Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Beginnings - Forgive me, my brothers

Danzilla

After taking about a year off from playing in bands, I discussed with my wife the possibility of getting back out there this year. She knows how important music is to me, and we worked it out that I could start searching again in January (as long as it wasn't a band that insisted on practicing multiple times per week).

One add was for a power trio. Traded a few emails, then heard nothing from them. (Until a month later, then I was involved with another project.) Finally got some song samples that were ok, but not great. Pass.

There was a singer-songwriter whose name I'd heard before who needed a bass player. We had a few phone conversations, and I went out to audition. It was him and a lead guitar player; still searching for a drummer & keyboard player. He had put out a cd in 2012, and we would be doing songs from that, hopefully writing more originals together, and doing some out of the ordinary covers ("Over My Head" by Kings X, "Type" by Living Colour, "Hey Joe" by Hendrix, etc.) It was interesting. A potential drummer never made it out, and we did one acoustic show that was... well, you have to start somewhere. But it was good to be playing again, and the guys were quirky but cool, especially the lead guitar player.

Then a few weeks ago I got a message from a friend with whom I'd played, both at shows and at church, over the past decade. He was in a new band, playing lead guitar, and said they wanted a 2nd guitarist to fill in the sound, and he thought of me. I went to audition, and found out the drummer was someone who used to play at my old church. Things seemed to gel rather well, even though my guitar chops are rustier than my bass playing. The band leader liked what I did, enough that they all agreed that they want me. More rehearsing confirmed it was a good fit. And they have gigs lined up, too!

So, forgive me, my bass-playing brethren, that I am setting aside my bass to play the skinny-stringed instrument for a while. The new band is aware that I play bass, and might have me fill in if the bass player has a work conflict (which happens from time to time). So I have not totally abandoned you. I'm still a bass player at heart.

The other duo took the news rather well last night, when I told them that I only had time for one band and was choosing the other one. We're both open to working together again, if the need & time arrive. (Oddly enough, they finally have a lead on another candidate for drummer.) Still, as I drove home, I had a twinge of EPB syndrome, wondering if in a week I should ask them to take me back. Na, I'd just quit again in another month.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries- being a jamming/gigging guitar player still beats being a bass player sitting at home :):rawk:

I've done a similar thing for church- I moved over to guitar to help us expand our repertoire and it made room for another friend of mine to play bass on the team.

I still play bass with the 'work' band, and playing guitar has made me a better bass player.

I'm even taking some leads on guitar and growing that skill.

So there's nothing to forgive :thu:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Nothing wrong with that, whatsoever! If anything, I sometimes wonder if I should set aside bass for a while and focus on guitar - I used to play a wee bit of rhythm but even that has deteriorated.

Still, as I drove home, I had a twinge of EPB syndrome, wondering if in a week I should ask them to take me back. Na, I'd just quit again in another month.

Sounds like an absolutely terrible syndrome ... :rolleyes:

:grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Of course, while I was shopping for a new guitar amp over the weekend, I saw a used Schecter Stiletto 5 string bass at an almost affordable price. Fate, you're a cruel mistress! (Good thing I don't believe in you.)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I wish I could play a guitar in addition to bass. I sometimes think about taking guitar lessons, and then I remember how far I need to go to become a better bass player.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

i play guitar regularly, actually I have been a guitarist long enough to accumulate a Raymond Burgos spanish guitar, a Sigma D28, a white MIM Stratocaster which has undergone heavy surgery of late, and an Ibanez Joe Pass.

The latter is a great guitar that is well on a par with many Gibsons I see at school except for the L5 of the founder.

The Strat has got Custom Shop '54 pickups and a new Gotoh tremolo bridge with two screws.

I spent some money on that, but now it sings beautifully and stays in tune for months with a floating bridge and two screws. I think I have not wasted my money.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Pfft. Like I care. There are too many guitar players and not enough bass players as it is. Taking a bassist out of the mix improves my chances of getting a gig.

Plus, where you live? Baltimore? Please. You're about 8 hours south of me. Not a problem.

Seriously: What some people don't like to think about is that what we play (with notable exceptions) is an electric bass GUITAR. There are more similarities than differences. A gig is a gig.

Play both, whenever you want to. Tell anybody who says you shouldn't to stick it - only, you know, in a respectful, family-friendly way...

I have a nice electric guitar and a nice acoustic guitar and have been known to play a gig here and there on one of those instruments: usually a duo gig (guitar and voice) where there is no bass player, so it's just extra money for me.

It helps one's musicianship to be able to play more than one instrument.

I've considered learning guitar, as Jeremy states, it helps to know more than one instrument, and then I'll have to learn chords, which will help my bass playing and accompaniments. "Strictly rhyhtm he doesn't make it wanna cry or sing"

Also, it would be cool to able to drop in on more jams, because though I do have an ABG, it is seriously not loud enough to play with others unamplified.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

You're dead to me now. Dead! :mad:

Hey, SOMEONE had to say it, right?

Nah, just kidding. Nothing wrong with that. I still play guitar - I played it for a year or so before I picked up the bass. If you have the groove, then bass or guitar will do just fine. Some of the best rhythm guitar I've heard is from bassists 'slumming'.

It's all good. If you were to take up bagpipes, however...

(ok, I'm kidding again - I love bagpipes!)

Play. Just play.

Isn't it ironic?

Hoards of guitarists who can't find a gig audition as bass players. Of course they often don't make the cut because they sound like "a guitarist playing bass", not a bassist. This exact thing happened to a guitarist buddy of mine.

I've played bass with two switch-hitters in town (on guitar). Both are bassists at heart. One has filled in for me on bass before.

Even I got a call to play rhythm guitar. A trio needed a fourth, licensed musician to play a gig. The bassist's license didn't come through in time, though, so I ended up playing bass.

I'm still waiting for a gig I can use as an excuse to upgrade my guitar gear. :D

Enjoy the experience without any regrets!

What's going on around here!?!? All of you missed the point!

No - I don't mind that Dan is playing a different instrument. More power to you!!

Dan just found a new way to indulge his GAS by switching instruments!

I bet that amp shopping trip happened on the way home from his official induction!

And don't kid yourself ole boy. The Minister of Finance will figure this out!

Start working on a strategy - one that doesn't include the phrase "but you agreed I could start playing again"

Best of luck - enjoy!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived