Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-keyboard rig pairings

As I play exclusively in a Genesis tribute band my need is to emulate Tony Banks use of Hammond L100/Mellotron/ARP Prosoloist/RMI or Grand Pianos.

I migrated to an L-shape last year and the result is:

Top - Roland XP30 connected to ARP ProS Rack +

Bottom - Hammond SK2 connected to Roland Fantom XR

L - Korg Kronos 73 (also connected to Roland Fantom XR above)

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Keyboard%20Rig/a8hWPXV2zVJeLcOG-5soAs7fPiDeg6ktbVIr-ucHuiAVrKYN4n8JYDZiv5uJh2UpMdIhScsLkW1XGPbklVzVHg_zps62e5f21f.jpg

Perfect set up for me - I'd like to work my Mellotron M4000D in there but I don't have room in the car.

One of the best pictures I've ever seen..

Wow - thanks Kenny!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I have used a three-keyboard rig on rare occasions, the majority of my gigs involve two keyboards. Though there are times I'm able to cover a particular gig well with a single keyboard, the two-keyboard pairing has been my go-to setup since the mid-1980's. For the variety of stages I play, two keyboards is just right: L-setups have been a logistic risk, and I find three-tier stacks to be cumbersome.

From the early 1990's to around 2005, I normally used a module to supplement the top-tier keyboard; in the later years that was an organ module driven by a ROMpler. I did try the reverse in 2009 - running a Motif XS Rack with a Hammond XK-1. That didn't work as well. In recent years - with a few manufacturers integrating dedicated clonewheel engines into multi-engine instruments - the reality of a full-coverage rig with two keyboards has come more into focus for me.

Below I've listed several live, keyboard pairings used since 2000, and some thoughts on those rigs:

*Fatar Studio 1100R with attached Yamaha P50m / Korg O1/W Pro. Roland XV-5080 in side rack - as needed. Great, overall live rig; lots of complimentary tones, and flexibility - between the Yamaha pianos and the wide variety of sounds in the 01/W.

*Roland RD-700 / Yamaha Motif 7: The RD-700 offered a solid, core selection of pianos; but also could pinch-hit in the synth dept.. Got a lot of use from the large, Motif sound set; very impressed with this new offering from Yamaha. This was a capable pairing.

*Yamaha S90 / Roland VR-760 (w/SRX 07 - Ultimate Keys): I much preferred this combination to the previous one. Getting back to the Yamaha piano tone, plus having a Motif sound set in the same keyboard was great. And having a 76-key organ / synth hybrid - with drawbars - was an excellent compliment to the S90. Used this rig for a lot of country work.

*Yamaha S90 / Korg Triton Extreme, w/Roland VK-8M. Expanded the top-tier synth engine, while retaining the Roland VK clonewheel engine. Solid, jobbing rig.

*Yamaha S90ES / Nord Stage 76. This was a pairing great, initially, for a new round of country, road gigging. But, when I started needing to cover heavier, ROMpler type stuff from the second tier I found the Stage 76 limiting. Sometimes I'd bring out my Motif XS from the home workspace to use as a MIDI module - off to the side. Carting three 'boards was often a pain.

*Kurzweil PC3X / Yamaha Motif XS 7. Sold the Stage 76 to Tony O. (I think it was his fourth Stage :laugh:), put the S90ES in the home studio, and tried this combo live for awhile. I think the PC3 and Motif sounds compliment extremely well. The Yamaha has a brighter edge, while the Kurz has a more organic quality - like the original Nord Stage, but with a larger synth engine. As a Kurzweil dealer at that time, I had the chance to try gigging a PC3, top-tier, above the S90ES. I liked that combination even better.

*Yamaha S90XS / Nord Stage 2, 76: Great contrast of the brighter, 'digital' tone with the more 'organic'. The Stage 2 was a strong improvement over the original stage. This is a solid combination for country / americana.

Currently my S90XS is in the home workspace - as controller / sound module. While it can be used live, bottom tier, for more intense layers and additional tones, I'm finding the CP4 to be a stronger piano / ep on stage. That compliments the Kronos 61 I'm using, top-tier. So, currently:

CP4 / Kronos 61: fantastic combination for a wide variety of stuff. The Kronos is an uber-synth, with the clonewheel built-in. These two keyboards have distinct, sonic footprints. Great 'chameleon' hardware rig.

