Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Wright

For bonus points,who can name the guitarist in the Spooky Tooth vid who went on to greater mainstream fortune with his own band?

yes, I believe this video was shot during the Mick Jones era, although I can't tell from this video if it is him or not

:nopity:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pure gold. I saw this lineup in '71 or '72 on a bill with (I think) Bad Co. and a later non Marriot version of Humble Pie. For bonus points,who can name the guitarist in the Spooky Tooth vid who went on to greater mainstream fortune with his own band?

That would be Mick Jones, who would go on to found Foreigner.

This is pure gold. I saw this lineup in '71 or '72 on a bill with (I think) Bad Co. and a later non Marriot version of Humble Pie. For bonus points,who can name the guitarist in the Spooky Tooth vid who went on to greater mainstream fortune with his own band?

That would be Mick Jones, who would go on to found Foreigner.

More trivia. What was the original guitar player's (Luther Grosvenor) pseutonym after he left Spooky Tooth? And what band did he play with?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

And yes, I saw Spooky Tooth live in 1969 at that same rock festival where I saw King Crimson and so many others....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Well, since we're talking about keytars that really aren't, I present the following:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9nXgbhyLg

The Producers, "She Sheila"

Great song, fun band from the 80s, largely overlooked, but with some great songs.

And hey, how can you not love a guy strapping on an Oberheim, and dancing and playing...and wrecking his back in the process. Bald before it became fashionable / acceptable, with the ( stage ) name "Wayne Famous."

I went to college at U of Georgia in the 80's, so I saw these guys dozens of times. The cover band I was in at the time did this song.

More trivia. What was the original guitar player's (Luther Grosvenor) pseutonym after he left Spooky Tooth? And what band did he play with?

That would be Ariel Bender, whom I saw live with Mott the Hoople opening for the first ELP American tour.

Moe

---

Luther Grosvenor=Ariel Bender during his stint with Mott The Hoople. Saw him play with them. Unfortunately,I didn't see either Mott or Spooky with their original guitarists.

[video:youtube]

Dayum, I forgot what it looked and sounded like to see someone that can really play. Sax, synth, timbales, Edgar Winter rocks!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Here is an even earlier video of Gary Wright.

[video:youtube]

Dayum, I forgot what it looked and sounded like to see someone that can really play. Sax, synth, timbales, Edgar Winter rocks!

Not to mention being able to sing just a bit. ;)

Yeah! :thu: I was just overwhelmed by his other musicianship.

And that Gary Wright video from Midnight Special was awesome. Great tune, great musicianship, great stroll down memory lane.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Bad Gary Wright keytar:

Note to Gary: do not replace the single greatest recorded Hammond rock tone in history with a cheesy rompler organ.

OMG, I´ve seen this linup/gig and it was very disappointing, but the rompler organ triggered by the strap-on keyboard was the worst.

A.C.

man, those things are worth alot of money to people who want them, I found out by googleing it. Selling in the US for $2800.00 not working, $3800 fixed

Well, in pre-euro times I sold the big Echorec (I think it was III) for 250.- Deutsch Marks.

At the same time a friend,- guitar player,- he offered me an Echoplex for 100.- Deutsch Marks,- and I passed !!!!

:cry::facepalm:

Today, if I start biting my ass, it could become a full time job.

Because of my age and making a living w/ music, I owned a s##tload of the 70s gear and sold it for peanuts when not urgently necessary anymore.

Back to the "Spooky Tooth" ...

Last time I´ve seen ´em was the 2009 Tour .

Excellent backing band, but compared to the past, Gary and Mike aren´t the same anymore.

It´s quite understandable, they are old now,- but touring is possibly too much for ´em meanwhile.

A.C.

One connection between Gary Wright and Edgar Winter is they both played together in one of the recent iterations of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, I saw that line-up in Atlantic City in 2010, they were both great, as were Rick Derringer and the-singer-from-Mister-Mister-whatever-his-name-is, all of whom were also in that All-Starr Band, just a great show. Frankenstein was mind-blowingly great. Going to see Ringo again this summer here in L.I., excited for it with Todd Rundgren, Steve Lukather and again the Mister Mister guy I believe, in this version.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

It has sort of become the norm to play live with as many people as you can. During the past 20+ years there seem to have been so many opportunities. But I was referring to something more along the lines of defining periods for Edgar Winter and Gary Wright (solo not with Spooky Tooth).

More trivia: Can anyone name the strings between Edgar Winter and Gary Wright?

The strings between them would be Ronnie Montrose who was in Edgar Winter's band before Rick Derringer and who was also behind the only appearance of electric guitar on Gary Wright's Dreamweaver album.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8jN1iv-q80

How is this for over-the-top bopping on camera?

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQv9cRk8R4M

How is this for over-the-top bopping on camera?

Just seems like charming youthful exuberance to me--I was roughly that age back then and playing music was really just that much fun!

The drawback for keyboard players was that good instruments were expensive to buy, and you felt like you had to have a battery of them on stage to do it up right, and I just couldn't quite afford it (though I suspect some of you long time keys players must have burned the midnight oil and hocked your souls to purchase your rigs).

But nowadays, guess what? For those of us who have been following these matters, a few judicious purchases can finally get us close to our musical goals.

This year I am going to get a PC37le (not the newest or sexiest but it's a solid piece of hardware and I need to start with an actual set of black-and-whites) and a copy of Mixcraft 6, which has VB3, virtual Prophet 5, Memorymoog, and CS80, plus Lounge Lizard EP, and a bunch of other stuff--really, for me it's an attractive package--and I will top my buying spree off with Miroslav Philharmonik, a sample library I have yearned for since forever.

IF you're referring to the bass player, Dan Hartman was about 16 when he joined Edgar Winter's band, that is youthful exuberance!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Gary Wright... Pre-Keytar.

A rare cut of Spooky Tooth.

HOLY SHIT! Just found this. Fast forward to 3:05 and you will find an amusing out take of Gary Wright trying to teach Mick Jones a harmony, followed by performances of several Spooky Tooth songs including Old As I Was Born, Cotton Growing Man, and a few others I had not heard up to now. Killer organ parts by Gary. What a tone!

About 30 minutes in you can hear Gary play the Wurlie with the echo unit and wah wah.

Not to mention the amazing vocal duo of Gary Wright and Mike Harrison. I don't think there was a better rock vocal duo since McCartney and Lennon. That is what blew me away when I first saw these guys live in '69.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsJyB6Zm8k

Archived