Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-keyboard rig pairings

PX-5S bottom (piano/pads/orchestral), XW-G1 (bass/solo synth/drums) with iPad mini(samples/SPFX) on top. Under 40 lbs and entire rig can be run on batteries if need be.

As an aside, I held off for a LONG time getting into the whole iPad thing, and honestly I wouldn't do a show without it now.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROLAND VR700 bottom tier

KORG MICROSTATION top tier

I completely love my pairing. All my organic sounds on the bottom with a very accommodating keyboard feel. Supplemental synth patches.. horns.. etc.. from the top. It's an ergonomically efficient rig (pack both boards in the same gig bag) and the rest of the bands and the sound guys seem to really like the sounds I'm pumping out.

I play in a classic to modern pop rock duo and a classic to modern pop rock dance party band.

Here is what she looks like all together:

VR700 MICROSTATION combo

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

For me it started with a Rhodes 88 and Obie 4 voice. From there a CP70 with a DX7 and PPG 2.2. Paired everything down to a Roland JV1000, then added a Yamaha S90 on the bottom. When they were stolen I replaced that setup with a Motif ES8 on the bottom and Novation X Station controlling VSTs through Mainstage. I love the versatility of this setup particularly playing the ES from sequencer (multi) mode. I also have a Kronos 88 which would be my one go to keyboard if I was only taking one or the Motif and laptop. It's a great time for musicians and I've been around this stuff for quite a while

Bottom board: Nord Piano 2

Top board: Nord Electro 4D

Middle board (if needed): Nord Stage 2

If it's mostly an organic sound (blues, classic rock, soul, etc.) it's a two board rig. If we're talking more symphonic numbers, I need all sorts of pre-loaded voices ready to go, so it's the three board rig.

How about a companion feature on what people use for amplification?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Bottom Nord Electro 3. Top Nord Lead 2. I compromise on the feel just to save my back/hands from moving an 88 around this crowded city of mine. When i do fly-in gigs, they bring my a Nord Stage 88 where i connect my XV2020 and my Mainstage. On top there's always a controller. Next month in Spain it will be a three octaves M Audio Ozonic. Other times i had other cheap controllers. For many gigs nowdays i try to make it with kust my Electro-either piano, rhodes or organ and i'm good to go
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

When I used my boards for playing out when I started that idea, I had a RD300 eqivalent (the 80s one) Roland piano, and used a DW8000 or a TX802(multi-DX7II)+controlleron it. Also, I've used a rd300 with a variety of instruments at the time, in Jazz/Fusion, like a (original, I liked the keyboard) DX7, a JX8P and wavestation.

I've not currently gigged, but I know what live sound should be like when I like it, so I think about sounds as also being live-usable with a CP4+PC3. It's easier to take a motif on a gig, probably, they're well behaved. It in that case is nicer to add an analog or completely different sound to the mix, but it depends.

Why can't people be satisfied with one brand workstation with all th e"samples" they need, and maybe an extra unweighted keyboard coupled with it to play organ or synth solo ?

Why do all the workstations apparently still invoke so many heated discussions, and why are the sounds often heard so not on the front, not taking control in a live show, and generally so like in their lack of satisfying ? There are various technical reasons, I've mentioned regularly, and of course manufacturers, sample makers and programmers with sufficient pro-ability need to be motivated.

A lot of recordings of live performances I've heard, and to an extend the live music I've exposed myself to the last years aren't made such that I like the keyboards/synths like it woul dbe possible, in fact in more than a few cases there's not much point mixing the keys in much, and in other cases the "digital advancement" in PA systems makes you wonder whether making live music makes sense at all.

T.

T.

Classic rock band current setup is Kurz PC3x on the bottom and loaded (4 cards)Roland XP-60 on top. Kurz manual plays main output (mono) and XP or Kurz plays KB3 organs out Aux. Kurz handles everything. XP handles some synth or horns or just controller duty. Original vent sits on Kurz right, Ashby half-moon velcro'd front let, and mixer in rack. Lately I've had a third tier with Creamware B4000 on the left (for drawbar fun!) and Creamware Minimax + Moogerfooger 104M on the right for knob twiddling leads, both controlled by the XP. Sometimes I'll change up the top tier and use a Polyevolver or ION or Juno 106. I also keep a Varios in the rack for triggered samples and occasional VC-2 vocal or D-50 stuff. JL Cooper MSB+ midi patcher saves the day!

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

My rig for our classic rock/country/blues band is:

Top: Jupiter 50

Bottom: Electro 3 73 key

I stand when playing. Spider Pro stand. I wish the E3 could split keys on top/organ.

This thread has intimidated me some; for example, Sparky's post 2 above me seems like a NASA moon launch to this simple old guy. I wish I could do that stuff, if I only knew what it did so much better than my 2 boards? (I'm sure it does) :)

Paul

My requirements the last time I reworked my rig were:

- 88 note weighted keyboard with very good action and controllers on top so length is minimized

- 61 note un-weighted keyboard with acceptable action

- At least one of the two should have aftertouch

- Both keyboards must be multi-timbral

- Be able to play any sound from either unit to either unit (back to back MIDI connections) and have multiple splits on both.

