Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Artis - no power - HELP!!!

ivorytickler66

[font:Arial]

Hi

My first post - pity it's a negative one!

I bought a Kurzweil Artis 2 weeks ago and have had it working fine in my back bedroom (connected via headphones). That was until last night - tried to power it up and nothing :( . I changed the lead, used other sockets in the house - still nothing.

I'll ring up the dealer and report this to them on Tuesday but just wondered if anyone has any ideas on what might've happened. Internal short circuit? I had just added my first 2 user settings but that's probably a coincidence. This is my first Kurzweil and although seemingly great for piano sounds, am not sure on their reliability reputation.

Hopefully I've just been unlucky and they'll agree to repair it for free, or get me another.

Any info or advice welcome please!

Cheers

Tim

[/font]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about the Artis but attached to the power switch of the PC3 is a fuse holder that contains two 500 mA fast blow fuses for 115V or two 250 mA fast blow fuses for 230V. Check and see if the Artis also has a fuse holder attached to the on/off switch. If so, check the fuses.

For directions on how to do this, go here:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3/downloads/

Download the pDF entitled musicians guide V2, then go to the "Changing PC3 Voltage" section. In this section it explains how to get to the fuses. Hopefully the Artis and the PC3 are the same.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Also - Jean with Kurzweil support is likely to be of help (although he may not be checking in on Easter).

Kurzweil Operational Support

If there does turn out to be a hardware problem, this link will let you find the closest Authorized Service Center:

Kurzweil Service Centers

I have owned a total of 8 Kurzweils - their support (not often needed) has been excellent.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

[font:Arial]Thanks guys for your useful replies. My nearest service centre (in the UK) is about 160 miles away(!) but if it is just a fuse issue I know someone local - I'd prefer they do the work rather than me :/

I wrote to Kurzweil Support on the web site yesterday too, so hopefully this should be quickly fixed.

Cheers, Tim

[/font]

• 2 months later...

I got a similar problem with my 2 months old PC3K8.. I replaced the fuses (both where broken) but still no power! Is there any way you can put those new fuses in wrongly? I mean there is no + / - sides on those things right? I made sure I had the exact same ones (250mA, 5mm x 20mm, fast blow) and the right voltage label is shown on the back panel (250V). Those fuses are there to protect the hardware itself right? It`s weird that replacing them didn`t solve anything..

Has anyone an idea what I can try before I have to send it to a dealer? I had my old K2500 for 18 years without a single issue.. Tim

FYI I purchased an Artis around May that lasted two days before it would lock up when I was editing, or selecting Multis.

Jean was as helpful as he could, I even sent him my files to look at, but he couldn't see any issues. I tried the usual start from scratch reload OS back to factory to n avail.

My retailer took it back and sent me a new unit, although I had to wait a month for a replacement,

I think ours were in a block that may have had issues. Know this, they are assembled overseas, so maybe that could have a bearing.

My replacement has worked OK it just locked up one time, but from what I have read , this is an issue with Kurzweil with the way they lay out the OS and supporting hardware, IOW its a computer with thingys floating around to interact, if that makes sense?

I see your in the UK, so I hope your retailer works with you for a warranty replacement.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

• 1 year later...

Hi, I read this forum for some months but it's my first post here.

My replacement has worked OK it just locked up one time, but from what I have read , this is an issue with Kurzweil with the way they lay out the OS and supporting hardware

Since I would like to buy an Artis 7 I'm a bit worried about that

Is this really something usual on these boards, or is it a faulty batch which is to blame ?

Thanks

Wurlitzer 200A, Steinmann upright and numerous electronic disposable instrumentsâ¦

Well, it's now over a year on from the original post. The guy hasn't posted since so I presume he got it fixed. Ham&Egz is still around, as far as I know, so I'll let him speak for himself. But the OP sounded like a hardware problem (maybe as simple as a blown fuse we don't know, because he never posted again) while the other sounded like a software issue. Nearly 15 months on, chances are Kurzweil may well have posted a software update in the meantime which fixed any issues.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Well, it's now over a year on from the original post. The guy hasn't posted since so I presume he got it fixed. Ham&Egz is still around, as far as I know, so I'll let him speak for himself. But the OP sounded like a hardware problem (maybe as simple as a blown fuse we don't know, because he never posted again) while the other sounded like a software issue. Nearly 15 months on, chances are Kurzweil may well have posted a software update in the meantime which fixed any issues. [/quote

Yes I am still here Aidan, and to the question, I am gigging with my Artis 7 and have no electrical nor mechanical problems.

What I do run into occasionally when jumping around patches is a voice will come up with lo or no volume in a multi.That is only because, as close as I can figure out, is the previous voice in that slot has a cc7 or 11 setting of 0 on its controller that is carrying over.

I havent dug into the editor to look at all my patches, because frankly, the editor sucks

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

What I do run into occasionally when jumping around patches is a voice will come up with lo or no volume in a multi.That is only because, as close as I can figure out, is the previous voice in that slot has a cc7 or 11 setting of 0 on its controller that is carrying over.

Yes, VAST has a concept of entry and exit values which I assume is what you're seeing on the Artis. When a program or performance is unloaded, all MIDI CCs are set to the object's "exit" values. This can be used to reset anything you might have changed with physical controllers (like levels or FX parameters) back to their default values, or alternatively (which I think is the default?) the value you left it at will carry over into the new object - useful if you're using a gas pedal.

When the new program or performance is loaded, MIDI CCs are set to the new object's entry values. I believe the default behaviour is for it to keep them as they were unless you set them otherwise. On the PC3 at least, the exception is the pan position which always resets to the centre.

I'm not sure exactly where you'd set all this stuff on the Artis though, I've only used a PC3K. I guess it'll be in the same place you set controller assignments?

Yes, VAST has a concept of entry and exit values which I assume is what you're seeing on the Artis. When a program or performance is unloaded, all MIDI CCs are set to the object's "exit" values. This can be used to reset anything you might have changed with physical controllers (like levels or FX parameters) back to their default values, or alternatively (which I think is the default?) the value you left it at will carry over into the new object - useful if you're using a gas pedal.

When the new program or performance is loaded, MIDI CCs are set to the new object's entry values. I believe the default behaviour is for it to keep them as they were unless you set them otherwise. On the PC3 at least, the exception is the pan position which always resets to the centre.

I'm not sure exactly where you'd set all this stuff on the Artis though, I've only used a PC3K. I guess it'll be in the same place you set controller assignments?

heres the weird thing, I set my entry and exit values to 127 on the foot controller assigned to volume for the patch in question, UNLESS, now that I think about it , one performance has organ in slot one, another patch has piano in that that with no foot volume assigned, I will have to go back and check the edits with the soundtower editor,

I think I can set e/e values from the front panel.

SpaceStation V3,

Archived