Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Wright's Leslie speeds

Skinny

Rick Wright's use of Leslie speeds is always interesting to listen to; the way he toggles from fast to slow.

However, in listening to a few tracks, studio and live, there are a few instances where it seems the tremolo speed is much slower than a stock Leslie.

For example, on the Meddle version of "Echoes", at about 8:15, the fast speed seems pretty slow. Is that his creative use of speed switching (not letting the horn fully ramp up), or do you suppose his Leslie was modified in some way to run slower?

Also, on the live version of Echoes, from David Gilmour's "Live in Gdansk" album, a similar slower fast speed can be heard. I am curious, though, is he maybe using one of those Yamaha RA-something rotary speakers? I remember seeing one in some of the footage the last time I watched the DVD; though it has been a while since I saw it.

Stuff and things.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could be that their recordings were slowed down...idk
Nope. To slow down enough to be noticeable, they'd have to slow down so much it would dramatically change the tone. Would we really notice a 10% change in Leslie speed? Probably not. But a 10% reduction in pitch is big beans.

In any case, I played piano along with DSOM (on vinyl) many times. Admittedly I used a turntable with adjustable speed to tune records to the piano, and I don't know whether I had to do this with DSOM, but the tuning range was at most 50 cents.

Rick Wright's Gear Through The Years (PDF)

Found through Google, but looks like someone did a fair amount of research. Accuracy unknown.

Accuracy? They identify a Mellotron Mark II as a "Mellotron M400".

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Found through Google, but looks like someone did a fair amount of research. Accuracy unknown.

...and in part 2 of HammondDave's posts, he will now give the appropriate answer to the OP's question....

....waiting....

....waiting....

Well, gotta run. :wave:

...and in part 2 of HammondDave's posts, he will now give the appropriate answer to the OP's question....

....waiting....

....waiting....

Well, gotta run. :wave:

Bye Sven...

P.S. They also identify a m102 as a RT3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived