled slightly upwards.

This band is so loud that, coming back from the break, I asked the bass player "why, exactly, am I bothering to turn off the ringer on my iPhone?"

I have, on past gigs, given out ear plugs to musician friends in the audience who weren't prepared for 18 people playing fortissimo in a hard, reflective room.

Over the course of the first half of the first set I kept turning down the overall volume and reducing the width. I had way more power than I needed, and definitely no call for a sub. Next time I'm there I'll push the cabinet farther behind me, and start with much more modest settings.

At the end of the night the bass player mentioned that he heard me playing parts he had never heard before. (Could be the power and clarity of the Spacestation, or maybe just those three margaritas I enjoyed...)

I've played this room many times with both a Bose L1 and an Acoustic Image Corus, and while all three systems have their advantages, the Spacestation seems to be the best match for my musical role within a big band.

All in all, a big win.

This band is so loud that, coming back from the break, I asked the bass player "why, exactly, am I bothering to turn off the ringer on my iPhone?"
:laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Does "aggressive big band" (assuming no PA equipment to mic horns) equate to say a 7-piece cover band that is fully mic'd? I'm skeptical about the sound output from this amp but quite intrigued also. Can't wait to hear more gig reports from other guinea pigs members about this new amp!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Does "aggressive big band" (assuming no PA equipment to mic horns) equate to say a 7-piece cover band that is fully mic'd?

I would say we were at least very nearly as loud as a fully mic'd cover band. There were solo mics within the horns, and the sound engineer, Tomo Sato, plugged a DI into the Spacestation's sub out. Perhaps he'll weigh in - he was astonished to see me walk in with this brand new piece of gear that he had only just been reading about here.

Does "aggressive big band" (assuming no PA equipment to mic horns) equate to say a 7-piece cover band that is fully mic'd? I'm skeptical about the sound output from this amp but quite intrigued also. Can't wait to hear more gig reports from other guinea pigs members about this new amp!

We don't know your point of reference (is this a headbanging heavy metal club or an outdoor festival or what) so it's hard to say for sure but I'm doing my first big band gig with the SS in 10 days. I'll tell you that a full big band is effing loud later in the night when everything is cranking. Yes, a big band can play softly for a dinner set but later on? It's balls to the wall. People have measured the DB levels of a trumpet section from 6 feet and it's as loud as a stack of Marshalls. I'm not joking here, trumpets can and will blow your ears out if you're not careful that's why they're usually stacked up and behind everybody else. I'm always sitting with the drums, bass and guitar to one side and the horns on the other and the drums are always kicking my ass. He's banging as loud as any classic rock gig I've done. Is it rock concert loud, no but it's still pretty loud. This band always uses both male and female singers and they get loud too.

I've already done a bunch of loud bar gigs so I'm not worried at all about the SS being strong enough for this gig.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Just a guess, I know but--if I order it tomorrow from Sweetwater, when am I likely to receive it? I've read this entire thread, believe me, but I know things are changing with strikes being ended, ships floating straighter and so on.

Many thanks!

Doug

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I was on this site earlier today and three people wrote their SS were shipping and I was like "what the f," since I haven't heard anything from SW. So, I then proceeded to write an email to my SW rep, cause as some of you might remember my earlier post I was told I was 1st on the list and have been waiting the longest. I placed order 9/30/14.

Anyway, my phone rang as I was writing email and it was Nathan from SW. I just happen to be home cause of NE blizzard. He gave me the good news that my SS is shipping today.

I just want to everyone here that SW and Nathan did me good. I don't want to gloat but this whole mess worked out great for me. Also, DanL, who got the B-stock one earlier has played and reported on many more gigs then I would of, which is useful for the many people deciding on one.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Barring the unforeseen I should have mine later this week, and will report back after trying it out Saturday night in a ~150-person outdoor venue, on a duo gig with a blues guitarist who's known to be considerably louder than necessary. I have high hopes.

looking forward to that review. :thu:

:nopity:

Just a guess, I know but--if I order it tomorrow from Sweetwater, when am I likely to receive it? I've read this entire thread, believe me, but I know things are changing with strikes being ended, ships floating straighter and so on.

Many thanks!

Doug

The deliveries people are talking about now are from the current sold out shipment. Aspen said the next shipment is on the water but the dock strike in Long Beach has actually gotten worse but that doesn't mean anything in many cases. Strikes can get settled on a moments notice. Or not.

My completely unofficial guess is if everything went smoothly you might get your unit in 3 weeks if you ordered it now. Here's the timing based on Aspen's posts, 10-11 days on the water and I believe the ship has already been in route for a few days now. Say two days to clear customs and shipped to Aspen who is only 25-30 miles from the port. 2 days for him to do his QC check then 2-3 days to get to Indiana. So best case we're talking two weeks from now to SW then another few days to get to you. But if the ship just left China yesterday, or the strike continues, or there's bad weather or, or...

And this is assuming this shipment isn't also sold out so I would call SW right now. Seriously, have you read a bad review yet?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

My completely unofficial guess is if everything went smoothly you might get your unit in 3 weeks if you ordered it now.

FWIW, I think I placed my order in the first week of January. Today, my Sweetwater rep (actually his assistant) told me that the unit should be shipped at the end of February.

Had rehearsal last night for a gig this weekend. There's usually a beer or two afterwards, so, I rolled in after midnight. Cell phone went off at 8am and woke me up. First thought was...it's a wrong number. Second thought was, hey, maybe that's SW telling me the SS has shipped. Sure enough....it's on the way. Given Aspen's input on his tracking info, I sort of expected it.