Jupiter 50 / Kronos 61: Comprehensive, synth coverage - when having a weighted 88 isn't critical. Like above - distinct, sonic footprints.

CP4 / Jupiter 50: Haven't taken this combination out, yet. But I suspect it would work well. The SN Performances in the JP50 have a certain, sonic 'separation' - much different than what I experienced using an XV-5080 live. I have used the S90XS and JP50 together. The Tonewheel engine of JP seems to blend-in a little too easily with the the S90XS. Other tones - especially electric violin and accordion - seem to have more separation.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hi,

For my two rig common configuration, I use a Yamaha S90XS on bottom paired with a Roland Fantom G6 on top. I find these boards indeed complement each other. I'm in a full time touring cover band, performing at least 165 shows a year, outdoor festivals, theaters, high end corporate private/events, occasional clubs, all over the country. The band is billed as a 'tribute to all generations of music' so I must cover parts from the 60s to present day, meaning from California Dreamin' & The Who to Maroon 5 & Blurred Lines and everything in between.

The S90XS has a great piano sound and feel, which I love for say Bohemian Rhapsody etc. I can cover a lot of organic sounds, rhodes, dist wurlys etc and depend on my Fantom G for the more 'dancy' modern stuffLady Gaga, Rhianna's S&M and so on.

How I find they complement each other even further: We have a vast repertoire, with some medleys, but do not use a set list per se. Our band leader can call anything at any time but we flow song into song quickly & professionally. While performing I can smoothly be ready for the next song moving between Favorite Banks on the Fantom G. I have all of my favoritessplits/layers/ (more accurately called Live Sets) on Fantom G stored and midi-ed to the S90XS so I can be ready with one touch of a button for the next song. Also, the Yamaha lets me have Multis, set up and several split amongst both boards, which I rely on heavily for several 80s songs (Bon Jovi, Billy Idol, Journey etc). I also control tracks containing auxiliary percussion loops from a laptop, so the ability to freely access Favorite banks while still playing is a wonderful thing. This is a case where the Fantom does a better job allowing that then the Yamaha, as you're asking, where one lacks the other takes over. I feel I'm able to use them both for my best interests. As I mentioned the Pianos/Organs/Rhodes/Clavs I like a lot from the Yamaha more synth based stuff and horns/brass, from the Fantom.

So that's what I'm playing now. In the past I was more of an organic two keyboard rig guy-usually with the Yamaha P250 or CP 300 paired with an organ clone, such as the Hammond XK1. But since I have to have access to way more sounds in this role and for all the above mentioned reasoning I arrived at my current set up.

One last point. We fly a lot and have to be provided with back line but it's a simple scenario in that with each board I can use a flash drive and call up all of MY settings in a snap. Certain times I can't get the S90XS, but usually they'll have the Motif XS8 and with some minor tweaking I'm good to go. Both those keyboards are typically common with back line providers, so this was another factor in my decision making to go with these two boards.

Perhaps I've gone into too much detail here..if so forgive me!

-Marc

I used to use a Yamaha S90 on the bottom tier and a Korg Karma on the top tier. I'm getting too old to carry the S90. For gigs, I've replaced the S90 with a Privia PX-350. So much lighter! The Privia is very easy to set up splits on the fly, so lately I've been using it if I have to play left hand bass instead of bringing another board. I still like the Karma as the top keyboard.

My main rig is a Nord C2, with the Roland PK7A pedals. On my 2nd tier I have a Korg Microstation, to the left of the korg I have a Boss 660, since most of my gigs are solo gigs. I use the bass pedals in such a way that i alternate with the bass line on the 2nd manual with the left foot for punctuations, and playing the whole line on the pedals so that the left hand can change patches on the korg, on the nord, and to punctuate breaks on the drum patches in sync with the pedals,real time drum orchestration . I have the leslie pedal ( the Roland pedal) on top of the pedal board, to the right of the expression pedal. I also record cd's in this format. Often, when playing AP on the korg, i do it I the way would in a trio, with left hand inversions and bass note punctuations, with the bass line totally on the pedalboard, including rubato intros, using the korg expression pedal to the left of the expression . SERIOUS MULTI-TASKING, to be sure, but i practise it so often that on gigs and cd's it's second nature. I have waited all my life to have a set up like this after having played in countless big Bands, combos and trios. with this set up, I can draw on my health repertoire of standards, Jazz tunes, & spontaneous compositions, without having to ask bass players and other players if they know the song, or what key they do it in.

I do miss playing with other players, but it is VERY satisfying to be able to crank out a tune spontaneously, either for dancing, requests,etc, and not need ANY sheet music. The only thing i miss is having a third digital piano with hammer action along side this set up that is light enough to take on a gig. If i could, i would add a Nord E3hp, or even a Yamaha cp35 , but i don't play enough gigs for that, let alone afford it.

robert w nuckels

Looks like a lot more players use Hammond clones than I thought, that's great !

I started back in the 80's, B3 bottom D6 clav on top.

Then to a Hammond Porta-B bottom, DX-7 on top. Then Porta-B / RD 300 on top

Then RD 300 bottom, XB-2 Hammond on top , and in the 90;s added a Korg 01w as a third above the xb-2.

Then to a Wurlitzer 200A bottom, xb-2 on top, used this combo for many years.

Now Im back at it, started with just an SK2 as an "all rounder", but now I switch between the Sk2 , and a Moxf8 bottom / Xk3c on top, depending on what gig it is, Im new to the xk3c and have the lower manual as well, which Im in love with right now, so ill be using the full xk pro setup more often , just hard to put an 88 on top of that and be able to reach it.If I can get away with straight out organ, that's what Ill use.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I play a Nord Electro 3 (61) w/ Ventilator on top of a Korg SV-1 (73) on a Monolith stand. I run MIDI from the Korg into the Nord so I can play any of the Rhodes or Wurli sounds on either from a weighted board. I plug the Nord via the stereo mod the Vent has into the 1/4" inputs on the Korg and then send the 1/4" outs on the Korg to my own monitors and the XLR outs to the FOH. Lightweight, small footprint, fast and easy set up and it sounds pretty good although 95% of my playing is B3/Rhodes/Wurli emulations.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

I usually gig with two boards, but I still haven't found a 2-board rig that doesn't have a significant compromise. It's hard to even find a 3-board rig I'm completely happy with.

I thought I had come up with a nearly ideal 2-board combo with the MOXF8 and Nord Stage 2-73, with the biggest shortcomings being that neither had my favorite actions, and that I couldn't get the two as close to each other as I'd like. I posted a thread about that at

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2537443

where I talked about the idea of going with three boards strictly for the feel and ergonomics, things having nothing to do with sound.

It turned out even that was a compromise. I thought I had found a way to get a low E into the Nord, but it turned out that, while I got it to work, it messed up some other functionality, and so, if nothing else, this was not a rig as suitable for LH bass as I'd anticipated, in either its two or three board implementation.

Most of the time, I gig with a Casio 88 and a MOX6 (transitioning to a MOXF6). The combo is light, versatile, with pleasant enough actions. It's a perfectly workable rig for most of what I do, but I would not call it ideal. I miss having a clonewheel in this rig, I miss aftertouch, and I don't find it well-suited for LH bass gigs where I want to be able to go down to that low E on my non-piano board.

I've considered putting the Nord Stage 2-73 or Kronos 61 or Kurzweil PC361(/PC3K6) over the Casio, any of which would get me the clonewheel and aftertouch functionality, but the Yamaha sounds work so well for me, and I'm spoiled by the light weight, so it's hard to overcome the inertia of continuing to do what I've been doing. But short of the LH bass issue, any of the them over a Casio would make for very nice 2-board setup that's still pretty light, with the two boards easily placed close to each other.

I seem to be increasingly into feel and layout/ergonomics lately, albeit still within the constraints of light weight. At the moment, I'm happy that I've found a way to "condense" a version of one of the 3-board stacks I've been gigging with. I've got a Casio 88 on bottom, Numa organ in the middle, MOX(F)6 on top, and the distance from the bottom tier's keys to the the top is just 10 inches in height, and 15 inches in depth (from the front of a Casio key to the front of a MOX key), with full access to all controls. I'm thinking a Moog Sub 37 would complete this picture pretty nicely! (Aftertouch and a real-time tweakable synth being the missing pieces in the stack.) Annoyingly, there's no way to use the Numa's low keys for LH bass while playing organ at the same time, it's one or the other. (The reverse preset keys are fine when playing as a single manual organ, but not the best use of the keys when doing a split where every bit of keyboard real estate counts.) I'm thinking of trying mapping the Numa controls to Galileo on the iPad for those gigs where I need to do LH bass, I think that would let me use that board as a clonewheel and LH bass board at the same time.