- Cover all my sound requirements without extra modules which includes: great piano and EP, clone-wheel functionality, top-notch ROMpler sounds, good synth engine with VA functionality.

- Light weight

That's how I got to Nord Stage 2 88 + MOX6 (now MOXF6)

I'm very happy with it and don't envionsion changing anything for a few years. If had to start over, I might reverse the roles and go with Nord Stage 2 SW73 over either a MOXF8 or FA08 (primarily to get the aftertouch on the unweighted keyboard)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

+1 on the "Piano on bottom / organ on top" theme. Although I prefer a 4-board rig, lately I've been trying to see how much I can do with two M-audio controllers and a K2500 Rack.

The bottom is a weighted 88-key board that's too dumb to even conveniently select patches, and has no aftertouch; the top is a (version 1?) Axiom 61 that lets me set up 4 zones. More importantly, the top manual has aftertouch plus a ton of controllers. It handles the KB3 organ model wonderfully.

Oh, and they sit on an On-Stage Z-stand, which is as solid as a rock.

If the Kurz rack is too much of a bother, I substitute a 61-key Alesis Fusion as the top manual. Like the Kurz, it handles multiple channels (and multiple synth engines) well.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Was going with NE3 on top as dedicated clone wheel with vent & PC3K7 on bottom But the non weighted AP/EP sounds, while very good, just weren't cutting it. Will be going with the PC3K7 on top (KB3 is that good, along with the other great Kurz sounds) & the RD800 on the bottom as my weights KB.
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Former: Yamaha S08 bottom with P50m Module/ Roland VK7 top

Post forearm tendonitis:

(Now) PX-5S on bottom and M- audio Axiom 61 or Yamaha MM6 either one controlling VB3 on top.

Future: either a 49 key controller, Casio XW-P1 as a controller, Roland VR-09 or some other light Clonewheel on top.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

...This thread has intimidated me some; for example, Sparky's post 2 above me seems like a NASA moon launch to this simple old guy. I wish I could do that stuff, if I only knew what it did so much better than my 2 boards? (I'm sure it does) :)

Paul

Know what, Paul? The gig can be done with just the PC3x, or even the XP-60 alone! The third tier/shelf is just about having fun working with more toys. I'm pretty old school: used to having one board for one or two sounds. Don't feel intimidated. Everything beyond pianos bottom and organ/synth top is just masturbating!

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Kronos 61 on top

Casio CDP-100 bottom (no sounds used)

Works like a charm.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Current rig:

Top: Kurzweil PC3

Bottom: Kurzweil PC3X

OR

Top: Kurzweil PC361

Bottom: Kurzweil PC3

At church:

Top: Kurzweil PC361

Bottom: Kurzweil PC2

Before I got the PC361, I had a Nord Electro 3 - used as the top board.

I know it is unusual to have both boards with the same sounds (I duplicate settings, with the same patches and setups in the same places), but it makes it a lot easier to remember exactly which patch is where.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

My Ensoniq SD1 usually covers the bases for the worship band I'm in. But when ergonomics, nasty program changes and a needed dose of analog goodness dictate a second 'board, my Alesis Ion joins the party on the upper tier.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Hammond SK-1 on top, Casio PX-350 on bottom, which also controls a Yamaha ES rack for brass, synth, etc.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Used to have a Roland Fantom X6 above a Yamaha EX5 for an all original hard rock group (that took ourselves way too seriously).

Now having much more fun with a 60's, 70's, & 80's classic rock cover group that gets tons more gigs...Roland VR09 (finally got a fix for want of a better organ) atop Roland Fantom X7 (had to have at least 76 keys on the bottom, so traded up from the "6" AND got to keep all my signature sounds). If one should ever fail, the show can go on fairly well with either.

Even though all of the boards mentioned above emulate analog synths quite well, I still crave a bit of real analog goodness on a third tier, or more likely off to the right side...trying to decide between Dave Smith, Moog, Arturia, and Novation. I worry that 25 keys are just not enough for me, so definitely leaning towards Dave's goodies. I know we could MIDI up a module, but I seem to connect to an instrument better when it is self-contained...especially in a live show situation.

I'm still doing 2 keys each for 4 in a L configuration.

Left = Hammond XK-1C on top and Casio PX-5s on bottom

Right = Roland GAIA on top and Yamaha YPG-235 on bottom (don't laugh)

Being an old timer, I still like the fact that each keyboard has what sound I want it to be.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I've been rotating these three boards: Moxf 8 on bottom with either NS2 73 or Numa organ on top, or NS2 73 on bottom and Numa on top, depending on my mood and the gig schlep factor.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

For my original soul/r 'n' b band's big gigs, I've got a Nord Electro 3-73 on top and a Roland FP-4 on the bottom. AP on the bottom, organ and clav on top, EPs on either. I will probably be swapping the FP-4 for a PX5-S within the coming months. If I had the money, I'd consider switching the Electro to an SK1, but I would still need to be convinced. I often gig with either one of these, mostly depending on the ratio of AP or organ needed.

For my experimental jam pop cover band weird thing, I have the Electro on the bottom with the DSI Mopho on top. I mostly use the Electro for Rhodes and Wurlies. The Mopho for leads and basses, obviously. I'm hoping I won't have to get rid of the Mopho to get a Sub 37, but time will tell. I may break out the Juno for this band too. But only as a third keyboard.

I'm quite new to playing 'keyboards' in groups, as opposed to the people here who have been for 30 or 40 years. That said, nowadays when I'm playing keyboards, it depends on which sounds I need. For the piano sounds I ALWAYS use my Casio PX-100, which was obviously marketed for home use, however, I have manipulated in a way in which it sounds great, but usually requires bigger PA systems (I always get compliments on how nice it sounds).

The top tier is always dependant on what I'm playing. If I only ever need synth sounds I use my Roland SH-201 because it's small and light to carry, and has great lead and pad sounds. That said, If I ever need orchestral/organ sounds (or 9 zone setups), I have my Kurzweil K2500 (I will be buying a Roland JV sound module soon to prevent having to bring the K2500 all the time).

I only ever set up on stage left (looking at the stage from the audience, the left side), and my setup is:

Bottom: Casio PX-100

Top: Kurzweil K2500

The right of me: Roland SH-201

The left of me: Rackmount line mixer (Behringer 1602)

PS - Stephen, I LOVED your interview with David Rosenthal!

Over the years I've had several multi-board configurations.

In the late 70's early-mid 80's, I had a 4 board setup, with a Yamaha CP-70B to the right hand with a 49 note solid state Hammond on top, and a Hohner D6 Clavinet with a Rhodes Piano Bass on op to the left hand.

The late 80's early 90's had me change to a 3 board setup - Featuring a CP70B on the bottom, a Hammond XB-2 in the middle, and a Korg M1 on top

Late 90's through around 2010 had me with a similar, though lighter, setup - Korg Sp200 on the bottom, Hammond XB-2 in the middle, and Korg N364 on top.

Currently I've lightened even more, with a Yamaha MM8 on the bottom and a Hammond XK-3C on top.

Of all the rigs, the last one is my favorite, due wholly to the sound of he rig. I get exactly what I've been striving for all along.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'm currently not gigging with bands, but if I were, I think I'd be going with a Roland RD-64 on the bottom and a VR-09 on top. Bang for buck, bang for pound, and bang for inch, a very serviceable rig.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

For 2 1/2 of the last 3 years I have been using a 2 keyboard rig in a Classic Rock cover band.Started with a Motif on bottom and then Sk1 on top but for the last 6 months have added my Moog LP to my right.We play the best stuff of The Who,Edgar Winter,Allman Brothers,Pink Floyd,The Boss,Purple,Heart,Stevie,etc...The Motif and SK1/vent could handle everything realistically in a pinch with splits and velocity layers but having the Moog LP/RE20 to my right has been such a joy the last 6 months. I don't think I could ever go back to just 2 keyboards again in this band.

Top: Either a Hammond Sk1, Nord Stage Compact, or Roland VR-09.

Bottom: Either a Korg SV-1 (73-key), Casio PX-3, or (very occasionally) Nord Stage Compact

Which one actually goes in each slot varies from gig to gig. For the top board, the Hammond is my preference if I'm just using organ. If I also need synth sounds, and it's a gig I give a shit about where people will actually be listening, I'll bring the Nord. If it's a stupid dance/cover band gig where no one's paying attention anyway, I'll bring the VR.

For the bottom board, if I just need AP sounds, I go with the Casio. If it's a more EP-oriented gig, and I can get by with 73 keys, I'll take the SV. If I need both AP and EP but I also need all 88 keys, I'll bring the Casio and use it to trigger the EP sounds in whichever top board I'm using (Hammond or Nord). The only time I use the Nord as a bottom board is when space and/or weight are major factors.

The Sk1/SV-1 combo is probably the most common, and my favorite at the moment.

Also, on rare occasions when I need two manuals worth of organ, and just a little AP or EP -- i.e. little enough that I can get by with 61 unweighted keys -- I'll bring the Mojo and use the lower manual to control either my old GEM module (for AP) or MicroKorg (for EP).

At one point I also tried Dan's solution of using a Kronos 61 as a top board and sole sound source, and the Casio as a weighted controller on bottom. Great setup in theory, except I'm in the minority of people who just found the Kronos completely uninspiring and sold it.

I own a lot of different keyboards and my "go to" rig for the last couple three years is a Yamaha S70XS on the bottom, and a Hammond SK1 61 on top. Vent and a Roland XV-5050 in a rack!!!! Gig about 100 nights a year doing Texas Country.

Love it!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived