Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Repair Baldwin RP 2 Digital/GEM made HELP!!!

BluesKeys

Baldwin RP-2 digital home keyboard. Apparently made by GEM

I have a friend who has asked for my help repairing a B above middle C. It will only play when struck hard. I have been into many boards Yamaha/Roland/Kawai/Ensoniq to replace keys and fix this sort of thing but never been into a GEM.

Has any got experience with the workings of a GEM board? Just looking for any help I can get. I asked her if she cared if I could fix it using a high note and she is fine with that.

any help is appreceiated

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's likely to be a bubble contact, not the physical key, no?

If you can get it apart, it may just need the standard cleaning / blowing dust out of the contacts.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

That is what I am hoping, Moe. I think it has Fatar action like my Ensoniq had. The key is level with key bed so nothing seems to be broken. I was hoping someone had done a GEM in the past.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Before taking it apart try pressing the key down part way and wiggling it side to side a little. Then a little farther etc. until it is all the way down. If the rubber contact is folded in on itself and stuck the sideways motion may help loosen the stuck fold.

Good luck.

After getting inside of the unit all it seemed to be was trash around/on the rubber seat. Cleaned and all is fine...

Moral, don't be afraid to look under the hood when you have KB problems. It was a easy fix that a tech would charge you a bench fee of $45-$100 depending on where you go.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived