Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jacob Collier 19 years old, amazing talent

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must have been some work to do, it sure is crafty. I don't think the chords are right, I don't like the rhythmic lines because they're a bit stupid rip-offs from Jazz things (with no connection to the song I know, or emotional connection with anything I like or admire), and honestly, I don't think it adds anything to the original, which is a very interesting song, still now. Of course trying out a Stevie Wonder song is a great ambition...

T.

Agreed, it's a little too reminiscent of "Don't Worry Be Happy," and certainly won't make anyone forget the Stevie original, but just the complex sophistication of some of the harmony arrangements impressed me. Seemed like a Brian Wilson influence although who knows if this kid has listened to him or not.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

This kid is extraordinarily gifted! I hear amazing lines, And that is the essence of music is a melodic line whether in the Soprano or in the inner parts... Multiple lines, all the better.

Stevie's brilliant original is eclipsed in certain parts of this young lads arrangement. The original is starting eg on F4 F E4 E Eb4 Eb D4 D Db4 Db C4 C F repeats

I forgot the chords in Dminor

But this youngster improves on Stevie's harmonies, no small trick!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Is he playing all the instruments?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I believe he is playing ALL instruments, that is why is say, "amazing". And his musicality, his lines , are amazing esp for a teen.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Seemed like a Brian Wilson influence although who knows if this kid has listened to him or not.

I was kind of thinking Take 6 and Gene Puerling. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. Wonderful work.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Talented? Highly. Impressive? Very. Gave me a headache? Yes.

This is busy and dense for the sake of being busy and dense. He just dumps everything he can do into this. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is more, too. I'd love to hear him do more with less.

Hey, it wouldn't be a KC thread without a little dissent.

Here's a different approach:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/one-woman-band-heart-shaped-box-cover

It must have been some work to do, it sure is crafty. I don't think the chords are right, I don't like the rhythmic lines because they're a bit stupid rip-offs from Jazz things (with no connection to the song I know, or emotional connection with anything I like or admire), and honestly, I don't think it adds anything to the original, which is a very interesting song, still now. Of course trying out a Stevie Wonder song is a great ambition...

T.

Theo.. You "don't think they are correct? It's brilliant reharmonization! Rhythmic rip offs? Really? Find me entirely new music that does not borrow from other music. It is a language this young super talent is using.

No wonder I get in hot water here at KC. Ought I just give up?

This kid is obviously very talented (and so totally influenced by Take Six). Yes these arrangements are "Squeaky Clean" and to my taste devoid of the greatness that only comes from not knowing what your collaborators are going to play at any given moment, but that doesn't mean he's not super talented. It just means he's young and he's made some shiny videos to show off. If you dig a little deeper, you'll find footage of him playing piano with his mother (I think) on violin, and also sitting in at Ronnie Scotts.

Give him time to grow up, and I suspect he'll learn that the beauty is rarely in the perfection.

Steve he's a kid. Did you hear his reharmonizations? Is this kind of talent common to you cats? Maybe I am getting out of touch, maybe this is not common, but more common than I realize. So Super talented but does not realize about perfection and imperfection, and can't play with others? Hmmm WHo can play with others in this awful infrastructure we live in today?

Where the hell are the gigs. When I was around his age I was working my ass off.

I just thought... oh well, ok.

Archived