Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expression pedal for Nord Electro 4D

Phil UK

Would anyone be able to recommend an expression pedal for the Nord Electro 4D? Am I right in thinking that pretty much all the brand named pedals would work (e.g. Roland EV5)? I'm looking to control volume and rotary speed... Thanks!
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I've been using a Yamaha FC-7 with great success since last summer (there's actually a menu choice in the Nord for it). However, I use a plain latching on-off stomp switch for the rotary speed. I believe the Hammond dedicated pedal has a kick switch for rotary speed, but I don't believe it's compatible with Nord protocol.

You might have to build your own......

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I've been using an M-Audio EX-P with mine. It's not the most Hammond-like ever but I've had no problems with it. Not particularly rugged though.

If you want a pedal with Hammond-style kick switches for the rotor, Crumar do a pretty realistic one. Haven't been able to try one out with the 4D, looks like you'd need a splitter of some description for the side switches as there only seems to be one TRS connector for both. A regular 1/4" mono-stereo splitter might work, but I couldn't confirm.

Thanks for the replies! I've gone for the Yahama FC-7 to cover the volume side of things. Will check out the Crumar...

Only had the Nord a week or so - really pleased with it so far.

Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

Hi. I've been using a Yamaha FC-7 with great success since last summer (there's actually a menu choice in the Nord for it). However, I use a plain latching on-off stomp switch for the rotary speed. I believe the Hammond dedicated pedal has a kick switch for rotary speed, but I don't believe it's compatible with Nord protocol.

You might have to build your own......

Jake

I'm with Jake. FC-7 for expression, Boss unlatched pedal for rotary. I just keep my foot on it for as long as I need it.

Both built like tanks, and should last longer than I will!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

If you want a pedal with Hammond-style kick switches for the rotor, Crumar do a pretty realistic one. Haven't been able to try one out with the 4D, looks like you'd need a splitter of some description for the side switches as there only seems to be one TRS connector for both. A regular 1/4" mono-stereo splitter might work, but I couldn't confirm.
A stereo Y cable would work. I have a dual sustain pedal with TRS jack that worked with my Ensoniq (thanks again, BluesKeys!) and used a stereo splitter with other keyboards. I've since replaced the cable anyway (I seem to need to do that a lot, with pedals.)

Not all expression pedals are alike. There are two wiring schemes. I believe Roland and Yamaha are different. However, it's easy to resolder the connector to fix it, or to use a pair of stereo Y cables back to back (reversing "left" and "right") to compensate.

I must just be too heavy (footed)! Gone thru 3x FC7s in 2 years. Got a Boss FV500 last week to try on my Stage 2. The curve is definitely different but it'll take no time to get used to it and feels solid so far. Gonna grab another today for my Kronos.

I must just be too heavy (footed)! Gone thru 3x FC7s in 2 years.

Wow, not sure how you managed that! I honestly thought that after the nuclear holocaust, all that would be left would be the cockroaches and an FC-7 pedal? :)

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Archived