Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SP-170DX vs. Casio Privia PX-330

3mb3r4

Hey there,

I have never had a digital piano and I would like to buy one, since I have decided to learn to play. I need it not for just learning but for creating music (through MIDI) and this is the more important part. I compose music for years, basically on my computer, using sequencers and VSTs - so this is the way I would like to keep on going, but with making it more efficient by being able to play the piano as a master keyboard. :)

These are the two options:

• I can buy a brand new Korg SP-170DX that include a stand and three pedals. It would cost 860$. Yeah, it's much more expensive than in the US, like most electronic equipment in the country I live in (Hungary).
  • I have a chance of buying a used Casio Privia PX-330 for about $745. It would include a portable stand and a sustain pedal, a case in which the instrument can be carried safely. Although it's used, it is from a trusted source (from an old musician friend who took care of it).

I went to a local shop along with another musician friend who plays the piano on a professional level. We tried two digital pianos, a Casio Celviano AP-420 and a Korg SP-170DX. Personally I liked the Korg action better, but I noticed it's kind of too light and feels more like plastic than a real piano. Although, Celviano has a harder touch, its keys are bouncing, knocking and have a jelly-like return effect when released that annoyed me. My friend recommended me the Korg. I asked the seller about the Privia PX-330 and he told me that Celviano and Privias both share the same Casio key action, however PX-330 may have a newer keybed.

Basically I need the digital piano to be my master keyboard. Synthesizer is on my computer, however it's not bad if I can record music to my piano and do some advanced improvizations without my computer (Casio PX-330 could do this for me).

Here are the aspects most important for me:

• Key action.
    Supports the development of my skills in the long term. Has a key action on which if I learn, I will be able to easily play acoustic pianos as well.
  • Durability.
    It should last as long as possible, I don't want to buy a new because a key gets broken or something.

I Googled a lot and found similar threads with questions similar to mine. I noticed that there are more success stories about the Korg than the Casio in this price range (less than $1000).

What would you recommend?

Is there anyone who tried both?

Thanks

EmberA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a PX-330 as a controller for software instruments/computer based recording from 2010 to 2012. It worked well for that. Also, for much of 2011 I played live with the PX330. It was durable, traveled well, and sounded fine for stage work.

The key 'bounce back' you noticed on the AP-420 might also occur on the PX330. If it did, I can't recall it being an issue for me. Once the instrument was making sound, or the attached software instruments were being triggered, the finger-to-music connection was strong enough that I didn't notice any problems. For the uses being described, I'd go with the PX-330.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

A new PX-350 (without stand and pedal) can be purchased now for $699, it is a significantly improved instrument in my opinion, not only sound but also key action. Probably in the neighborhood of $799 with stand and pedals.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

not for just learning but for creating music (through MIDI) and this is the more important part

...[*]I can buy a brand new Korg SP-170DX

That model has no MIDI input at all (neither standard MIDI jack nor USB). This might not matter to you if you don't expect to ever to need to trigger the keyboard's internal sound via MIDI, but just in case you might want to do that, it is a limitation to be aware of.

I don't know how these are priced where you are, but the newer Casios (PX-150/350) have better action than the previous (PX-130/330). You could also look at a Yamaha P35.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been gigging with a PX-330 for a couple of years (I finally retired my ancient RD250s -- I tend to hold on to equipment.)

-- I love the 330, especially the action and I found the acc pianos and some of the elctric piano sounds to be very useable; my gigs are mainly blues and country & paired with an SK1 its a killer little and lightweight rig.

I keep a couple of extra casio wal wart power supplys handy just in case; all in all, the 330 has proven to be quite road worthy; I tend to bounce equuipment around a lot and if it don't truck, it's left home.

I bought the 330 new at a local Guitar Center as a closeout and demo unit for a bit under six.

I've also played the 350 and rcmnd that board as well. One other thought -- the 330 aned 350 are both great for quiet living room jam sessions -- I thought the first thing I would do would be to disconnect and remove the built in spkrs; as I never had a gigging keyboard that had em -- heck no -- I kept them and hvnt regretted it -- on stage it's a different story in terms of amplification, but for small somewhat quiet jams, or just playing without having to plug in extra stuff, those internal spkrs work well.....

I just looked on the Kraft website for their 350 deal -- you can snag one for $700

http://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-pianos-and-keyboards/digital-pianos/casio/privia/px350/

-- BTW my friend has a 150 which I've played; I feel it's not bad for living room stuff, but too few features to make it worthwhile for my situation. Good luck

Well, unfortunately not cheaper if I buy a new one. It would be around $940 (including a stand) while I can get the PX-330 cheaper. Anyway, what exactly do you use your PX-150 for?

I use it on gigs. I don't need the band in a box features, nor the scads of sounds the 350 has. Great piano and ep sounds. It's simple. I use a software B3. If I need horns or strings etc I use a Casio XW-P1, or the software. I've had a PX-330 and recommend it. Great board, too.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

• 2 weeks later...

jó napot a magyar és üdvözöljük a fórum sok sikert a választás

Josef

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I see.

How long does it take to boot up (how much time do you have to wait for it to be played when you turn it on)?

The 350 comes up in seven seconds.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

If you want to hold onto the board over the long term, pay the extra money for the PX-350 or PX5s. Both have superior action and sound, and are in a different class than the Korg 170, which is an entry entry level board with just a handful of sounds. There's almost no comparison.

If you're patient and have the equivalent of Craigslist, you can buy one of these boards used for a reasonable price. What you might want to ask in this post in addition to your above questions, is how reliable these boards are so you can be confident in buying used.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

True, but there is one aspect by which they can be compared, it's the key action... and key action in the long term. I would like to know which key action would support me in the long term. As far as I know, Korg key action is recommended by some piano teachers (see this or this).

Archived