Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOXF or PX-5S to Complement KronosX 61?

Botanicus

Hi all,

After 14 years since buying a new keyboard, I've got hardware GAS again. I've been gigging all that time with a Triton Classic, perfectly happy, and have a S80 and XP80 which haven't seen much use in studio since I've been using an Axiom 49 right in front of my computer and expanding my software wares.

I just scored a great deal on a slightly used Kronos X 61, it's a marvelous machine and after going through the obligatory period of going "Hey, the Zydeco accordion doesn't sound as good as my Triton!" etc., I can see that there's a wealth of performance possibilities here.

But in my investigations I've also got GAS for a new MOXF (really like the sounds in my S80 but too heavy to leave the house) and for the PX-5S. Now that there are some light 88 key models I'd love to do an occasional gig with two boards and trigger the piano and EP sounds in the Kronos with a weighted board.

I've played the MOXF8 and enjoyed digging in on its larger board, although I can't quite decide if I like the action and think I plunked down too hard on it since my fingers got a little sore after an hour session. I've heard great things about the Casio and from what I can suss it's got a better feel and is lighter than the MOXF8.

Again, I'd love to play some of the Yammie sounds live and think they would complement the Kronos. My dilemma is this: the MOXF8 would probably pair well with the Kronos, but I could probably get a MOXF6 and the PX-5S for just a little more money than the MOXF8 alone. I'd get a better feeling keyboard which would also pair well with the MOXF6, or I could go out with the two 61s for tonal variety. I know that pianos and EPs are the PX-5S's strong suit, but they also shine on the Kronos so there's some redundancy there. And gigging with the Casio and Yamaha would leave a void in the organ department (really enjoying the wealth of organ sounds and the CX-3 engine in the Kronos).

Anyway, interested in what you have to say..... I guess my main dilemma is whether to get the MOXF8 or the MOXF6.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have my own opinion. If you have the Kronos you now have tons to work with to complement itself and get the tonal variety by prying under the hood.

Plus there are sample libs you can buy or simply try out for the Kronos. Plus lots of free stuff.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Now that there are some light 88 key models I'd love to do an occasional gig with two boards and trigger the piano and EP sounds in the Kronos with a weighted board.

Be sure to thoroughly investigate this issue. Some 88/weighted keyboards "play nicer" with the Kronos than others. I had a Kronos 61 that worked fairly well with my Kurzweil PC3X. However, with my Nord Stage (classic), not so much....no matter how I adjusted the velocity parameters on each keyboard.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Sonically, to complement the Kronos, I would choose the MOXF8 over the PX5S. However, the MOXF8 is somewhat deep, and if you like to keep the heights of the board close (as I do), that will place the Kronos so far back that the screen will be difficult to use, plus I like the PX5S action better. So there are pros and cons.

I think the best combination might be PX5S on bottom, Kronos in the middle, and MOXF6 on top, to get you the best combination of actions, sounds, and ergonomics. Depending on the Yamaha sounds and features you're looking for, you might even get by with an MX49 or MX61 on the top.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

i have my own opinion. If you have the Kronos you now have tons to work with to complement itself and get the tonal variety by prying under the hood.

Plus there are sample libs you can buy or simply try out for the Kronos. Plus lots of free stuff.

+1 X 10

I'm pretty blown away by all that's here, and I've been a Korg guy for 25 years. IIRC I heard that the burning busch had some great patches for the Kronos. Would love to try them out.

But I still want the other keyboards, too. :-)

Sonically, to complement the Kronos, I would choose the MOXF8 over the PX5S. However, the MOXF8 is somewhat deep, and if you like to keep the heights of the board close (as I do), that will place the Kronos so far back that the screen will be difficult to use, plus I like the PX5S action better. So there are pros and cons.

I think the best combination might be PX5S on bottom, Kronos in the middle, and MOXF6 on top, to get you the best combination of actions, sounds, and ergonomics. Depending on the Yamaha sounds and features you're looking for, you might even get by with an MX49 or MX61 on the top.

I've noticed you have that setup or thereabouts in the double/triple keyboard thread. I did enjoy playing the MOXF8 a couple times and particularly the new soundset in bank 9, which wouldn't probably be in the MX49. Nice guitars and strings as well as the S6 in that bank. Also very impressed with the video walkthrough of the MOXF6 with Phil Clendenin.

I was taken recently by one of your recent posts in which you mentioned having an array of keyboards that you really liked the feel of, even at the expense of some sound functionality. The PX-5S and the rest of the 150-350 range get such glowing reviews. My partner in another band is just got one so I'll have a chance to hear it up close in a few weeks for our summer season and get a good feel for what it can do.

Archived