Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what do you guys think of fender's "wide range" humbuckers?

ashevillecabbie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2010/07/lollar-version-of-wide-range-humbucker-available-soon/ <---- keep an eye out on these. There are a few companies out there that are making 72 copies trying to get the vintage sound. This site has some new Lollar sound clips that sound interesting...

<--- I think this guy sounds pretty hot with beefed up wide rangers by Jamie at the Creamery and push/pull pots for single coil...can't go wrong with a 72! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I have a MIJ '72 Tele Custom from the early 90s with the humbucker... no idea what exactly it is but the guitar sounds like a '72 Tele Custom, and that pickup sounds good.

I have a MIJ '72 Tele Custom from the early 90s with the humbucker... no idea what exactly it is but the guitar sounds like a '72 Tele Custom, and that pickup sounds good.

Is that a Telecaster model with a single-coil Telecaster-style single-coil at the bridge (in a typical Tele-style bridge-plate, and the humbucker at the neck?

If so, how does the neck-humbucker sound with the bridge-single-coil? Together, and in comparison to? Balanced?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Is that a Telecaster model with a single-coil Telecaster-style single-coil at the bridge (in a typical Tele-style bridge-plate, and the humbucker at the neck?

If so, how does the neck-humbucker sound with the bridge-single-coil? Together, and in comparison to? Balanced?

The humbucker - of course - is higher output than the single coil... some people like that, it does have separate volume knobs so they blend them that way. I dealt with it by lowering the humbucker just a bit until the two were fairly balanced. My fave sound from that guitar is the center position with both pickups on.

The humbucker - of course - is higher output than the single coil... some people like that, it does have separate volume knobs so they blend them that way. I dealt with it by lowering the humbucker just a bit until the two were fairly balanced. My fave sound from that guitar is the center position with both pickups on.

:thu::rawk::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I think the wide-range humbucker was an attempt to get a single coil sound out of a double-coil p'up. I think it didn't really work at that, but it did give another variation of tone to the electric guitar.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Even though you may be on to something Picker, I don't think Fender was going for a single coil sound from a humbucker. Getting rid of a 60cycle single coil hum could have been a consideration. I think the "wide range humbucker" concept was to spread the coils a little further apart and put a thin metal cover over them. I think there were two 72 concepts going on at the same time (i.e. paring a neck humbucker with a single coil at the bridge or choosing two humbuckers). The single coil and humbucker combo probably lead the way to the future coil splitting when running dual humbuckers. But this might be giving Fender too much benefit of the doubt. Rumor has it that the 72's were just getting rid of a lot of old Fender stock and thus a Strat neck on a Tele body on one of the models and using up old tone and volume control knobs...but the Frankenstein's turned out to be cool innovations. :idk

Fender put out a double fat Strat with coil tapping of the two humbuckers using "S-1" switching, which made for a lot of interesting sounds on a Strat. Keith Richards was one of the first to break away from the pack with a neck humbucker and bridge single combo on his Tele back in 72. With S-1 switching you can reverse the concept on the fly and use a neck single and bridge double, 2 singles or 2 humbuckers... :cool:

+1 on P90's blending concept of preferring the middle setting using both pickups and the two volume controls to craft the sound you're after. I have a double fat Strat with two volume controls, and one master tone and love playing it in the middle position using a 3way instead of a 5way switch. And then blending what I want out of the two humbuckers without using the coil tapping concept. I don't care to lose volume when switching to and from single coils. Matching the volume levels of the humbucker with the single coil would make more sense when combining them IHMO.

Take care, Larryz

Archived