Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Q for owners of the PX 5s re mono

miden

How do the Casio PX-5S pianos sound in summed mono mode? I do run a mono FOH, so I am curious.

Thanks

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dennis. The PX-5S in this video is summed to mono so you can hear for yourself.. I think it sums to mono really well:

[video:youtube]

As far as running FOH, there are many ways to do it, depending on your onstage setup: DI box, from a mixer, monitor out from PA/amp, etc.

In general, I find using the non-summed output sounds better for most patches than using the summed output, especially with a decent mono piano.

Most stereo effects don't sound better when summed to mono. Most of them are imaging, and summing just increases the mud factor. A big exception is Rhodes stereo vibrato, but even that sounds terrible in mono (and why would you bother using it in mono?)

The counterexample is stereo pianos where the notes are panned rather widely (e.g., player perspective with treble on right, bass on left). Since most keyboards sum the left and pass right unsummed, this works OK at the cost of some bass, but when playing in a band with a bass player that's OK. Furthermore, I don't care for pianos that are too widely panned in any case. And finally, many stereo pianos sound bad when summed to mono due to phase issues. But for the fairly rare case where the panning is wider than I'd want in stereo and the samples do sum to mono well, the summed output would be better.

I highly recommend anyone playing mono to be sure to compare summed output with single-channel output, for all patches that are important, and choose the option that works right for your keyboard, patches, and style. I'm confident that most players would choose the unsummed side most often, if they give it a fair test.

Thanks Scott for that link - I agree it sounds pretty good.

And Moe and learjeff, thanks for your thoughts.

It is good to hear this. Reason for asking is my gear shop has contacted me with an offer on one that is a real "Godfather" so I am strongly considering making the jump.

I know I have been "less than enthusiastic" in the past re some things on the PX - but I have sort of come to the conclusion that not having the ability for an exp pedal, and the more ordinary quality of the non keys sounds are not really that important.

What matters is the feel of the keys (and I have not read ONE bad review on the keybed action) and the sounds of the APs and EPs.

The length of samples was a concern but if I spring for the PX I think I will couple it with the Ravenscroft from VI for those particular solo piano songs that need it.

Dennis

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Archived