Question now is if I'll get it in time to take it to Sat. gig. Sounds like it'll be fine with the Vent, but not so sure about the PC3. Running mono patches for the most part, and way too many to try to convert them all quickly. Anyone using the SS with a PC3? What have you done to stereo-ize?

"May you stay...forever young."

My back thanks you for the weight,

my ears thank you for the sound,

my brain thanks you for the aural and sensory experience, without the use of any stimulant.

Wow, thanks for thosse kind words of support, much appreciated!

Your back, ears and brain are most welcome...and BTW, the pleasure was all mine.

I hope I didn't sound too much like a "victim" of these crazy circumstance. In fact I was, and am, doing exactly what I wanted to do and frankly I am having a blast.

I read a book when I was enduring my year long Chemo treatment and planning my future after selling off my beloved GT to Fender. That book was called "Halftime". My take away thought was that this author had spent the first half of his life achieving "success", building wealth and getting awards. And yet he felt empty inside, unfulfilled.. So he went onto the "locker room" at the "half time" of his life and changed the game plan; the second half would be pursuing "significance".

That was me after selling GT to Fender, and getting my new lease on life (my 2nd half). I realized that the most significant invention/product I had ever developed was CPS, but it had never been given my full attention....I was dancing at too many weddings.

So now CPS has my full attention, and now I feel like I am really making a significant difference in the way we make and enjoy live music.

Maybe I won't get rich overnight, but who cares...I am doing something I consider "significant"....and I am making folks happy!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Aspen, you've got a winner. It's been a pleasure to use your product, and recommend it to others. I've also enjoyed the dialog.

To all of you who are about to get yours, I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Aspen, I'm sure that there are many of us here who are extremely curious to know what you'll come up with next ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Alright, I couldn't hold out any longer, and just placed my order too. My SW rep yesterday told me that I should still be able to get in on the next batch, hopefully due in the last week of Feb. I have a fun gig coming up first weekend in March at a smallish venue (75-100) with a rather cramped stage. Last time there I used my pair of Mackie SRM450v2 monitors, with one pointed up at me, and the other pointed straight out to the house since they only run vocals through the house P.A. there... and I was the only one that the owner (and default soundman) told to actually turn myself UP a bit.

(Damn, just when I was starting to think I was done acquiring new gear for a while, then THIS comes along!! It just sounds like one of those "gotta have it" things.)

Aspen, you convinced me. (Actually, it was everyone else on here who tried it and reported back on it that convinced me!).

As far as me doing the one for Keyboard though...it's difficult for the mag to print a review done by someone involved in a professional relationship with the manufacturer - too many questions that can easily be avoided by having it done by a neutral party.

Difficult....but not impossible.

About few weeks ago, Dr. Fortner asked me to write the review anyway. He knows my enthusiasm for the SS existed long before I started helping Aspen, and told me he trusted me to do the job and deliver a fair and honest review. Frankly, I agreed with him - I had a bunch of the review written well before Aspen asked me to help him out. I was just waiting to use the amp on a gig to finish it...and, as most of you know, that got delayed because my band's singer messed his back up.

Long story short - I finished writing it yesterday, and it'll be in the April edition of the mag. :thu:

FWIW - even Aspen didn't know I was writing the review until I told him at NAMM a few days ago.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

My back thanks you for the weight,

my ears thank you for the sound,

my brain thanks you for the aural and sensory experience, without the use of any stimulant.

Wow, thanks for thosse kind words of support, much appreciated!

Your back, ears and brain are most welcome...and BTW, the pleasure was all mine.

I hope I didn't sound too much like a "victim" of these crazy circumstance. In fact I was, and am, doing exactly what I wanted to do and frankly I am having a blast.

I read a book when I was enduring my year long Chemo treatment and planning my future after selling off my beloved GT to Fender. That book was called "Halftime". My take away thought was that this author had spent the first half of his life achieving "success", building wealth and getting awards. And yet he felt empty inside, unfulfilled.. So he went onto the "locker room" at the "half time" of his life and changed the game plan; the second half would be pursuing "significance".

That was me after selling GT to Fender, and getting my new lease on life (my 2nd half). I realized that the most significant invention/product I had ever developed was CPS, but it had never been given my full attention....I was dancing at too many weddings.

So now CPS has my full attention, and now I feel like I am really making a significant difference in the way we make and enjoy live music.

Maybe I won't get rich overnight, but who cares...I am doing something I consider "significant"....and I am making folks happy!

Anything is better than working in a rut 9 to 5 job for a boss all your life. (a rut is a coffin with the ends kicked out of it).

Brett

Sounds like it'll be fine with the Vent, but not so sure about the PC3. Running mono patches for the most part, and way too many to try to convert them all quickly. Anyone using the SS with a PC3? What have you done to stereo-ize?

I also have a PC3 76 and used it two times, once for a rehearsal and once on the gig. Normally I use my SK1 but these were strictly piano gigs. The PC3 sounded great. For piano I used the Standard Grand and I did use a couple of EP's. I think those patches are stereo but not sure. Whatever I just ran both LR outs to the LR in's on the SS and it sounded very good. I think even if you're using a mono patch that if both inputs are being used on the SS it will still use the side speakers and throw the sound. The reason I say this is I use the BURN with my SK1 and according to the docs with that unit you can only use the L input to get the Leslie effect. It outputs on both L & R but the manual says it's not stereo but the SS takes that and runs with it anyway.

That's not a definitive answer I know but I've run many different patches at home from the SK1, the Kurz and my Roland FA. I've never checked to see if they were all stereo or not but the SS sounded great on all of them. Maybe I've never tried a mono patch, don't know.

Bob