Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Hernia surgery.

Dave Ferris

Thanks Peter, Tim,Michael, Alex, James & SSM from the CP4 thread...appreciated.

from a post on FB:

Well, it was a super long day. The surgery was originally scheduled for 10 am yesterday morning. Then they moved it till noon, then 2. At about 2:30 they came in to say - another hour. This went on for the rest of the afternoon.

They finally came and got me around 5;30 . Next thing I know I'm waking up and they're wheeling me into a recovery room. As usual I was super nauseous from the anesthesia. Was stumbling around from the pain in my stomach. So they kept me overnight. Diane hung out all the time but finally went home about 1:30 AM.

He did 3 hernias !! The one I injured in picking up my 14 yr. old Golden Retriever, who had the stroke. And two other previous existing ones....in my belly button and a partial one on the left side.

Went home at 9AM this morning and basically just ate, drank fluids, slept, and repeat. Seems like I can only go down for an hour each time.Tried practicing for about 30 minutes but couldn't concentrate. Also I was having problems executing on the piano..I think it's just the drugs lingering. .

So just laying around and futzing on the computer...can't do too much. Just really sore in my stomach area.

He said don't lift anything over 10 lbs. for at least week, maybe 2. So it might be awhile before I'm schlepping the CP4 around and doing gigs. I already cancelled a gig tonight and two next week.

Also will probably be a few weeks till I'm back running. Hopefull I'll be able to do some easy bike by next Sat.

But not going to push it. I do think the first few days will be the hardest. It's hard just get up off the couch with the stomach pain right now.

Will get back as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks again for the concern everyone..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get well soon, Dave. Fortunately this short term hassle from the surgery will result in a longer-term benefit for you. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Damn Dave I had no idea. I hope you get your edge back with the piano. Hey a bit of downtime isn't going to hurt anything. Maybe you'll be able to relax a little. Sorry man, what a drag.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I had a double hernia when I was 10 yrs old.

Back then the technique was more primitive. I was off school for 3 weeks.

Exercise ? Physical activity ? Pfffffttttt. Nothing like that for 30-60 days.

And no pain killers back then. Ibuprofen .

Hang in there, play the heck out of the piano. There are some great series to stream on Netflix. Rent the DVD on Monk.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Hi Dave, I had missed the other thread so I had no idea that you were going to have an operation. I wish you a very speedy recovery! Just take it easy for a while, be careful with lifting things, and your playing will be back at the usual great level in a very short time! :thu:

Dave,

Will add you to our family prayer list, for a speedy and complete recovery.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Just had some surgery myself, minor in significance, but lots of stitches. I've always been of the "grit your teeth and bear it no drugs for me thank you" school, but this time the post-surgical pain had me popping vicodine like breath mints for a couple days.

Best wishes, Dave.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hoping for a quick and thorough recovery for you, Dave !

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Having had multiple hernia repairs in my lifetime, I can relate. Don't do too much, too soon. If you have a propensity to get one in the first place, you also have a propensity to get them again.

And you can probably write off that CP5, or at least traveling with one...unless you hire a roadie.

Heal well!

Thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery, Dave. You'll be tempted to do too much, but don't.

I've been through it and it's no fun. In fact, it was the end of one of my bands. We had two members who never bothered to show up to help with load in and setup. So our guitar player and I had to do everything. We had a gig scheduled one week after my surgery and I told them they needed to be there for setup because I wouldn't be able to lift anything. Of course they didn't make it and our guitar player had to do it all. One of them showed up 15 minutes before our start time, the other arrived 5 minutes AFTER we were supposed to start. End of band.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

One was enough for me. I had an umbilical hernia repaired a few years ago. Into surgery by 7 AM and home by noon. Dr. told me that I could go to work after a couple of days. Could not take the hydrocodone the surgeon prescribed so I ended up taking over the counter pain killer. Slept in the recliner the first night thinking it would be easier to get out of in the morning. My stomach was so sore that someone had to push the back of the recliner to raise me up. Went to work three days later but my boss sent me home after seeing how miserable I was. Ended up being off for a week.

Take care of yourself and don't rush back too soon. A good high-back office chair is handy because you can push down on the arm rests with your hands as you stand up and that takes pressure off of your stomach mussels.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks again everyone for the + thoughts.

It was a LONG weekend. Not used to being a couch potato. Feeling pretty good but the stomach area is still painful. I guess they pump gas into that area to allow for room to get their tools in there.

The swelling is going down but the last two days it looked like I was pregnant. :laugh:

I did manage to get in just under 3 hours of practice, spread out through the day yesterday. I did about 45 minutes on my vocals (sitting down) and that seemed the hardest, because you use those stomach muscles for support. I'd do 10 minutes then a break and then 15 and a break. At the end of a session I'd then take a nap...:laugh: I'm sure sleeping a lot.

I just took a gig on Sat., but no schlepping as it's on Acoustic. But it's way down in Newport Beach. Hopefully I can catch a ride from someone.

Hey dje31....yes still have my eyes on the CP5 , but for home use only. Trying to decide between that and the RD-800 to sit in the music room (where I never listen to music :crazy: ) of the house.

When they took my leg I was layed up for about two months. Man I know the frustration your feelin'. The good side is when you are able to sit at the piano your musical perception is going to be fresh and your going to be exploring new territory. Praying for a fast recovery Dave. I'm glad they fixed all of them.
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Feel better, Dave! I had an inguinal hernia repaired in early December. Fairly quick procedure and he opted to do a fully invasive rather than laproscopic as it's more reliable.

No lifting anything above 35 pounds for about 6 weeks, but I was able to start swimming and walking in about a week.

I'm back to my usual heavy lifting now with no issues, but yeah, take it easy for the time being. The weirdest thing to me is the "healing ridge" which feels like there's a breakfast sausage under the skin even almost 6 months later.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Archived