Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have become comfortably numb

LeftyBlues

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast."*

-William Congreve's The mourning bride (1697)

*The commonly accepted line "savage beast" is a misquotation. The quotation above is correct.

-

If you play cool, you are cool.

Yeah... I caught Gilmour on his About Face solo-album tour with a fantastic band, including Mick Ralphs on "Second Guitar" (I believe this was meant as in ones Second when dueling). They did "Comfortably Numb" as a final encore of many, and man, did he lay it down. It left the audience howling. An excellent example of what the combination of great songwriting and tasteful, thoughtful, emotive playing (not to mention exquisite tone) can lead to. It's not "shredding", but what would anyone possibly change in his leads there that could make it any better? or even just as good? :cool:

Of the number of mixed-bag covers that we do in a band that I'm in, two that I look the most forward to doing are Beatles' songs, "Things We Said Today" and "Day Tripper"; the reason I mention this is that, like "Comfortably Numb", they are great songs with wonderful chord-changes providing opportunity for all manner of melody and counterpoint and just plain fun; a real gas. :thu::cool: I'm not saying I nail it every time- and I never play quite the same thing twice- but when I'm 'in the zone', I really feel inspired to play over those changes and hooks.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I hate to piss in this particular bowl of corn flakes, but as much as I think the song is a well written and executed piece, and Gilmour's solo fits it very nicely, it's NOT "the song to end all songs" that many of it's adoring legions try to make it out to be. I just simply think it's pretty cool.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I hate to piss in this particular bowl of corn flakes, but as much as I think the song is a well written and executed piece, and Gilmour's solo fits it very nicely, it's NOT "the song to end all songs" that many of it's adoring legions try to make it out to be. I just simply think it's pretty cool.

Whitefang

'Course it isn't. No song is. Good thing, I'd hate for there to be an end to songs... ;)

Pretty cool is plenty good. :cool:

Caev - as always a great, eloquent reply and we all know you nail it!! Fang - always value your responses as well and it's definitely not the end-all of songs; that'd be Freebird of course! :D I just absolutely dig his playing and when I'm asleep I play just like that...then hop in my Packard and away I go brother.

Cheers lads!

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

...when I'm asleep I play just like that...then hop in my Packard and away I go brother.

Cheers lads!

:D:thu:

"You bought a guitar to punish your ma...

You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,

He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar Packard..."

____ http://www.special-classics.com/Archive/american/automo14.jpg

:D

As big of a Gilmour fan as I am, I'm more partial to the solos in Dogs and Time. Sorrow ranks up there as well.

I have to say I noticed on the Waters tour where he showed up to play Comfortably Numb that he was pretty rusty on it. It sounded like he hadn't played it in a long time. But that had to be one of the coolest moments in rock history.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Whitefang

Gilmour is no flash player, with amazing finger dexterity I agree. but what he does do, he does so darn well, that it is hard to dislike.

Gilmour is my favourite guitar player. He may not have the speed, but he has buckets of feel.

He claims that the way he writes his solos is by recording a different solo over and over and saving it to a new track each time. Then, when he feels he has enough, he will go through each track and edit out the bits he likes. After that he will splice together all the sections, play them back and learn the new "compilation" solo. Finally, once he's learned the new solo, he will record it onto it's own track as the finished solo.

Well even if you had speed, would it really be so much better in the music quoted here? and yeah there`s amazing music out there that is totally composed-but inspired jamming, or noodling-now I know just tossing in these terms is going to set up opinions for some-right. Inspired jamming or noodling can produce really great music.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Gilmour is my favourite guitar player. He may not have the speed, but he has buckets of feel.

The best part of that statement indicates that if he DID have the "speed", he may have been prone to use it, and many of his solos would have wound up saying less.

His approach to recording solos sounds very time consuming, but obviously well worth the effort.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The best part of that statement indicates that if he DID have the "speed", he may have been prone to use it, and many of his solos would have wound up saying less.

His approach to recording solos sounds very time consuming, but obviously well worth the effort.

Whitefang

Good points.

He's got a great reputation among other musicians and people in the biz as a class act guy that everyone loves to work with.

I also like the fact that even though he leans way left of where I do, I give him props that he's one of the minority in the entertainment business that practices what he preaches. He's sold a mansion he owned to help the homeless, after Live 8 he donated the windfall sales to related causes, his On an Island was manufactured carbon neutral, so I give him his due for letting his actions speak for themselves.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived