Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Almost ready for PX-5S

StanC

Very close to pulling the trigger on a PX-5S. Main reason is weight!! So to begin, I plan to use it as a light weight all in one primarily for rehearsals. But if the PX-5S is truly a good as I've been hearing on this forum, it could ultimately take the place of my S90XS for live gigging.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate a store within reach that has one in stock I could try out. Many have said the APs, EPs and synths sound great, but one thing I had not heard much about was the organ patches. How are they?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome! Thanks

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Stan, if you want to also see how it feels/plays, most stores have a PX-350.

Identical keybed. My new PX-5S plays identically to my PX-350.

I've had my 5S for a couple weeks now. I've barely begun to scratch the surface of what it can do. It is an incredible machine. Throw in the price and the (non) weight, and you have a winner, in my book.

I was reluctant at first, clinging to my 350. A few people here on KC, whom I trust implicitly, kept dropping hints that I really need to have one.

I am thankful I finally listened to them.

Further, the support from other users AND Casio's Mike Martin is unlike anything I've ever experienced.

I know I sound like an ad or a Casio employee. I assure you I am neither. Just a very happy user.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Stan, Alto Music in Middletown NY has several in stock. They are not much more than an hour from Western CT, less than 2 from Hartford. Tom

Norwich, NY 13815

Thanks. From Eastern CT that would be about 3 hour drive for me. With the price of gas these days, and reduced UPS rates thru my employer, I might be better off taking advantage of the 30 day return policy all the on-line stores offer. But that would be only if I hated the board. I doubt that would happen! :laugh:

Stan

My guess is if the S90 was good enough on organ, the PX-5S will be too. It's not quite good enough for folks who want a real clonewheel, with drawbars and all the features. But for occasional Hammond parts in rock tunes, it'd do just fine. It even has presets where you can control some of the drawbars, which is nifty.

Biggest flaw, if I remember correctly and consistent with the demo above, is that the percussion retriggers on each note regardless of legato or staccato fingering (ugh). I think the other thing lacking is the chorus/vibrato, but it's been too long since I demoed it to be sure.

My guess is if the S90 was good enough on organ, the PX-5S will be too.

My second board is an XK1, but I use the S90's "good enough" organs for rehearsals so I'm not shlepping two boards. So the PX-5S's organs should be adequate for my purposes. I'll be "breaking it in" first as a rehearsal board. If/when I use it for live gigging, I will still be using my XK1 for the second board.

Stan

In the Pop band I actually like some of the S90 organs in the proper context. It is stuff that doesn't use leslie simulation. Stuff like Pricetag or Italian combo organ type stuff or where organ are used as part of layers.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My second board is an XK1, but I use the S90's "good enough" organs for rehearsals so I'm not shlepping two boards. So the PX-5S's organs should be adequate for my purposes. I'll be "breaking it in" first as a rehearsal board. If/when I use it for live gigging, I will still be using my XK1 for the second board.
Then I think you're golden.

I use an NE2 for reearsal, despite hating its piano. My current DP is still limping along well enough, but eventually I'll have to upgrade it and a PX-5S is a major contender, along with MOX8 or MOXF8. My guess is I'd probably rehearse with the PX-5S rather than the NE, most of the time.

I really like my Px-5s. I use it with my Nord E3. To be honest the organ sounds are the weakest sound of this keyboard IMO. The distorted organ sounds aren't bad though. The videos with the Burn sound good, but personally I don't want to invest in something that expensive at this point.

I depend on my Nord for all the organ sounds except the gospel or pipe organ sounds. I also like playing organ with the waterfall keys anyway. I carry both boards now even to practice. I find they compliment each other very well and are definitely light enough. I carry one in each hand and I'm not a big guy.

To conclude: the Casio has a sh*t load to offer in many respects and I'm happy with the purchase. I think you should test the organ sounds for yourself to see if they can cut it for what your looking for. Also the Casio forum has downloads for other sounds and you can create you own.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

There is a place in Brooklyn that sells the PX-5S for $825 with free shipping and no sales tax for out of state buyers.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Ordered! Shipping ground halfway across the US. Should be in (under) my hands by next weekend! :D

Stan

Awesome Stan,

If you're on Facebook join the users group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

Obviously many videos on our own page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/casiokeyboards/videos

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived