Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Patti Austin and the Duke Ellington Orchestra

Fred_C

Hi Gents,

Last night I went to a killer jazz concert. Patti Austin with the Duke Ellington Orchestra. The concert was entitled "The Music of Ella and Ellington". She is such a fine vocalist and the Ellington Orchestra was, well, THE ELLINGTON ORCHESTRA. It was a terrific concert and I really enjoyed it.

End of Report

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The finest recording methods played on the highest rated sound system pale in comparison to how a band of that type sounds live, especially if the playing is tight. I've never heard the Ellington band live, but no doubt they were tight as can be, and Austin can certainly belt it out. I've heard a few local Detroit big bands play in a "nightclub" type setting, and the sound just blew me away. I'm really sort of JEALOUS of ya, Fred. Glad you enjoyed it.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

If the show comes to the Sacramento area, I'll be sure to give it a try! +1 Big Band live music sounds better than the same recorded music...I think this holds true with Blues as well.
Take care, Larryz

Live music RULES!!!

I'd be careful about that claim. I do state that big band jazz, combo jazz and classical music is MUCH better live. But live music in other genres is always a crapshoot.

How many concerts have any of us gone to and walked out bitterly disappointed? You saved your money to go to a concert of one of your favorite Rock groups, and they sucked? How many Rock groups used overdubs and multi-tracking on many of their best songs that can't be satisfactorily replicated in a live performance?

Big band music has parts written for each instrument in the ensemble, and play no more than written in the studio. And therefore when on stage, it's easy to replay. Same with classical. But when a Rock based group like ELO goes into the studio and makes 10 musicians sound like 30, it's hard to put that onstage and sound as good.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Live music RULES!!!

I'd be careful about that claim. I do state that big band jazz, combo jazz and classical music is MUCH better live. But live music in other genres is always a crapshoot.

How many concerts have any of us gone to and walked out bitterly disappointed? You saved your money to go to a concert of one of your favorite Rock groups, and they sucked? How many Rock groups used overdubs and multi-tracking on many of their best songs that can't be satisfactorily replicated in a live performance?

Big band music has parts written for each instrument in the ensemble, and play no more than written in the studio. And therefore when on stage, it's easy to replay. Same with classical. But when a Rock based group like ELO goes into the studio and makes 10 musicians sound like 30, it's hard to put that onstage and sound as good.

Whitefang

Yeah Fang, you are right in that we could probably think up lots of exceptions, but in general, all things being equal - live music STILL RULES!!! JMHO

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

+1 SEHpicker Live Music Rules! I can walk into a blues bar with a live band and instantly get in the mood. The recordings just don't do it justice. Big Band stuff is greatly improved live too! I don't care to listen the recorded versions. I get what Fang is saying too! There are groups that go into the studio like Moody Blues, ELO, etc., that get all these sounds on record and then disappoint you when you go to hear them live without all the studio sound effects...I guess that's why I like live recordings on DVD! LOL!
Take care, Larryz

Hi Gents,

Last night I went to a killer jazz concert. Patti Austin with the Duke Ellington Orchestra. The concert was entitled "The Music of Ella and Ellington". She is such a fine vocalist and the Ellington Orchestra was, well, THE ELLINGTON ORCHESTRA. It was a terrific concert and I really enjoyed it.

End of Report

Excellent! The last concert of a similar ilk that I caught was Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. They were fantastic, to say the least, though I couldn't help but feel that they could have been even better yet had they featured a skilled, dyed-in-the-wool Jazz Guitarist (think Freddie Green, Jim Hall), there being no 'guitar chair' included. Were we represented with the Duke Ellington Orchestra at this concert, Fred? I hope so... Not to be overly guitar-centric, but fer cryin' out loud, they featured Django at one time!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi Gents,

End of Report

though I couldn't help but feel that they could have been even better yet had they featured a skilled, dyed-in-the-wool Jazz Guitarist (think Freddie Green, Jim Hall), there being no 'guitar chair' included. Were we represented with the Duke Ellington Orchestra at this concert, Fred? I hope so...

Hey Caev,

Sadly, there was no "guitar chair". Interestingly, that was the first thing I noticed (I freely admit to being "guitar-centric"). Although this was a strategic error on their part, it did not detract from the excellence of the performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alice, (I assume that's your first name)

Welcome to the forum.

Did you see the Patti Austin concert at Shippensburg Univ. in PA or somewhere else? It was a terrific concert. Wasn't it?

Tell us about your guitar interests. What music you like to play? What gear you use? etc. :wave:

Archived