Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

multi audio input soundcards

i'm setting my sights on my next purchase, some heavy new PC with twice the Mghz of my current 700. I'm currently using a soundblaster platinum, and loving it. I particularly like how I can jam live with my NI B-4 and record the room at the same time. However, I'd would love to be able to have a few mics in the room and have seperate inputs for different instruments that i could then remix later. I've heard of a few different cards that do what i want (layla and pulsar i think) but would love to hear from anyone with any experience with them. Any advise on what i should be looking for, what to take into consideration with my motherboard and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When looking at the more professionalcards, be aware that not all of them have built-in pre-amp sections. They will be -10dBu/+4dbV, which means you'll be buying some sort of mixer/amp. When I bought my first Delta-1010 ($800 at the time), I needed 8 preamplifiers. I bought 3 M-Audio "Audio Buddy" boxes (2 channels for $100, no frills). And, Behringer "MX802A" (4 mics & 2 stereo lines out to 2 channels for $125). There are combinations to look for that may be cheaper for you. Make sure you do some investigating before you buy anything. Make sure you have your budget!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I always advise people to stay away from the recording bug, it can be habit-forming. But, it sounds like you're already into it with the NI-B4, (which, I had the opportunity to check out, I like it.) Anyway, my advice is to look into the MOTU interfaces -great sound, reliable & they allow for future expansion, if needed.
In two days, it won't matter.

The interface I'm recommending to everyone right now is the [url=http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Mona/Default.htm]Echo Mona[/url] . I picked one of these up about 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. You get 4 very clean mic/line/guitar preamps, 6 analog outputs, and S/PDIF + ADAT I/O for digital gear. But more importantly, the Mona works flawlessly out of the box. The drivers are rock solid and multiclient for using several applications at once.

Archived