Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha motif xs7or kurzweip pc3

Rikismyname

I have a yamaha motif es.

I missed out on a kurzweil pc3le7 yesterday :(.

I now have an option to buy a yamaha motif xs7 to upgrade from my es6.

The reason I want to change keyboards is I want better strings. I'm not sure how better the strings are on the xs compared to the es, but I want strings to play live with 60's stuff. So no synthy sounding (roland) strings but natural Orchestra sounds.

Having not heard an xs7 I'm not sure if I should upgrade and also get the extra octave of keys which will help with splits.

Or should I be patient and wait for a reasonable price pc3x to come up?

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks everybody for helping before regarding the kurzweil pc3le7,keepong an eye out for one still if the price is right

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

I'm not sure how better the strings are on the xs compared to the es

I don't know either... there are many new and improved sounds on the XS vs. the ES, but I don't know off-hand if the strings are among them. But this video might help...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The most notable improvement between the ES vs. XS is the piano, IMO. The strings seem fairly consistent throughout the various Motif incarnations.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

From the Keyboard mag review of the XS:

"Among the most audible improvements are the brass, strings, and woodwinds, which contain more wave data and sound richer. Yamaha also reworked the entire ES wave set with longer sample loops. I especially noticed this on the XS main three-layer piano voice, which decays more smoothly and realistically than its ES counterpart."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the help and advice.

I badly want a kurzweil but nothing available, and the xs can be had at a good price near me, just unsure if I'd regret it

I'm sure I can sell my trusty es6 for £500 including hardcase, and can get the six for £750 with loads of extras and samples from motifator.

Just unsure if it's really worth it though as it might sound too similar (for strings) and regret not hanging around for a kurzweil pc3..

I don't need arps, sequencing, or anything hip hop sounding.

Just great piano in a band mix not solo

Great strings that can both cut through and also some that are soft and lush, and the kurzweil sounds like it might be better for that.

Just wish I could try one for the keybed though as I want a 76 key but read that the fatar tp-8 in them are springy and not nice to play or an 88 fully weighted one that is apparently nicer?

Confuzzled,

I suppose if you've had experience with the yamaha strings over the motif range and you say they sound pretty simple similar then all I'm going I get is some extra keys and a bigger screen for £250.

I've owned an XS6 and a PC361, the Kurz strings were much more realistic IMO

Thanks for that.

So annoying not knowing if a kurzweil will show up on eBay or Gumtree.

I missed out on another deal as I tried to get it cheaper, now I have an opportunity to get the motif xs (with tour case, extra motifator software) for a good price then sell my es.

Or make do with what I have and put up with it until a kurzweil comes available.

I do like that the kurzweil can sit and layer 16 parts compared to yamaha lame 4.

Also I like black, black is much cooler than silver imo.

Anybody know anybody with a kurzweil that might sell it?

Did you ever think the strings sounded a bit synthy in the yamaha, or a bit annoying and not very clear or lush sounding?

I don't know if it's just me, but all I've ever really known is the motif strings and I've never been a massive fan of them for some reason.

Tried Roland and hated them more, korgs are great but not very good natural string section sound.

Have you listened to the Kurzweil strings?

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3le7/audio/#Orchestral

Also, if it were me I'd look at the PC3K series rather than the PC3LE series. The additional features are worth the additional money IMHO.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I do like that the kurzweil can sit and layer 16 parts compared to yamaha lame 4.

If the XS is like the MOX, you can split/layer 16 sounds if you use Song/Pattern Mix mode instead of Performance mode.

Have you listened to the Kurzweil strings?

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3le7/audio/#Orchestral

Also, if it were me I'd look at the PC3K series rather than the PC3LE series. The additional features are worth the additional money IMHO.

Hi, yes I've had a listen but it's mostly classical stuff, would be nice to hear what the presets are like live with 60s stuff, or disco, or anything with a band.

There was a song at the top I listened to and the strings sounded brilliant.

This is convincing me to wait and get a kurz

If the XS is like the MOX, you can split/layer 16 sounds if you use Song/Pattern Mix mode instead of Performance mode.

How can I split 16 different patches(voices) across the keys to play live with a band?

I don't want 16 different sounds to record a song with or sequence or anything.. Just sometimes want say pizzacato on the first 12 keys, then maybe 2 keys with a drum, then a piano but layered with strings, then brass etc. Etc.

How can I split 16 different patches(voices) across the keys to play live with a band?

I don't want 16 different sounds to record a song with or sequence or anything.. Just sometimes want say pizzacato on the first 12 keys, then maybe 2 keys with a drum, then a piano but layered with strings, then brass etc. Etc.

On the MOX, you would assign each of those sounds to one channel of the Mix, and set a key range for each one so that it triggers over the keys you want. If you assign all the channels of the mix to the same MIDI channel, then they can all be available on the keyboard simultaneously.

If you buy an XS to get strings that are better than the ES you will realize you made a huge mistake after playing one note.

I own an ES and play an XS regularly. They are very similar. There's not one Motif string sound I like better than the ones on the Kurz. There's 50 string sounds on the Kurz I'll take over the Motif any day of the week. I'm not exaggerating.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

The ROM Kurzweil PC3 LE6 strings sound really great in the video. That said, one more option if you can't find/afford a PC3 is to consider adding some RAM to your Motif ES (512MB@$65) and then getting the DCP String Library. I'm looking at the 50MB library for my Motif ES ($69). The DCP string sounds have lots of character/bite and include a variety of string instruments + performance styles such as Legato, Maracto, Spicato, and Arco. The Sweet String Pad demo raised the hair on the back of my neck. :thu:

DCP Strings Library for Motif ES demo on Motifator.com store at: http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-es-voice-libraries/orchestral-strings.html

DCP also has an expanded strings library for Motif XS: http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-xs-voice-libraries/orchestral-strings-voice-bank-for-yamaha-motif-xs.html

and some Kurz strings...

Great sounds! , the 5 "dislikes" would be from the other keyboard brand CEO's :).

The Bee Gees sold me my Kurz. >

Thanks for that. Do you know of any other bands that use a kurzweil pc live like this to watch?

Brett

The ROM Kurzweil PC3 LE6 strings sound really great in the video. That said, one more option if you can't find/afford a PC3 is to consider adding some RAM to your Motif ES (512MB@$65) and then getting the DCP String Library. I'm looking at the 50MB library for my Motif ES ($69). The DCP string sounds have lots of character/bite and include a variety of string instruments + performance styles such as Legato, Maracto, Spicato, and Arco. The Sweet String Pad demo raised the hair on the back of my neck. :thu:

DCP Strings Library for Motif ES demo on Motifator.com store at: http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-es-voice-libraries/orchestral-strings.html

DCP also has an expanded strings library for Motif XS: http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-xs-voice-libraries/orchestral-strings-voice-bank-for-yamaha-motif-xs.html

I did look at those on motifator and was going to buy the cheaper one to try. I have 512mb in my es. But never figured out how to save samples on there that don't need manually loading individuals every single time I turn it on.

I have sound piano samples on a USB, they're called.players. W7 files a think from yamaha, and I have to select a pain then overwrite an existing sound on my motif es.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

How would I buy these, load them onto my keyboard so they are available and saved in my performances?

If you buy an XS to get strings that are better than the ES you will realize you made a huge mistake after playing one note.

I own an ES and play an XS regularly. They are very similar. There's not one Motif string sound I like better than the ones on the Kurz. There's 50 string sounds on the Kurz I'll take over the Motif any day of the week. I'm not exaggerating.

I really do need to find details a kurzweil within my budget then quickly, or I may have to figure out how to load these motifator samples in to try.

I have 512mb in my es. But never figured out how to save samples on there that don't need manually loading individuals every single time I turn it on.

You should be able to set them to auto-load. It won't be any faster, but at least it would happen automatically. The ability to load new samples into the board and not have to re-load them at every startup was introduced later, in the Motif XF (and it's also in the MOXF).

I really do need to find details a kurzweil within my budget then quickly, or I may have to figure out how to load these motifator samples in to try.

If you like the Kurz but can't afford the LE, have you considered the SP5-8? It has most of the sounds of the PC3LE and is pretty well priced. Of course you do lose things... like aftertouch, editability, pads, sequencer... the LE is definitely more capable, but maybe this would still fill the bill.

I did look at those on motifator and was going to buy the cheaper one to try. I have 512mb in my es. But never figured out how to save samples on there that don't need manually loading individuals every single time I turn it on.

I have sound piano samples on a USB, they're called.players. W7 files a think from yamaha, and I have to select a pain then overwrite an existing sound on my motif es.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

How would I buy these, load them onto my keyboard so they are available and saved in my performances?

I think Bad Mister covered this topic for you already at Motifator.com. He detailed all the needed steps to set-up auto-loading of sample data from USB/Smart Media Card and voices (program data)into the Motif ES DIMM memory and user voice bank locations. http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470854/

Did you double check and follow all of Bad Mister's detailed steps in his reply of January 09, 2014 @ 09:04 AM???? It's all there... ;)

Did you ever think the strings sounded a bit synthy in the yamaha, or a bit annoying and not very clear or lush sounding?

I don't know if it's just me, but all I've ever really known is the motif strings and I've never been a massive fan of them for some reason.

Tried Roland and hated them more, korgs are great but not very good natural string section sound.

That was exactly my opinion, very synthy and no richness to the sound, they sounded obviously fake.

Kurz strings were more authentic, I think the only synth to better them is the Kronos but then you are getting very expensive.

Archived