Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You be the judge

Richard W

Well, just to close the loop on this one: we did the gig last night with the two new horn players referenced above. We had exactly one rehearsal with them prior to the show, but the bottom line is they filled in nicely, if not exactly, like the two earlier guys. I was happy too because the fact that the band could bring in two new guys virtually site unseen and pull off the show demonstrates a new level of competence for the band--I'm not sure we could have done it a year or two ago.

Live and learn.

That's pretty much what I thought would happen.

Consider yourself real pros now, stop rehearsing so much and do more gigs!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RichardW

Now your band can STILL feature a lot of songs that use a horn section. Your first post said that the two original players did one rehearsal with the band before each gig. The two new horn players did one rehearsal with the band before the gig.

That is both the blessing and bane of a good horn player - the player can get the job done with only one rehearsal - makes it easy to get work, but also makes it easy to be replaced.

Your band got the real blessing - first off, you guys didn't bad-mouth the original players or get all uptight, you acted as professionals, replaced the players - and the gig went well. That has increased the confidence of each and every band member.

Second, no one in the audience at the gig (other than maybe your spouses/close friends) even had a clue that there was this last-minute replacement.

Third, what goes around eventually comes around. As you do unto others, eventually, it gets done to you. The manager of the wedding band may happen to see a couple of new "hot-shots" that play horn - if so, those two 20 year olds will find themselves replaced - maybe even as late as after they show up for a gig. OTOH, your group is stronger both musically and morally than before. The group is in a real good position to go out and get more gigs.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Here's another perspective.

Especially if the band-hoppers are music college grads (because they can move in different circles) I'd say they executed a "smart business move". They took an opportunity to trade up, and who says they would have ever gotten another chance?

Seriously, if you were the wedding band would you have said, "Ok, we'll dig around for another horn group to play our first two shows until your schedule frees up", or instead, "If we have to find other horn players we'll just use them and we'll never call you guys again."

From this point forward as long as they don't get blacklisted from the bigger movers and shakers they'll never have to play with "weekend warriors" again.

It's not so much about the cash as it is about the opportunity. And I'm not talking about a few wedding gigs; I'm talking about getting on the bigger radar.

I met a college student who majored in trombone. Now he leads the horn group that played with Bob Seger for his last national tour. Since then I never see those guys gig around town with some low-profile rock band playing "Sweet Home Alabama" for $50.

Honestly, if you're on a big city's 'A' list do you ever play gigs like that? I think not.

I'm not saying what they did was morally right, but because of the way the music business works I can't say I blame them for what they did, either.

I you (any of you) were playing in a band and your lead guitarist was called to play a national tour with a great band for a great opportunity....but they had to leave today... the only thing stopping them was your gig on Saturday... would you not send him/her on their way? Encourage them to go/ Insist that they go?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

on the other hand ... a commitment is a commitment... otherwise it would not be a commitment.... now onto coffee....
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Agreed that honoring the date would have been better, but things happen. The real reason the horn players are dicks is because they did the breakup by e-mail. A little phone conversation where you apologize and say things like "So sorry, baby. I just couldn't give up the bread. Big opportunity, blaa blaa blaa. I hope you understand" would have gone a long way.

Me? They'd be on my shit list and would only get a call if'n I was squeezed tighter than tight between a rock and a hard place. I wouldn't burn the bridge, but I wouldn't be taking care of the infrastructure--leopard spots and such.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

yea... the email quit is not cool... But I see people misuse e mail all of the time... I am thinking about putting together a short course on e mail use for professionals....

#1 on my shlist is the drummer who arrived half an hour past start time to the gig where the owner will not stand for late starts and threatens to dock your pay if you start even one minute late. (Fortunately for us the venue made a mistake and double-booked so we didn't look as stupid for not having a drummer.)

The drummer who band-hopped through our band? I still call him to sub when the opportunity arises and if I ever need a studio drummer I wouldn't hesitate to give him a ring: he's fantastic.

Eric, it's not the 'trading up' that rubs one raw, it's the way it was done.

A professional business mindset would have them at least call and discuss it in person and at least try to give a recommendation of others that could fill in for the gig.

Like "I realize this is late notice, but we got this opportunity to land a long-term and well paying gig that we just can't pass up. I can give you a couple of names of guys who could stand in for your gig. I already gave them a heads up that you may be calling."

Something like that at least shows a little bit of professional courtesy and good faith.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Ask any three year old if they want one ice cream now or two in an hour

Ask a young, twenty-something horn player if they a big, shiny gig now, or a big shiny gig later.

And - to address all of you haters that are all wound up about quitting via an email ... we live in a cell-phone society. Relationships end by way of text message. Facebook posts. Instagram photos. We are hired and fired by email. It's easy and quick now that we don't have to actually pick up our phone and USE it as a phone, or get all up in someone's grill to break to them bad news. It's a good thing they at least emailed instead of getting on your phone ...

"GOT BTTR GIG 2NITE C U LATES LUCK" followed by five really stoopid emoticons.

Enough already.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I agree that it's the common courtesy of my generation, but I notice that many people in their teens and twenties prefer texting, and folks in their thirties love emails. It seems we only talk on out phones when we are driving. ;)

I think it's a reflection of how people want to communicate, but on their own terms. After all, you can ignore a text on with a n excuse of "I didn't see it, my phone ate it" but to ignore someone face to face is rude.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I'll give you that, but...

It doesn't make it right and it lacks a level of 'Professionalism' and proper respect that seems to be lacking in the current crop of 'Professional' musicians these days.

FWIW:

I'm old

I'm proud of being old

"Get off my Lawn, you disrespectful punk."

... It's time to take my meds...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• 2 weeks later...

unprofessional move, especially because if these kids were hot players, the other band would wait for them.

They're 20 somethings...... that's what they do.... Though I play in a band with a couple of players who were in nationally known/famous bands and the guitar player has called a few hours before a gig to casually tell the band leader " I got a better gig....later" (unfortunately the band leader is too star-struck to fire him on the spot when he pulls this sh!t)

I am a horn player as well as a bass player (bass is the first love, trumpet is what I've played the longest.) I get lots of calls to fill in on horn... no rehearsals, no charts, just show and blow. There just aren't that many horn players around, so hacks like me get called all the night :-), BUT if there's a booking on the calendar, I have to say 'no thanks' even if it's a better $$ gig. That's how most of us roll... period.

Can I please make a plea on behalf of horn players everywhere? PLEASE consider learning at least a few tunes in horn keys! You ever try to blow a decent solo in the key of B? (6 sharps for a trumpet) E and A are pretty crappy keys as well. Consider coming up or down a half step and show some love to the horn players! It's EASY to transpose on a stringed instrument...You'll be shocked what the horn player will bring to the table when s/he can blow a solo in a comfy key.

Happy Sunday!

.....You'll be shocked what the horn player will bring to the table when s/he can blow a solo in a comfy key.

Happy Sunday!

Right on. Same for the vocalist.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived