Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing down in Logic Audio

<< I've been trying to mix down a project and burn it to a CD so I can then convert to a mp3 file that I can send out over the net. Basically I want to do a complete mix inside the computer and burn it to CD with out having to go out thru my mixing board to a DAT machine and then burn a CD. I've recorded all my midi tracks into audio and along with the guitars and vocals that are already recorded into audio. I've been trying to mixing down thru the "Bounce" function. I've selected AIFF in the bounce window and made 3 different "bounce" passes. The first pass is a interleaved (stereo?) file saved as: (1 8 1 1.aif) that is a huge but still missing 4 tracks of BG vocals. The other with Split (L & R) that end up as (1 9 1 1).ail (Left?) and (1 9 1 1).air (Right?). Still missing 4 tracks of BG vocals. When I burned (Toast) the finished tracks to a CD and play them on another iMac I've discovered that some of the background tracks are missing. How can I preview the mix before I bounce to make sure that everything is there before I bounce? Do I mix from the Enviroment window or the Mixer window. I even set the outs to 1-2 on all the individual tracks in hopes of getting all the audio info routed out together. I should be able to use the Audio 1-2 Fader as the only "Bounce" route and get all the tracks, right? The 3.5 manual doesn't go much into detail about mixdown. It doesn't mention anything about the "Bounce and Add" function in the Bounce window. What am I missing and are there any other books or videos that really go into detail about the mixdown process? I've ordered the Gearvision tapes but Phil says he won't be doing a tape on the audio side until version 5 comes out.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't get an answer here, you might try the good people over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/logic-users . I use logic as well, though I do all my mixdowns externally so I have never had to tackle this issue; sorry I can't help. Peace, Harold
meh

You have to make sure that all tracks are using the same stereo output (ie 1-2) since you can only bounce one output per time. Seems to me like your BG vocals are routed to another output. The different between split or interleaved got nothing to do with your issue (use interleaved. Split is only neccery to import into Protools or the likes) If you work in anything other then 16bit, make sure you dither down. As for bounce and add - that lets you add the new file into the arranegment your working in. Which is good for when your bouncing effects etc.. Last - the size of the file will always be the same. Even if it is empty. The length, bit depth and frequncy determin that. HTH Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Archived