Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My red PX-5S in Concert

EscapeRocks

I love that I get to play music for people. Here's a couple pics of my rig at show we did tonight in Dallas.

Ready for sound check. Yamaha MOX6, Casio PX-5S, and Akai Sample player. Heavy duty fan (it was 90 and humid at load in)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/10390296_10152060850501689_2123832402060726481_n_zps77bc24a2.jpg

My view of part of the sold out crowd. This never gets old!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/arborcrowd_zps38affe62.jpg

I sometimes forget how lucky I am that I had parents who found a wonderful piano teacher for me when I was 6, and I asked to learn to play. Who would have thought that 45 years later I'd get to play the music I love, with a great bunch of guys, to all these people who keep showing up and who actually pay to see me? ;)

Sometime before this long, upcoming weekend is over I am finally going to sit down and write my review of my new PX-5S and how it handles my gigs. I've used it twice now, and am so very satisfied that I got it.

Later!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very cool David!

OT: Is that an Ultimate "rocket launcher" stand? I was heartbroken when I went to buy one of those, and found it had been discontinued a couple of years previously.

IMHO, the best looking stand EVER. I'm sure i saw a couple in different bright colours at some gigs back in the day. Don't know if they came like that, or if someone had painted them.

Maybe it was just a result of inhaling dubious substances in my misspent youth!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Looks great! I see you have your #1 fan there with you too! :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Looks like a fun night! (And the custom-painted red piano looks awesome under the lights too.) Any pictures of it with the new decals yet?

Thanks Adam. Not yet and the new PX-5S decals... I guess I'll walk down to the mailbox now (joke for Mike Martin).

Looks very cool David!

OT: Is that an Ultimate "rocket launcher" stand? I was heartbroken when I went to buy one of those, and found it had been discontinued a couple of years previously.

IMHO, the best looking stand EVER. I'm sure i saw a couple in different bright colours at some gigs back in the day. Don't know if they came like that, or if someone had painted them.

SSM

SSM,

Yep, that's my AX90 stand. it's my favorite stand in my stable of stands. (an original Apex, and a new AX48pro, along with my custom built rotating stand).

Ultimate did release it in other colors as well: red, an orange-ish color, blue, white, and silver.

It is a beast at 35lbs, but it's carry bag with handle makes it easy to carry.

I like the way it looks on stage.

David

pic from the audience side before sound check.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/audview_zpsa4be1340.jpg

BTW: the best investment in gig gear I've made recently is that 3foot x 3 foot rubber bar mat, designed to keep your back and feet from fatigue while standing for long periods.

It's perfect for these shows where we setup on concrete.

David

David, WOW, looks great!!

If you don't mind, I have a question for you... the mat/pad that's on the floor.. can you tell me a bit about it.. it looks like you stand to play (didn't see a stool and the keys look pretty high).. assuming that's the case, does that mat/pad make it easier for you to stand on, or is it just about keeping the stand in place and everything together..? I'm asking because I'm a sit down player, partly because I grew up that way but also because I have really bad knees.. If this pad has some cushioning effect that might allow me to stand up a bit more, I might invest in one. Thanks.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

SSM

Ultimate did release it in other colors as well: red, an orange-ish color, blue, white, and silver.

Ah, so it wasn't the dubious substances then!

cheers,

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

David, WOW, looks great!!

If you don't mind, I have a question for you... the mat/pad that's on the floor.. can you tell me a bit about it.. it looks like you stand to play (didn't see a stool and the keys look pretty high).. assuming that's the case, does that mat/pad make it easier for you to stand on, or is it just about keeping the stand in place and everything together..? I'm asking because I'm a sit down player, partly because I grew up that way but also because I have really bad knees.. If this pad has some cushioning effect that might allow me to stand up a bit more, I might invest in one. Thanks.

Thanks Craig! The mat is designed for people who stand for long periods of time at jobs, such as chefs, bartenders, warehouse workers, etc.. Even my bass player's nurse wife says many surgeons use something similar. it really does reduce back fatigue. it is cushioned.

On typical all-night bar gigs, I usually sit. for festival shows like this where we're doing a true "concert" type show of 90 minutes or so, I stand.

Since getting this, my back no longer hurts, and i can jump around like I do when standing to play.

I bought mine at Home Depot a few months ago. I've seen them at Lowe's as well.

One side benefit: I don't have to tape down my sustain pedal to keep it from moving all over the place ;)

David

Great idea, David ! I'm going to pick up one of those mats before next week's gig; The local Lowe's knows me well these days :crazy:

Dig the PX-5S paint job ! Tempting idea. Thinking of trying it with a keytar. :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

But ... it's RED! :o

BTW: the best investment in gig gear I've made recently is that 3foot x 3 foot rubber bar mat, designed to keep your back and feet from fatigue while standing for long periods.
Brilliant! I use a 8x8 gig rug, but that might work better, and the gig rug got pressed into service in the house. :(

However, I use a stool; not sure it would work out. And no matter what I put my pedals on, they drift, which is why I tie them in place. Wild feet, I guess.

Dave, thanks for the info.. I'll check that mat out at Home Depot.. It's amazing to see how different people solve different problems..!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Yeah I gotta agree with everyone David your PX-5s came out great! I also gotta admit - I wasn't all that sold on the colors you chose for your 350. I know they meant a lot to you personally, but in comparison your red and black PX-5s looks hot! :cool:

I'd do it to mine if it wasn't so much work. And I'm glad you detailed that in another thread so I won't try it ;)

Dave, thanks for the info.. I'll check that mat out at Home Depot.. It's amazing to see how different people solve different problems..!

Just remember Craig, I don't think you can moonwalk on them.

:D

Here for the gear.

Yeah I gotta agree with everyone David your PX-5s came out great! I also gotta admit - I wasn't all that sold on the colors you chose for your 350. I know they meant a lot to you personally, but in comparison your red and black PX-5s looks hot! :cool:

I'd do it to mine if it wasn't so much work. And I'm glad you detailed that in another thread so I won't try it ;)

Bill, thanks!

I actually agree with you. The 350 was my first large custom project. I think I may just put a Transformers emblem on the back of it just for giggles.

Out of all of them, to this point, my red pX-5S then my hammered copper Vortex are by far my favorite and best looking (to me) projects.

David

Great looking rig! I didn't make the connection to Cain's red piano until you mentioned it, but yes very appropriate!

On the mat for those interested, I have several of them on my deck. They interlock to cover the entire deck. We got them from Home Depot and I don't recall the price, it wasn't a lot.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Where do you get a fan like that?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Where do you get a fan like that?

I've been using one like this for a few years. You can search online for it or a similar model. They're available at big box hardware stores, though I got mine at a smaller hardware store for about the same price.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived