Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Awesome SNL DJ Spoof

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favorite part was when he was playing Jenga in the middle of the song.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I thought this was great - as soon as it started, I thought about this forum and discussions we had about DJs. I remembered someone's signature being "pressing 'play' does not constitute being a musician", or something to that effect. How about pressing "bass" ?

Nevertheless, very funny as was the (recurring) skit with the terrible rapper.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Oh I love this! Truth be told, I am actually super curious how the whole DJ thing works. I would love to get a rundown of what the software is doing, what the DJ is doing with the control surface etc. My interest is mostly just intellectual curiosity and I wish I understood the nuts-and-bolts of what's going on. I pretty much only listen to EDM at Burning Man - and my mental association pretty much is EDM = Burning Man and vice versa.

That said, I did catch Break Science at Maison in New Orleans during Jazz Fest. To me it sounds unlike other EDM mainly because it's two live musicians, and the drummer is freaking awesome: Adam Deitch (Lettuce, Scofield).

It's pretty funny and pretty brutal. It pokes fun at a lot of things: The producer posing as a DJ for festivals (Avicii), triggering a sampled gunshot (the two most clichéd DJ one-shot triggers are gunshots and airhorns), the incessant builds and drops (with increasingly longer builds) that have infected every aspect of EDM, and then at the end a spoof of "Turn Down For What" complete with a cameo of Lil Jon.

As a club DJ I can't get away with builds anywhere near as long as the festival guys do. 4-8 bars and that's usually all the floor will tolerate. But they've got to be there.

They're even in classic tracks. I've got a B&D version of Billie Jean that packs the floor with the right crowd.

Scott, just so you know, this isn't helping my perception of the "DJ"... :)

In my mind there are 3 types of DJs:

1) Just play the music from mp3s or whatever.. not really looking to put on show.. just keeps the party going. Typical event DJ.

2) Makes music live by mixing beats, bass lines, samples, stabs, etc. May use keyboards, control surfaces, virtual turntables, etc to produce their music.

3) Presses "play" and then acts silly making it look like they are doing something (see video). May alternate between a few tracks for builds and breakdowns.

JMHO/YMMV/BYOB :)

Oh I love this! Truth be told, I am actually super curious how the whole DJ thing works. I would love to get a rundown of what the software is doing, what the DJ is doing with the control surface etc. My interest is mostly just intellectual curiosity and I wish I understood the nuts-and-bolts of what's going on. I pretty much only listen to EDM at Burning Man - and my mental association pretty much is EDM = Burning Man and vice versa.

Me too. I went to a concert a while a go of a Danish musician called Trentemoller. He is also playing electronic music but with a complete band. Great show BTW!

As a support there was a guy with some knobs, software and what not. Although the music wasn't even that bad, I totally could not connect with the performance, mostly probably because I didn't understand what he was doing (what is sampled, what is live...). Did not do much for me.

Rudy

My feeling is, the reality itself is a spoof of musical performance. Hard to spoof a spoof.

The DJ movement makes me want to Rip Van Winkle and wake up when it's over.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My feeling is, the reality itself is a spoof of musical performance. Hard to spoof a spoof.

The DJ movement makes me want to Rip Van Winkle and wake up when it's over.

I have no problem with DJs who do a genuine live performance. I have seen some very cool stuff done with live looping and real-time production. There is definitively a place for EDM in the music biosphere. It's the ones that are doing the "Monkees" thing and the silliness that I have an issue with.

My "WTH?" moment:

I was at a club and in the middle of the "performance", the DJ came out from behind the table, sat on the edge of the stage and smoked a cigarette and took swigs from a liquor bottle for about 5 minutes. The crows went nuts like the Beatles just landed on the tarmac. :o

Oh I love this! Truth be told, I am actually super curious how the whole DJ thing works. I would love to get a rundown of what the software is doing, what the DJ is doing with the control surface etc.

I agree with Scott said about different types of DJs. I recently attended an Octatrack workshop in Milwaukee, taught by a guy who goes by the handle "Allerian" on a couple of forums. I'd known him as an experimental/noise kind of artist, but it turns out he's been teaching hip hop production classes for underprivileged kids for several years, and has recently begun competing in Miltown Beatdown. He said the majority of contestants use laptops running Ableton Live. His contest rig is just an Octatrack, so he stands out visually just by working the fader, knobs, etc. to manipulate beat-oriented audio in various ways, instead of his hand being hidden behind a laptop. The production class he teaches includes NI Maschine (another popular choice among the DJ/EDM set) and Live on several computer workstations.

Archived