Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai VPC 1

14206562444_dd8a7d7fa7_m.jpg14204215552_6c3db323c6_m.jpg14206565234_f874f4873e_m.jpg

14020054850_70fed3cf7b_m.jpg14020024719_6c0bb972d7_m.jpg14206567134_691c896148_m.jpg

Picked this fellow up a couple weeks ago. Just a quick review for those interested.

The instrument came extremely well protected. Included is the music rest, triple pedal and usb cable. The build quality is quite high, the chassis being quite robust. The finish is beautiful and I love the simplicity of the design. Set up is quite fast and using usb midi out, there is no need for the power adapter. The VPC editor is now available for mac, and with the mac no additional drivers need to be installed. I have tweaked a couple of velocity curves for various configurations (headphones/speakers). The instrument is quite heavy at 65 lbs, so gigging with it would be difficult, but not un-doable, perhaps with a mixer-type flight case leaving the piano in the bottom of the case. A heavy duty stand is also needed. Right now I have it on a Profile z stand. My reason for the purchase was to have a responsive action for use with software pianos, to get back to some more serious study. The feel is better than anything else I have owned for piano, baring maybe my CP-70b, but maybe time has clouded my memory of that. I am using it with the TK pianos, mostly the Ravenscroft 275. For those looking for a piano only controller, I can say the VPC 1 is the best thing I have come across, and worth consideration. I really must play on some other keyboards since I have a gig this weekend and it will not be coming with me. I just haven't played anything else since it came home. I ordered from Merriam Pianos in Oakville Ontario as there was no where to try one out. Rob there was extremely helpful getting it in for me. I was a little nervous about the sight unseen purchase, but my fears were unfounded. Now I just have to set a study schedule, rather than losing myself in the keyboard and Ravenscroft, a great combination. I can forget that I am not playing an acoustic grand.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Between this and the MP11, Kawai are becoming quite the class act with higher end keyboards.

SSM

Kawai has been the benchmark in stage pianos since the MP9000. I worked for a Kawai dealer in the 80 and they kicked ass back then.

I liked the EP-308 a lot better than the CP70.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

...the (Kawai VPC 1) keyboard and Ravenscroft, a great combination. I can forget that I am not playing an acoustic grand.

:thu:

Ravenscroft sounds really, really good - now that I've resolved my latency problems.

The VPC 1 has the features to make the most of all the options within Ravenscroft.

My PC2X makes a fine controller for Ravenscroft, but the VPC 1 is the logical step up.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks all! Your very welcome James! The VPC1 just lends itself to great reviews. Probably could not do an L setup in this town Gord! You know the places I play! May try at home though. It is quite the controller Steve. I am very impressed with it. I can see developing a rapport with it that I have not had with any other electronic instrument. Any fellow forumites considering buying one are welcome to demo this fellow, if you're ever passing through the south eastern Ontario area. Just drop me a line.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Between this and the MP11, Kawai are becoming quite the class act with higher end keyboards.

SSM

Kawai has been the benchmark in stage pianos since the MP9000. I worked for a Kawai dealer in the 80 and they kicked ass back then.

I liked the EP-308 a lot better than the CP70.

Fair enough CEB. My background is guitar. I only came to keys a year ago. My perception was Yamaha/Roland/Korg/Nord/Hammond because that was what I had seen around at various gigs.

Since I started learning keys I became aware of Casio (entirely because of Mike Martin and the PX-5S) and the Crumar Mojo. I also heard of Kurzweil through this forum, but had never moved in "show" circles before, only rock gigs, so was unaware of them.

i obviously knew about Steinway/Bechstein/Bosendorfer etc., but had them tagged in my mind as "real" pianos, ie acoustic.

Kawai had always flown beneath my radar, and I'm discovering them for the first time. It's refreshing to me that there is a brand new (as far as I am concerned) company out there that makes such high quality, beautiful instruments such as the VPC1 and MP11.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

KAWAI has a background of 85 years in making pianos and grand pianos......brand new company ?

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Archived