Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: Reminiscing

Griffinator

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I thought you were starting a thread about that awful old song by Little River Band!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I was a big Heep fan as a young teenager. I cut my teeth on Demons and Wizards.

I did get over it. But yeah, I liked Hensley then and I bet I'd like his playing now. Uriah Heep lyrics, on the other hand ... ugh!

I admit I still like to play the signature lick for The Wizard on acoustic guitar. But, too bad about just about every other element of that song. I also really dug the piano part to "What Should Be Done" ... I was just playing that the other day. On a good piano it sure does ring out.

I was a big Heep fan as a young teenager. I cut my teeth on Demons and Wizards.

I did get over it. But yeah, I liked Hensley then and I bet I'd like his playing now. Uriah Heep lyrics, on the other hand ... ugh!

I admit I still like to play the signature lick for The Wizard on acoustic guitar. But, too bad about just about every other element of that song. I also really dug the piano part to "What Should Be Done" ... I was just playing that the other day. On a good piano it sure does ring out.

Yeah, the lyrical content was pretty atrocious, but David Byron had a glorious set of pipes! It was easier to ignore WHAT he was saying...

Salisbury and Magician's Birthday were the best of the bunch, IMO.

Oh, I thought you were starting a thread about that awful old song by Little River Band!

Naw, not awful, just overplayed. It's a good little cheesy morsel with sublte spicey aftertaste from the solo outro. I have it in my piano repetoire.

Never went through a Uriah Heep phase, but have always loved the band name.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hensley was indeed one bad mofo. Though not a virtuoso like Jon Lord,his Hammond sound was super heavy and he used it very effectively. He also wrote some outstanding songs as the band's principal songwriter. Though overshadowed by Byron vocally,Ken was a very capable singer himself,as witnessed by his solo work and the few times he traded vocal lines with Byron(Paradise/The Spell). He also played some hellified slide guitar.

The sword and sorcery lyrics might have grown a little tiresome,but at the time they were cutting edge and seemed super cool to me. When I saw the classic lineup in '71 or '72 Ken had his B-3 going through two side by side custom Leslie cabs,each powered by a Marshall 100 (I presume) head. Not great for gospel sound ,but perfect grind for heavy rock. I was fascinated by the pilot lights on the middle panel of the Leslies that lit two different colors to show rotor speed change.

Look At Yourself and Demons and Wizards are still two of my go- to albums when I need some primal Hammond. Oh,and Heep's vocal harmonies were superb both in the studio and live. Ken's book "Blood On The Highway" is an interesting read for anyone so inclined. In it,it sounds as though Ken's tenure with southern rockers ,Blackfoot,wasn't quite a marriage made in Heaven. OK,thats enough out of me on a subject about which I'm a bit enthusiastic. I didn't find it OT at all.

It was always "Very'Eavy, Very 'Umble" and "Look at Yourself" that did it for me. I still listen to them now when the mood takes me.

Saw them live, in 1973 or '74, in Newcastle (UK). GREAT concert.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Archived