Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focal Dystonia

Gary75

Currently undergoing a bad bout of tendinitis and during my browsing for the condition. (A1 Pulley inflammation), I came across this gentlemans videos on focal dystonia. I think we all know about Keith Emersons battle with it, but its crazy to think one tiny muscle can ruin your career.

Just had blood tests to confirm im not getting rheumatoid arthritis. Waiting on my x-ray results now, but looking like tendinitis again. Just joined a band too, got gigs coming up but im not sure i can last long without pain. Nor can I take anti-inflam because they counteract my blood pressure tablet designed to relax the arteries.

So frustrating, I dont think I can play out anymore.

Here's that focal dystonia page with videos.

Focal Dystonia

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its sad to hear that. I fell the greatest compassion for you.

But a part of a successful recovery its keeping your spirits high. No panic and don't let the bad thoughts take over you. Try to develop the techniques the doctor in the video talks about to your future playing, and just hope for the best. Im sure you will find ways to perform, even if you are not on the top of your performance. It still is the music that counts-you will find ways to make it good. In your shoes i would discuss the subject with my bandmates and i would keep on my music life applying all required changes

Best of luck

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I know where your coming from also. Hang in there. I stopped playing for a few weeks and that helped. It's good to rest and get back slowly trying to correct your technique. I agree with using ice also. Some light stretched and stress ball squeezing helps but only after it starts getting a little better. My band was understanding about it. I still get it a bit, but I try to take care of it. I wish I could play 3hrs a day, but I know my limitations for now. Good luck man!
Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

I'm analysing what I have been doing of late and it all points to RSI tasks such as cleaning the house and walking the dogs. Holding the dog leash and having dogs attempting to chase rabbits isn't good due to the shock impact you put your hands through. I have stopped doing that since my other half got back from a 6 week trip to Arizona uni. I'm even looking at those irobot cleaners for the wood floor to cut out the repetitive motion of steam cleaning the floor every day.

But it is added pressure knowing I'm in a band where the players do it for a living. I have not learnt all the songs yet because I'm trying to stay off keys for as much as possible except for a few scales and Hanon for 20 mins here and there.

I have not used ice before in all the years I have had tendinitis. It's only in the last day or so where I'm desperately searching for a speed up in recovery. But I'm going to be doing that a lot now.

Do you really steam clean your floors every day?

That's what I was thinking. Mine get cleaned more like once a week, and sometimes not even that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have not used ice before in all the years I have had tendinitis. It's only in the last day or so where I'm desperately searching for a speed up in recovery. But I'm going to be doing that a lot now.

Give it a try, it usually keeps me good for at least several hours.. usually all day.

1. Fill sink or 5 gallon pail with cold water

2. Put arms in for a few minutes

3. Add ice and put arms in again

4. Commence shouting curse words :laugh:

5. Keep arms in no longer than 7-10 minutes

Once your arms are back to normal temp (warm to the touch), you can do the same thing with hot water. Just be careful of the temp. Best to start of with very warm water and gradually add hot water. Massage is good too.

Good luck!

Do you really steam clean your floors every day?

That's what I was thinking. Mine get cleaned more like once a week, and sometimes not even that.

We have two dogs, and I'm somewhat of a cleanliness freak.

It's just the living room, not the whole house!

Do you know what caused yours condition? Do you now Dorothy Taubman piano technique approach?

A short recovery!!

Leo Dutra

______

Hammond SK2, Roland SH-201, Yamaha DX7IIDE!

Motion Sound KT-80, Groove Tubes SFX 100 MkII

Hammond EXP50, CU-1, FS9H; Roland DP-10

König & Meyer 18950 & 14065

Archived