Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I stop Windows 8 from doing stuff I didn't ask for?

It's just annoying!

Windows that I didn't click on regularly pop up at the drop of a hat anyway. Just breathing in their general direction seems to trigger them.

I wanted a touch screen, but damn! This thing isn't predictable at all. I'll be trying to move the page up or down, but the image will suddenly zoom in when I didn't want that.

It drops out of desktop mode into "charm screen" (which really does not charm me) at the drop of a random unexpected hat.

It throws up those little notices at the bottom of the screen: "Windows blocked this or that, or this website is trying to do something windows doesn't like, windows wants to be reassured that you know what the F you are doing, et cetera"

Enough already!!!

I'm pretty happy with my new Acer Aspire 5 laptop, but frankly I wish it had Windows 7 on it.

Sometimes hitting the backspace key goes back to an earlier window, other times not.

Sheesh!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zero issues on my Surface Pro running W8 - what is your machine you are running it on?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

buy a Mac

Apple is evil :mad:.

Hmmm apple eh? I think we are on the Eve of some trouble here 0_0

edit And frankly I don't give Adam about your opinions lol

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

buy a Mac

I don't disagree. But Apple is evil in different ways than Microsoft.

Sorry for a little diversion.. at least dis version but

[video:youtube]

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

buy a Mac

Apple is evil because they grossly overcharge you for a PC with their special OS on it, which can be bought from their store for $59.

Microsoft is more a product of consumer stupidity, particularly corporate consumers. Over and over again they release crap OS's, and over and over again we put up with them because either they came with the pre-packaged system we bought or because it would be too much headache to migrate to a better OS (like Ubuntu, for example...)

buy a Mac

Apple is evil because they grossly overcharge you for a PC with their special OS on it, which can be bought from their store for $59.

Microsoft is more a product of consumer stupidity, particularly corporate consumers. Over and over again they release crap OS's, and over and over again we put up with them because either they came with the pre-packaged system we bought or because it would be too much headache to migrate to a better OS (like Ubuntu, for example...)

\

Like he said - it's just not fair, is it!

There are settings you can change to stop the notifications from popping up. From a run prompt, enter msconfig. Go to the tools tab, select Change UAC Settings and click launch. (you'll probably be prompted for your password). Move the slider all the way to the bottom to "never notify" and click OK.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

See what happens when you post something about Windows :D

Anyway back to your situation, in that case I would suggest it is the proprietary touch drivers from those manufacturers that are at fault.

I had issues with the Acer multi touch drivers in the past. These btw also over-ride the MS drivers. You will find touch screens and Acer have had issues for years.

A suggestion is to reload W8, and load only the Acer/Dell drivers needed but NOT the touchscreen drivers and see how you get on...

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

buy a Mac

An interesting discussion could be pursued here, but I wasn't really wanting to start a flame war.

Apple makes their stuff hard to open and work on because they're paranoid of people copying their ideas. Seems petty to me.

System 8 should have really been an upgrade to System 7 but Steve Jobs wanted to cut the Apple Clone Makers off at the knees. A jerkwad move IMO.

The Justice Department is currently prosecuting them for colluding with publishers to keep the price of ebooks artificially high. Greedy, much?

I don't know if I would characterize Microsoft as evil but they're certainly manipulative and venal as hell. Apple is much shrewder at customer relations and targeting needs that haven't been identified yet, I will happily concede that point. But I don't see that as a reason to love and revere them, for crying out loud.

Microsoft is like a big lumbering dinosaur that feels entitled to rule the roost because of its size.

Truth in advertising: This time of night, I've usually had a snoot full of beer. I'm not looking to fight with anybody but my morning posts will generally be more restrained than my evening posts. Just saying.

If this thread veers into political territory I will abandon it and start another, asking the plaintive question:

"How do I stop Windows 8 from acting like a hyperactive kid who is "just trying to help" when you really wish he would just go take a nap?"

There are settings you can change to stop the notifications from popping up. From a run prompt, enter msconfig. Go to the tools tab, select Change UAC Settings and click launch. (you'll probably be prompted for your password). Move the slider all the way to the bottom to "never notify" and click OK.

Well now, that sounds helpful :). Thank you :).

I will try that when I am sober...

okly dokly - looks like you have it sorted I will move on - good luck with it.

See what happens when you post something about Windows :D

Yeah, that wasn't unexpected.

Thanks for your tips about the proprietary touch drivers. That was helpful, I'll look into that :).

It strikes me that Acer and Dell are among the better made and better selling brands, in the US at least. IMO Microsoft should try to make sure their OS works flawlessly on the brands people are likely to buy... Am I just whistling into the wind here? Likewise, Dell and Acer, if they're selling Windows 8.1 computers, they should also make it a priority to have their machines work well with the OS.

It occurs to me that this is why Apple continues to do business, they are at least smart enough to avoid all this egregious BS...

Jeesus H Effin... STOP IT!!

Keep to the subject, please. I get so sick of this crap. It doesn't matter what forum it is, what the forum subject is, the first time someone asks about a Win or Mac issue within two posts some AH says buy the other one and off we go. Again. And again. And again. That's called trolling and you get no points for this because it's such a no brainer. Get a life.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Bob - Take a deep breath, bro. My mouse has a scroll function. So I get to scroll down past posts I don't get value from.

I'm willing to go out on a limb here that neither jazzdoc52 nor ashvillecabbie is an AH.

And neither are you.

Tim

Jeesus H Effin... STOP IT!!

Keep to the subject, please. I get so sick of this crap. It doesn't matter what forum it is, what the forum subject is, the first time someone asks about a Win or Mac issue within two posts some AH says buy the other one and off we go. Again. And again. And again. That's called trolling and you get no points for this because it's such a no brainer. Get a life.

Bob

+1

I guess tolerance for people who use something different is not a requirement for playing keyboards. ... Anyway ...

I've not had these problem with any of the Win8 touchscreen devices I use. I use a 24" ViewSonic touchscreen at work and just switched to a Viewsonic 27" touchscreen at home. I've never experienced the problems you mention above. My Surface and Acer tablet are also free of those problems. It could be your screen, static, air or heat blowing across the screen. Try attaching a regular monitor and see of the problem goes away.

I do like Win7 much better for my work desktop. Microsoft seems to get it right every other time so I patiently wait for Windows 9. But right now it is really hard to find new Windows 7 computers at a good price so I am trying to force myself to be comfortable with Windows 8.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I do like Win7 much better for my work desktop. Microsoft seems to get it right every other time so I patiently wait for Windows 9.

Boy ain't that the truth! I still have an old laptop running Windows XP. I don't go online with it and it's been stable and fast.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm running Windows 8 on three different HP computers. One is a home Pavilion duo core with a couple of TV/FM tuners that is connected to our 55" HDTV and is used primarily to run Windows Media Center as a DVR for TV shows. No touchscreen, use a wireless mouse & keyboard to control it, along with the Media Center remote control for the TV/DVR functions. No real problems at all - I am using Start8 (best $4.99 product to tame Windows 8 menu system) on that one.

Next is a HP tower workstation with quad AMD processor, in my shop as my main computer there - mostly to make me get used to the Win 8 interface. No added Start8 on this one - I want something like my clients are running. Also no touch screen on that one (although I did have it on a 21" HP touchscreen monitor, and it performed flawlessly).

Third is my new HP ElitePad 900 tablet, which is touchscreen. I use this one at customer sites for something very light with full features. I have had some problems that were due to a failure of an internal board, but no software issues, no real problem of controlling the machine. I only use the on-screen keyboard when I'm out in the field, have a small Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for any time I can use it, I type much faster that way, and the mouse is better at selection than my big fingers on a 10" iPad size screen. This one also has Start8 menu. Presently, it is still running 8.0 - I had some previous problems with drivers for 8.1 on this machine; and am waiting a bit longer for updated drivers.

Other machines are Windows 7 (the 21" touchscreen monitor has Win 7 drivers, and works surprisingly well on Win 7).

98% of the time, I'm running some application from the Win 8 Desktop - about the only couple of the "new UI" applications that I use fairly often are the Weather Channel app and the CyberLink YouCam app for the two cameras of the tablet.

Even when using a large monitor (my monitor at the moment is a 32" HDTV, but not touchscreen), it is still much quicker to type on a keyboard, and move the hand a few inches to a mouse; as opposed to working with an on-screen keyboard and touching the screen. But - out in the field, a one-piece device that weighs about 1.5 pounds and is easy to handle - the tablet does work quite well.

I've never had any of the Acer products - but I don't experience the problems described by the OP. Maybe there is some Control Panel applet that adjusts the touch sensitivity (might be called a calibrate function). Or maybe the Surface and HP tablets have better drivers? I have two Win 7 notebooks, and had to turn off "tap" on both - otherwise, I'd hit the touchpad a little too hard and it acted like a mouse click. With tap off, I just use the two keys below the touchpad that emulate mouse buttons.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Hey Guys chill, I use both OSX and every flavour of Windows and had Ubantu live runnng the other night. More about that on the XP thread shortly.

IMHO OSX and Windows are substantially the same under the hood but each does some things better than the other. Apple, as always, has the edge in terms of the pretty stuff the everyday user sees.

As for the Win 8 touch screen issues keep your hands away from the screen, or disable the touch screen drivers, until 8.1.1 is released in a couple of months when you will be able to default boot into a updated version of the classic interface shielding you from the Metro interface.

Note Apple has stated it will not go touch screen with OSX, time will tell whether this is a good decision or not.

Touch screen interfaces on desktops and laptops have their virtues, being able to move virtual faders on a 23" screen is great, but they can be at best a distraction when working with text or spreadsheets.

MS got it all wrong when they decided we all wanted a phone\tablet interface on our desktops.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Try using Classic mode rather than Metro.

One problem is that Metro sucks with a mouse. It interprets the mouse like a touchscreen, which is moronic, but that's what it does (or at least, it's what it did when it first came out, it may have changed since then.)

So, when you move your mouse rapidly from left to right, without dragging (no mouse buttons down), it interprets this as a swipe.

If there's a more stupid thing that MS ever did, I'm not aware of it. But they were trying to do too many things with contrary goals at once, and rushed the job, and results like this are expected when you do that.

Metro is a great example of what we hate about MS and love about Apple. No worries, there are plenty of things that are in the opposite.

Note Apple has stated it will not go touch screen with OSX, time will tell whether this is a good decision or not.

I was surprised when I first heard that and think it is a mistake for Apple. Your statement about easier to use the mouse when it is a few inches away is dead on. For that reason, the touch screen is most usable for me in a convertible or notebook. I wanted a convertible but settled for an HP TouchSmart and find that I use the touch screen much more on a notebook than on a desktop. That has been my best experience with Win8. My Surface would have been great if is was a bit bigger and if I had paid more for the Intel version. I do wish I had gotten a 15.6" model instead of the 17" TouchSmart.

15.6" touch screen

Keyboard

Build in stand (keyboard)

USB, SATA and memory card slots.

Choice between wireless or wired gigabit

Quad processor and plenty of memory for music and photography applications.

Getting close to a perfect all-in-one do everything computer.

MS have so far missed a great opportunity to get valuable user feedback on their experience with Metro. They should have enabled a smack feature where users could give the screen a gentle smack, it yelps and sends a report to MS about what it did immediately before it got a smack.

They could then regularly update the top ten most smacked features in Metro.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

MS have so far missed a great opportunity to get valuable user feedback on their experience with Metro. They should have enabled a smack feature where users could give the screen a gentle smack, it yelps and sends a report to MS about what it did immediately before it got a smack.

Brilliant!

:thu:

I'd love to have this feature on my new Samsung TV.

Setup insisted that I choose between a cable provider or satellite provider for HDMI 1. It is not connected to either. Blu-Ray, game system, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV. I finally chose Dish so I could continue.

It kept telling me what was on Dish that it thought I would like to watch. (After a lot of internet research I found that after completing setup, you have to menu dive and rename input 1 to someone like "PC" to make it stop.

I like to turn the blue-ray player off first and make sure it completely shuts down before turning off the TV. The TV likes to scream at me "Your Blu-Ray player has lost power. Please turn it back on."

If companies are going to work this hard at making a product idiot proof, they should label the box "FOR IDIOTS ONLY!"

Archived