Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The First African-American Piano Manufacturer

Joe Muscara

This is a pretty cool story overall.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ablogsupreme/2014/05/07/309881323/the-first-african-american-piano-manufacturer

How are you going about connecting with piano players?

One player at a time. I call folks, they come over, they play the piano, and they're wowed. Barry Harris was here three weeks ago and he's brought some attention to some other folks about this piano. Church musicians are in here all the time now. I do know there's a responsibility with this, to make the best piano not one of the best the best piano, period, in the world, and that's what I believe I've done. As a people, we can't be parallel; we've got to be three times as good. I'm a perfectionist, so every nuance that goes into this piano has to be the very best.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a cool story. Best to him. That's a good angle, the gospel/church thing. If they sound & play good, and he can come in at a competitive price-point , he might be able to make a go of it. Acoustic pianos for the home though are a tough sell today.

Personally I find the logo on the side a bit garish. I think he needs to re-work the graphics on that a bit.

I'd be very curious to try one. I'd even more like to talk to the guy, as a musician, engineer, and a person who has dabbled in piano tech, I bet he's very interesting!

Personally I find the logo on the side a bit garish. I think he needs to re-work the graphics on that a bit.
I've seen worse.

http://www.maestromusic.co.za/Beatles%20Bluthner.JPG

:D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, I remember seeing that when we all were in HS and thinking...wow a Bluthner, the Beatles use one, that must really be a special piano ! Well it is, and it was long before Paul played Let it be on it. ;)

In certain years some of the manufacturers went nuts with those logos. I've seen some pretty over the top Steinways too, maybe in the '80s ? Seems like it was mostly the Hamburg ones. Although I've seen it with Bechsteins and Bosendorfers too. Maybe it's a European thing.

Yeah, I remember seeing that when we all were in HS and thinking...wow a Bluthner, the Beatles use one, that must really be a special piano ! Well it is, and it was long before Paul played Let it be on it. ;)

In certain years some of the manufacturers went nuts with those logos. I've seen some pretty over the top Steinways too, maybe in the '80s ? Seems like it was mostly the Hamburg ones. Although I've seen it with Bechsteins and Bosendorfers too. Maybe it's a European thing.

Besides, anyone who has a problem can cover it up with tape, right? :poke:;)

[video:youtube]

Archived