Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Wright

ashevillecabbie

for all the derision that's been heaped on keytar players over the years, I'm inclined to think Gary Wright set a template that more of us could have followed had we not all been such hidebound conservatives...

having the enthusiastic chick percussionists in judo suits--what a move! I doubt there are many guitar playing band leaders who could come up with such an imaginative concept...

;)

i

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Gary Wright keytar:

[video:youtube]

Bad Gary Wright keytar:

Note to Gary: do not replace the single greatest recorded Hammond rock tone in history with a cheesy rompler organ.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I doubt there are many guitar playing band leaders who could come up with such an imaginative concept...

this is quite true as they are also hidebound conservatives, although maybe in a different fashion :D

those Midnight Special video's are fantastic. I saw that Dream Weaver tour as a stoned 16 year old teenager. Hard to believe it's almost 40 years ago. :facepalm:

:nopity:

Bad Gary Wright keytar:

Note to Gary: do not replace the single greatest recorded Hammond rock tone in history with a cheesy rompler organ.

+1.

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

What a valiant question!

This post raises an interesting question: who made/used the first keytar? Gary Wright used a custom chopped Minimoog - was he the first? How about the keytar used by Edgar Winters? Jon Hammer? Who?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Lookup Joe Cocker's version of "Love Is Alive" on YouTube if you want to hear something that ROCKS. None of the bands I play with have the balls to cover it... :facepalm:

Seems like Wikipedia is saying that Edgar Winter played the first strap-on keyboard (the ARP 2600 keyboard) but they aren't giving him credit for playing the first "keytar" because "it didn't have a neck like a guitar...". I'm calling BS on that one... I think Edgar played the first keytar, screw the neck (always a questionable appendage on a remote keyboard anyway).

Joan Osborne did a great version of Love is Alive too,but not the version on her 2nd album. I have a live broadcast from The Park West on her first tour, and they KILLED it. The studio version that came later is much weaker.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Didn't know Edgar strapped on the 2600 controller. He strapped on the Univox a lot.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Cool I wonder what it weighed. That Univox looked huge but I guess it wasn't so bad. Roger straps on his Moog controller. That thing is made out of stainless. Its heavier than heck. Somewhere there is a video of where the strap broke in Iowa.

Here it is. It still cracks me up.

Well, since we're talking about keytars that really aren't, I present the following:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9nXgbhyLg

The Producers, "She Sheila"

Great song, fun band from the 80s, largely overlooked, but with some great songs.

And hey, how can you not love a guy strapping on an Oberheim, and dancing and playing...and wrecking his back in the process. Bald before it became fashionable / acceptable, with the ( stage ) name "Wayne Famous."

Gary Wright... Pre-Keytar.

A rare cut of Spooky Tooth.

[video:youtube]m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KAYUXkXP4

warning, thread derail. Someone please tell me what the device is on top of Mike Harrison's (I think that's him, anyway) Wurlitzer? There obviously is nothing on top of Gary Wright's rig.

In college I was lucky enough to see a great double bill - Jan Hammer Group headlined - it was the Oh Yeah tour I think - a trio w voccals and Jan Hammer TORE it up - amazing. Although the friend I went with complained - big deal all he did was sound like a guitar. sigh.

The opening act was Dave Sancious and a drummer - what a great set that was - loved it.

It's a Binson Echorec

thank you, Yoke. it's a piece of kit I am not familiar with

I had one,- it´s cool as long as it works ... :laugh:

Instead of a tape loop, there´s a magnetic rotating disc inside, this surrounded by a record and several playback heads.

Count of heads and switchable combinations vary by model, there were several ones.

Brian Auger had a "Baby Echorec" for some time for his Hammond.

All were called "Echorec" (I / II / II etc.).

Mine was "all tube" and IIRC,- all were.

A.C.

...a great double bill - Jan Hammer Group headlined - it was the Oh Yeah tour I think - a trio w voccals and Jan Hammer TORE it up - amazing.

Was that w/ Colin Hodgkinson on the bass ?

I´ve seen a trio lineup too w/ Jan hammer and Colin, but cannot remember the name of the drummer.

They played some Jan Hammer stuff as well as Hendrix "Manic Depression" and some other well known tunes like "Pretty Woman" what he did on another album w/ Neil Schon.

Hammer played his Probe/Lync and a Oberheim 6-Voice thru a Marshall stack only.

For me, that was an amazing gig,- they really burned !

A.C.

It's a Binson Echorec

thank you, Yoke. it's a piece of kit I am not familiar with

I had one,- it´s cool as long as it works ... :laugh:

A.C.

man, those things are worth alot of money to people who want them, I found out by googleing it. Selling in the US for $2800.00 not working, $3800 fixed

Gary Wright... Pre-Keytar.

A rare cut of Spooky Tooth.

[video:youtube]m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KAYUXkXP4

This is pure gold. I saw this lineup in '71 or '72 on a bill with (I think) Bad Co. and a later non Marriot version of Humble Pie. For bonus points,who can name the guitarist in the Spooky Tooth vid who went on to greater mainstream fortune with his own band?

Archived