Sometimes small and light is the number one priority. For that, I've used a NumaCompact and a Microstation, which even fit in the same gig bag (the two boards together weigh under 20 lbs). Though I might switch the Microstation to an MX49.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Im using an RD-700 with an XK-1 on top. This combo works well for the country/rock bands and the original Americana band Im playing with.

Currently Im not even using midi as Im playing AP, EP, pads/strings and organ. In the pop/dance band I did play with, I used the XK as a controller to play synth/brass stuff out of the RD and a module.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Mostly blues, light-weight, post-rotator cuff surgery:

Casio Privia PX-5S on the bottom for piano, Rhodes & Wurli

Hammond SK1 on the top for organ and clav

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

The gigging rig is a Roland Juno-Stage under an E-Mu Longboard.

The studio rig is a Korg Kronos 88 under a Kurzweil K2500.

At times, the Roland XV-88, the Super-JX, and the Yamaha KX88 get inserted in and out of the studio setup.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Bottom: ES7

Top: NS2 compact

In the '90s, it was Korg M1 on top, ASR-10 on bottom.

In the '00s, it was VK-7 on top, ASR-10 on bottom.

Then it was on to the Nord Electro and eventually my NS2. I still have the ES7 but it usually stays at home these days.

For praise music: New Yamaha CP4 (its awesome folk, best acoustic piano Ive ever played in an electric instrument...my favorite patch so far is CP Mono)

Nord Stage 2 76 on top, for EP and organ (still haven't been able to tweak the CP yet on the EP sounds, and the Nord is awesome. )

I am using pads on both boards depending on the song selection.

For jazz, just the CP4...it is all I need. Can carry it with one arm. (Need to get a bag for it however.).

The bands I've played in have been along the lines of classic rock, top 40, jam band, and praise & worship.

The configuration I liked best of the 3-board variety was an L-shape with a ROMpler (XS8) facing the crowd, and a VA (Ion) and clonewheel (NE373) on the other stand. I've gone back and forth on which to have on top and which on the bottom, and it depends upon the song list, but it generally seems rather arbitrary, as some songs it might be more convenient to be in prime position to play more involved parts on the top board, and in others on the bottom board.

I'm not a big fan of splits and layers, so I need each board to be versatile. For some more electronic-based songs in a set I find myself needing multiple synthetic textures, so I need a good variety of those type of sounds from a workstation, and something usable on the clonewheel, which was the weakest of the three for that purpose in that configuration. There have been a few times when I've played with a second keyboard player who is more of a pianist, and in that context the VA and clonewheel add the variety.

Before I had a clonewheel I played organ parts on an 88-key worksation, which isn't much fun if you want to play aggressively, with palm smears and such. Things were improved when I added a second 61-key ROMpler (Triton Extreme) to the workstation/VA rig, and at least I could play organ parts on synth action keys. It was also useful in certain sets where I needed multiple "realistic" sounds in the same song.

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

I play in a few bands and use a different configuration for each. My Chicago style blues band requires a pretty meat and potatoes setup; organ, piano/clav/ep, some sax, some strings. I sometimes use a KeyB Solo on the bottom with a Mini-Vent and pair that with a Korg M3-73 on top; the M3 has absolutely smashing sax and strings as well as pianos that cut through the mix. My other rig for blues is a Yamaha CP-4 on the bottom and a Hammond SK1-73 paired with a Mini Vent; both of these are absolutely perfect for blues and cover all the required sounds.

My heavy blues/rock ensemble is organ, piano/clav/ep, synth, strings, brass. I mostly use the two basic rigs I do for the blues band with the addition of a Korg Kronos 61 or a Nord Stage 2-73 on the "L" for the synthesized sounds. I use a Mini Vent for all organs. I think the Vent is the most fantastic product I've used yet to achieve a real leslie sound while keeping me from being in traction 2 weeks a year....1/2 LB vs. 150 plus for a 122. I pair it with a Speakeasy Vintage pre amp pedal and it makes the organ scream (if needed) at low volume.

I use QSC speakers exclusively; my favorites are the KW-122 and the K 10's. The KW's are astounding gig speakers that cut through any mix in any room and the K 10's are for smaller venues.

Finally I absolutely love keyboard technology. I've gone from having a Farfisa combo compact when I was a kid playing in my high school band to the most amazing, authentic equipment on this Earth which makes me sound way better than I actually am.

My typical multi-board rig:

Top: Nord Wave

Bottom: Korg Kronos 73

For those gigs that are far more AP / EP centric,

Top: Kronos 73

Bottom: Yamaha CP4

I haven't done the two keyboard thing in probably 12 years (maybe longer) but if I did , the Kronos 73 + CP4 would probably be my first choice.

Maybe substitute a Stage 2 76 for the Kronos as second choice.

One of the main reasons I stopped doing two keyboards, aside from the schlep, and change of musical direction to more acoustic styles of jazz is - I was never comfortable sight reading charts with 2 boards. Reading off to the side or even on an angle is so un-natural to me , although I have done it.

I'm just a better reader when things are right in front of me like on acoustic. I've tried elevating the Manhasset above the second board but then things are too far away to see cleanly. And that was in the 90's. I'd have a snowball in hell's chance of seeing that today... :laugh:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

For me, when I use two keyboards it still is

Numa Organ on top and...

Roland RD-300GX on bottom.

The 300GX is a great controller and can be used as a lower manual with ease in combination with the Numa. The RD300GX action is fairly light for an 88 key digital, and the top controls have a low profile so the organ can be stacked fairly close to it.

The 300GX also has a very good Rhodes , probably my favorite that Roland ( or practically anybody else) has issued. The Wurli is good too. And the acoustic piano sample ( Superior Grand) is still one of my favorites.

The RD 300 GX is fairly light too... I think 37 lbs. Not quite Casio, but similar to the Yamaha CP-4.

For 3 plus years this has worked well for me.

My two-keyboard rig was inspired by the Reader's Poll in the February 2013 edition of Keyboard Magazine:

Best High-End Do-It-All Stage Keyboard: Nord Stage 2

Runner-Up: Jupiter-80

Im in a band that plays classic rock, 80s-retro, and some Top 40. I dont do recording, sequencing, or anything like that. I need keyboards with simple, intuitive controls geared for live performance.

Overall, the Jupiter and Stage compliment each other well, each compensating for the others weaknesses. I use the Jupiter primarily for VA, strings, pads, horns, and solo instruments, with the Stage covering APs, EPs, organ (with Ventilator) and more VA.

For club jobs I also use a small rack containing a Korg TR-Rack and Yamaha Motif-ES module. But I really could run with just the Stage and Jupiter...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

For the longest time, I played in a Grateful Dead oriented jam band that also did a lot originals.

That started with an Alesis QS8 on bottom and a Roland VK-7 on top.

Then it was a Kurzweil PC2X on the bottom driving a Roland MKS-20 and Roland P-330 for that mid/late 80s Brent Mydland piano sound.

On top I had the VK-7 run through an Elextrix Filter Queen (for Won't Get Fooled Again) and off to the side was a Roland JX-8P run through an Electrix Warp Factory vocoder.

Later on I was replaced the Kurzweil and the rack with a Roland RD-700 expanded with a couple of SRX cards with the VK-7 on top.

After that I sold EVERYTHING and went to a Roland VR-760 on the bottom and an EMU-VK-6 on top.

Then there was a Kurzweil PC3LE7 on the bottom and a Hammond XK-3C on top.

Most recently it's been the Kurzweil on the bottom and a Nord Stage 2 SW73 on top. If I can get away with it, I'll just use the Nord and the Alesis. Love the morph feature on the Nord where I can just fade from a piano to Hammond by stepping on a control pedal.

Yeah, I had a bad case of GAS in the past.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I play in a couple of groups...the duo (playing for seniors) i use 2 arrangers - psr 910 and a korg pa900...in the blues band i play a vr09 (top keyboard) with a yamaha p105 on the bottom...each is a easy setup...stevec

Now at the age of 44 i have found my dream-rig:

Vintagevibe 64 (and Effects) + Nord Electro 3(73) (and Neo Ventilator).

I couldn't be happier!

PS: I still have my Rhodes Mark2 in our rehearsal room...

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Way too much gear to schlepp, but it serves me well:

SV-1 on bottom, Axiom 61 on top. Both control Laptop running Forte with a bunch of VSTi's and an expanded Roland JV 2080. MOTU Ultralite serves as interface, mixer & patchbay, allowing me to route pretty much anything to the Ventilator, headphones, FOH, etc.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/mcgooze/2013-09-20181947_zpseb00007b.jpg

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Archived