Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best grand piano sound for keyboard

Ybyb

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will reiterate my friend in town is arguably one of the best jazz snobs/ players here. He used his Bose L1 and an Eon 10 with a Kurzweil at many a jazz gig, later switching to the $4000+ nord Stage

Nothing is close to a good acoustic piano

circumstances play a huge part of this academic discussion... let's not forget reality. As John Lennon put it, Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. There is no hard fixed rule.. sometimes the acoustic is miles ahead of a DP... but not always. You learn to make the best of what life throws at you.

I recall playing in bands where I could scarcely hear the the ac piano.. I would break my nails sending them painfully into my fingertips under the nail... many many times. True, the musicality of ac piano is unmatched. But the DP is still quite useful in the real versus "academic" world.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

You haven't seen Dave's vid's have you? He has a very nice Steinway in his living room that he used for some of the vids then he's done other vids at local clubs where he's also playing a very nice sounding grand.

But of course I agree that if it's an old pos grand then sure my Kurz is way better than one of those. But that new Yamaha I referred to earlier? No way, sitting side by side against that one my Kurz sucked. Bad.

Bob

Yes , I have seen Dave's videos , wonderful key master and very helpful person.

I wish I was rich and could afford a Steinway :).

Brett

this club I'm playing in actually has a 1890 Steinway (does that mean it's good or it sucks haha) but it's beat to death. Many of the clubs in NYC do have excellent grands but not all..

DF

What's the name of this club? And what are the names of the clubs with pianos that, in your opinion, suck?

Dave,

I haven't opined on this yet, but you know that whatever DP you get, it will

a) fall way short of your expectations, but

b) please your audience adequately, despite your frustrations.

Losing yourself in the delight of music (which you know how to do so well) is always the antidote. My best,

Jerry

think I'll pass on that one, BTW I have a Yammy 6"1 Disklavier at home and a Yammy 6'1 regular grand at another location..

DF

If you are referring to the post above yours, good decision :) He was probs only looking for an argument anyway.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Busting out your customers regarding the quality of their infrastructure on a public forum aint cool. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

As a midi-controller, keyboard junkie, I always prefer VSTs to on-board sounds. I've been using the Reason Refill packs with a M-Audio 88. Semi-weighted keys make it easier to transport (as the keyboard itself is much less heavy than some other full size boards).

I guess it really just comes down to the best possible sound you can get vs sacrificing 'real' playability or weight for transport.

-Tuomas Easton

The Keytar Guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/TuomasEastonOfficial

www.Tuomaseaston.com/

Tuomas, I hear what you're saying, I have tons of software synths too but I still maintain the relatively slight improvement you get from a VST over my PC3 is negligible once you're playing in a noisy club through a PA. PA's have nowhere near the fidelity of your home studio monitors. All that great VSTi piano sound is lost in a boomy bass heavy room and that table of girls right up front talking their heads off and the TV going at the bar and the fight in the men's room and, and...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived