Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My First Time On Organ!

Jazzwee

Thanks guys.

I was watching some of the organ players in the band before and they're incredible with their organ chops. I realize that I can't do what they do because I have an Electro 4HP (weighted and single manual no drawbars). So I can't really focus on effects so much. It will just have to be just tasteful comping and melodic solos.

Maybe I'm the only one he can get within his budget. LOL.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck jazzwee. (I haven't played the organ with a group yet.) People seem to really like the sound of organ comping because you can sustain notes. Don't be afraid to play chords for your solos, as well. Remember that people just like the sound of the instrument when played rhythmically.

If you could just get an decent synth action board. Maybe an old used DX7 ..... anything cheap but somewhat decent with a MIDI out jack I think would help.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks jjo!

I'm actually pretty comfortable with most things using the weighted. It's just some organ effects that are just too hard on the fingers (like sliding fingers). I'll smear with a palm but I won't try anything with just the fingers.

Oh well. Don't know how this is going to work out yet but it does have me gassing for some dual manual with drawbars...

If you could just get an decent synth action board. Maybe an old used DX7 ..... anything cheap but somewhat decent with a MIDI out jack I think would help.

Just for practicing, I do have a M-Audio controller. But I seem to have lost the wall wart.

In any case, like jazzmammal, we kind of make do with weighted and a single manual. Can't do everything but it's convincing enough.

BTW this guy I heard on Youtube phrases each line using the drawbars. So that kind of quick action within a phrase is not possible on buttons (Nord).

Archived