Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Empirical Labs - Fatso - Analog Tape Simulator (OPINIONS)?

Kenny.

Here's the deal. I first saw the unit in Mr. Fortner's video of David Rosenthal's keyboard rig. Since seeing it, I've been seeing these up for sale more and more (yes, I understand it's not new..but still). WHY!? I can think of a billion things I'd buy before this $2200, extra rack space filler.

Am I being a little mean for someone who hasn't tried it out, or is this just a waste of cash?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I being a little mean for someone who hasn't tried it out...?

If you can't see the value of it, it wasn't built for you.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Well, he'd need any choice of Dolby unit (A,B,C,S, or X), some mid-frequency processing unit, a couple of (mono) studio delays, maybe some messy compressors and a few specialties to sound just as crappy as a lot of recorded materials, preferably by connecting them up in random order...

T.V.

There are a ton of these multi-thousand dollar sound processing devices. I see page after page in the Sweetwater catalog and add up the bucks... WOW.

My view is, in the hands of a skilled engineer, they can really take your sound to the next level and give it that "pro" touch. If you don't know how to use them effectively, your money is better spent elsewhere...

In my experience, which is not inconsequential - especially concerning Empirical Labs (I wrote most of the text on their web site, and did the script and VO for a few of their demo videos), more of the higher end studio processors than not are more beneficial in a studio environment rather than live.

I'd say that's even more true with something like the Fatso....which is a fine box, mind you - just more suited for studio use. Not sure the average gigging keyboard player will really see that much of a benefit by using a compressor in their rig in general, much less a specialty one like the Fatso.

There's way better ways you can spend your $$ to improve your live rig....having speakers you adore and trust is the most important thing, IMO. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Had to Google David Rosenthal.

Great advice above - lots of great studio magical boxes and software available. Studio time where I am has become relatively inexpensive. Rent rather than own for these high end boxes (and software). Last session I paid £50 for two hours, Neumann Us for the vocalists, expensive preamps, the engineer Drumagoged the kit without being asked and fixed some dodgy bass notes. £50.

You've nice keyboards in your sig - out of interest, what are you playing / onstage monitoring through?

David Rosenthal - wow, what a career.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Greg Scot from the house of kush (UBK) mods these and sells them through wave distribution http://www.wavedistribution.com/ubk-fatso.html

I have his UBK-1 plugin which is simply amaaazing. Its a compressor, saturator, movement generator. Apparently the plugin gets to about %90 of the hardware unit. Maybe give the demo a try before you buy the Fatso?

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Greg Scot from the house of kush (UBK) mods these and sells them through wave distribution http://www.wavedistribution.com/ubk-fatso.html

I have his UBK-1 plugin which is simply amaaazing. Its a compressor, saturator, movement generator. Apparently the plugin gets to about %90 of the hardware unit. Maybe give the demo a try before you buy the Fatso?

I work with the Kush guys currently. :wave:

The UBK-1, while based in the UBK Fatso, is not quite the same thing. The UBK Fatso is basically an Empirical Labs Fatso with a few different presets - just adds more compression, essentially.

dB

Hmmm when you say work, do you mean working on some new awesome stuff? :) Maybe like a hardware version of the Pusher? :)

Do tell!

I work with the Kush guys currently. :wave:

The UBK-1, while based in the UBK Fatso, is not quite the same thing. The UBK Fatso is basically an Empirical Labs Fatso with a few different presets - just adds more compression, essentially.

dB

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Hmmm when you say work, do you mean working on some new awesome stuff? :) Maybe like a hardware version of the Pusher? :)

Do tell!

Nah, I'm not an engineer. I do sales and marketing stuff for them, as well as a few other companies. :cool:

As for future products, it's never really a good idea to talk about stuff that may or may not be in development. Lotsa things happen between talking about a possible product and it becoming real and available...and not all of those things are good... ;)

dB

Archived