Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AD/DC band calling it quits

desertbluesman

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/acdc_guitarist_malcolm_young_very_sick_band_reportedly_calling_it_quits.html

AC/DC Guitarist Malcolm Young 'Very Sick,' Band Reportedly Calling It Quits

Sad news have recently surfaced from the AC/DC camp, noting that guitarist Malcolm Young is very ill and that the band is left with no other choice but to call it quits.

Initially, a series of contradicting stories began to appear. The Australia dismissed the initial rumors, saying that a "music industry source" revealed that the band has booked studio time in Canada for six weeks starting May 1.

On the other hand, a 3AW article claimed that the band might announce retirement as early as tomorrow, with the radio host sharing grim doubts about how "we may not hear them perform or record ever again," also pointing at Malcolm as the reason behind the situation.

Unfortunately, more info regarding the possibility of split and Young's bad health surfaced. Mark Evans, the son of band's original singer Dave Evans, tweeted that "Malcolm Young is very sick... [Malcolm's son] Ross Young spoke to my father this morning because the cat got out... But yes, the band will be finished... No new shows or music."

Evans further noted that Malcolm's condition had been going on for several months, also saying that the official statement will surface soon.

According to the Orstrahyun report by journalist Darryl Mason, "when AC/DC recently reunited in a rehearsal studio, Malcolm Young discovered he had forgotten how to play, due to a brain clot."

"AC/DC won't continue playing and recording without Malcolm," the report reads. "It can't be done. AC/DC is his band, he started AC/DC, under the guidance of big brother George Young (producer, songwriter) and encouraged his younger brother Angus to join. Malcolm Young has been the quiet motivator and boss of the band for four decades, co-writing nearly all of AC/DC's classics.

"His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn," Mason concluded.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's best to wait for an official statement...

AC/DC Not on Cusp of Retirement: Sources

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6053874/acdc-not-quitting-retirement-rumors

Glad to hear it, hopefully that means that Malcolm is right as rain.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Exclusive: Brian Johnson, the frontman of the rock band AC/DC, tells Jake Wallis Simons that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10769783/ACDC-We-are-not-retiring.html

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

You might want to change the topic of this thread.

Here's an official statement from the band:

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the groups diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his familys privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

http://www.acdc.com/us/news/message-acdc

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• 5 months later...

It's official... Malcolm's nephew will replace him permanently:

Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm's condition, he will not be returning to the band," the band said in a statement on its website. "AC/DC will undertake a world tour in support of 'Rock or Bust' in 2015. Stevie Young, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm Young, plays rhythm guitar on 'Rock or Bust' and will accompany the band on tour.

NEWS

Well, we've discussed this before....

SHOULD a band just give it up if or when a long time member dies or quits..

Let's ask a few....

SHOULD U2 soldier on if BONO dies? OR "The Edge"?

WOULD they be "The Stones" WITHOUT Mick Jagger?

There's lots of dudes who felt THE DEAD should have hung it up after Garcia died. SOME of them thought it should have been when PIGPEN died. AC/DC obviously feels they're NOT AC/DC without Malcolm. Sorry, fans, but it's THEIR decision to make.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I went to see Marshall Tucker about a year or two ago, and the band was just fantastic as far as their instrumental original sound. Without the Caldwell brothers vocals, it just wasn't Marshall Tucker anymore. I already know the Stones are not the Stones without Mick and CCR is not CCR without Fogerty...I would still go and see Mick or Fogerty live though. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Of course, just so everyone is on the same page... AC/DC is not calling it quits. Angus and Malcolm Young's nephew Steve Young, will be joining as rhythm guitarist.

BTW, Malcolm's battle is with Dementia. I know that battle all too well because my Mom has it. You can read about Malcolm's Dementia here:

DEMENTIA

Whitefang

For a real example, I've had to wonder about The Who, going on with only two original members? It was sad to lose Keith Moon, a back in the 70's, but The Who without John Entwistle? I dunno . . .

FWIW, the last time I saw The Who was on their '89 Tour, and there were so many people onstage it looked like a Vegas revue, not the four-man force of nature I'd seen for years before. I never felt the need to go see them again.

The other one that really bothered me was Queen. Paul Rodgers?!?!?!? Why in the hell would anyone try to replace Freddie Mercury with the guy who sang All Right Now?? Now, Adam Lambert, that young man has the voice, and the range to carry on. I hope he stays with them.

Whitefang - the rest of the Grateful Dead did retire the name (at least the Grateful part) after Garcia died. For a while, they'd re-grouped as The Other Ones, then The Dead, before finally fragmenting. The Dead on their Summer 2003 tour, gave some of the best shows I'd ever seen or heard, by any configuration, under any name.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Let's ask a few....

SHOULD U2 soldier on if BONO dies? OR "The Edge"?

WOULD they be "The Stones" WITHOUT Mick Jagger?

There's lots of dudes who felt THE DEAD should have hung it up after Garcia died. SOME of them thought it should have been when PIGPEN died. AC/DC obviously feels they're NOT AC/DC without Malcolm. Sorry, fans, but it's THEIR decision to make.

Whitefang

Hey Fang...good questions! ACDC are actually continuing with Malcolm and Angus' nephew filling the spot.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Sometimes, you just can't replace a key member. Their voice, style or abilities just can't be replaced. For example, I'm firmly in the "no Jon Anderson/no YES crowd. Other examples: Roger Waters & Pink Floyd, Freddie Mercury & Queen, Emerson/Lake and Powell(?), etc.

As far as Malcolm, I feel bad for him and his family. Dementia is a horrible disease. It robs you of your most precious possession: your memories. I wish him well...

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Well how fickle is success anyway. I think AIC is still making awesome music after the loss of Layne Staley. But people whined and complained and sometimes got ugly about the new guy. Nothing personal but, IMO Gary Cherone was a weak link in not one but two otherwise great bands, Extreme and Van Halen. He wasn`t bad exactly, just a wrong choice.

Paul Rogers in Queen? I had not heard about that, I`m thinking for good reason.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived