Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

185 counterfeit guitars seized at bulk mail center

p90jr

185 counterfeit guitars valued at $1 million seized at Jersey City bulk mail center: feds

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/04/185_counterfeit_guitars_seized_at_bulk_mail_center_in_jersey_city_feds.html

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers working at a bulk mail center in Jersey City have confiscated and will destroy more than 185 counterfeit guitars that would have sold for more than $1 million, authorities announced.

Shoddy package and craftsmanship, as well as the country of origin, drew CBP officers' attention to five guitars bearing the Gibson, Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith, and Martin trademarks, as well as the marking Made in USA, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said.

Suspecting that the guitars -- which, if authentic would sell for anywhere from $2,000 to $54,000 -- were fakes, officers at the International and Bulk Mail Center examined them further and found they were indeed counterfeit.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The website said "these guitars could be purchased from China for $200 to $500 dollars." So it looks like they were doing this open and notoriously. The biggie IMO is that they were marked "made in USA". It would be hard for many purchasers buying used equipment down the line with these logos and markings to know if they were buying a real LP, Strat, PRS, etc., if they were good counterfeits. I'm glad they were stopped at the border as once a ton of them they get in, they'll be harder to spot for all of us...
Take care, Larryz

I agree. Great job in catching them before they went out to the consumers.

But I'm a bit disturbed at the idea of "destroying" them. There's got to be a lot of places in desperate need of instruments that could be used for instruction. Why not "scratch off" or otherwise distort or mangle the fake headstock logos and distribute them THIS way. Another d!ck up the ass for the counterfeiters...their products are still being used and enjoyed, but they don't get a DIME. In fact, they STILL get jail time!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I agree. Great job in catching them before they went out to the consumers.

But I'm a bit disturbed at the idea of "destroying" them. There's got to be a lot of places in desperate need of instruments that could be used for instruction. Why not "scratch off" or otherwise distort or mangle the fake headstock logos and distribute them THIS way. Another d!ck up the ass for the counterfeiters...their products are still being used and enjoyed, but they don't get a DIME. In fact, they STILL get jail time!

Whitefang

I'm mostly with you on that, 'fang. :cool: Though one of the things that tipped them off was the apparent "Shoddy package and craftsmanship". I've seen photos of counterfeit Les Pauls that broke under string-tension due to the amount of unidentified "glop" that made up so much of their construction instead of real wood!!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived