Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Amphenol plug issue.

CEB

The pins on the Leslie cable Bruce built me to go from the XK3c to the Vent don't line up with the socket. It is a +*^%# to get plugged in.

How delicate are these pins typically? I need to get these pins aligned better with the holes.

Thanks.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Amphenol plug is an eleven pin variant of the octal (8-pin) tube. The same general design has been used also for a 9-pin variant that was used on some Leslies, and a 12-pin used in other equipment.

The easiest thing to break is to break off the center plug that has the key on it that makes sure that one plugs in so that pin 1 goes to pin 1, 2 to 2, etc. If that should happen, QUIT using it until you get the plug replaced.

These connectors really were designed for occasional connections that were left connected for a good bit of time (as opposed to the 1/4" phone plug and jack that were never made to be left connected for months or years).

If your carrying case for the XK3c has enough room, personally (as an electronic tech with 50 years experience), I would leave the cable plugged in to the XK3c all the time, and just store it in the case. If this is not feasible, carry a LED flashlight or other way of being able to see well enough to plug it in, and visually look at the key on both socket and plug to align the plug and socket before plugging it in.

The parts are not as delicate as a lot of modern electronics, but it is definitely possible to break things with excessive force. Murphy dictates that the socket is more likely to be damaged, since it is more difficult to get to it to replace the part. Eventually, with a large number of insertions and removals, some of the socket connectors will loosen enough to not make good contact with the matching pin. Pins don't loosen, but the solder connection with the wire going into the pin may not always be the best - especially with the modern lead free solder.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks I will see if it will fit in the case, this cable is really stiff on the organ end.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My Leslie cable has a Cinch-Jones connector (previous owner mod) that is more durable than the Amphenol tube socket connectors, but still easy to damage at one end (S3-18 male if you're curious).

My solution to prevent damage to the cable is simple: I bought a female end and use it as a cap when it is not plugged into the organ.

Of course, you still need to get something that fits your organ properly. Have you talked to Bruce?

Does your XK3c have an 8-pin DIN output? If it does, and it has the right signals for you, it might make a better choice as the connector is designed for repeated insertions.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived