Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning synth programming...found something helpful

EscapeRocks

Okay, maybe I'm late to the party and some of you may say, "duh...we could have told you that..."

Some of you may remember my "help a newbie programmer" thread a while back. I was trying to recreate a specific old Prophet 5 sound. I got great advice.

Then, while doing some 'net surfing, I came across a really nice page with a Prophet 5 owner's manual in .pdf

I was not aware that for every factory sound, in the index pages they had graphics of every setting that made that sound.

I have been using this not only to get close to these sounds with my modern gear, but to understand how different sounds are created. I'm a very visual learner, so this has helped tremendously my understanding of what different wave shapes and so forth do.

Anyway, I though it was a fun discovery for those of us who struggle learning the theory of synth programming. These old gear manuals that include the sound settings are great.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA!

I will check out the ARP manual.

Another cool thing is some of the excellent iOS synth apps I have on my iPad, like Magellen, iPoly6 etc... I can experiment there since they use classic analog GUI interfaces.

It's already helped me in finally being able to dig down deep into my MOX to modify various sounds, by knowing what I'm looking to do, and finding a comparable parameter.

Next thing you know I'm going to start GASing for some old analog gear... when does it stop? :) (I mean, both Jon Cain and Gregg Rolie used Prophet 5's ....I can justify anything..LOL)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived