Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Regrets, we've had a few

AlanV

From the old days, main regret is the Rhodes Chroma. I sold it in the early '90s with Apple IIe and proprietary interface, for about $2500 (paid probably about $9000 for the whole package). I loved many things about the Chroma, but it was huge, fragile, temperamental, cumbersome to program, sluggish in response, and it didn't blend well with the newer digital synths. If I knew that after 15 years many of those problems would have been worked out, I probably wouldn't have sold it.

In the last couple of years, sadly, I've been forced to sell a lot of my stuff for pure economical reasons. Trying to mantain a balance and deciding what to sell every time hasn't been easy - also considering that it's not so easy to sell stuff at good prices these days in Italy, because people don't have cash to spend anymore.

In short, I got rid of my Andromeda, AN1x, MicroEnsemble, ExpressionMate, VMK176Plus, XP-80, and a buch of other stuff (mixer, outboard, etc.). Next wil be probably the VL1m. I regret selling *each* one of them, mostly because it was a forced decision.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had regrets very much. Most of the time, I just turn the page and enjoy whatever new thing I am working with.

I hadn't programmed my original Nord Modular in several months. It wasn't being gigged. I was aware that the programming software would not be updated, etc. A G2 aficionado from our Clavia community was looking for an original Nord Modular to complement his G2s. So I sold it to him.

The regret hit badly about three months later. I'd get all these ideas for new architectures and not have a way to see if they would work. An itch you cant scratch. :mad:

Sometimes you don't realize how good you have it ...

I am resolved not buy another Nord, with it's hardware/software complexities, but I am looking for a soft modular.

It's interesting to read folks have no regrets, yet seem to then try to find that "elusive" sound in a synth/VST to match the hardware they no longer own.

Not a criticism in any way shape or form, just an observation.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I actually regret NOT buying more things that I really needed (being too much of a tightwad at the wrong times) and not punting my DX7 as soon as I realised I didn't like it that much.

But have no fear. In the last few years I have been bucking that trend!

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I've been wheeling & dealing on craigslist the last few years coming up with a collection of fun vintage stuff, like this Arp Axxe I just picked up today;

http://i.imgur.com/JaneHSQ.jpg

I hope to eventually have enough room to set'em all up at once. it really is inspiring to play a real Clavinet or Wurlitzer, even if my skill level doesn't really warrant having anything more complex than my Casio XW-P1. :P

That's the spirit!

I've already bought a few pedals this year. EHX electric mistress and Nano Big Muff.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• 2 months later...

Bumping this (original) thread: Farfisa Combo Compact, ended up in a friend's shed, lost forever. 'Nother Farfisa, model 345, I threw out 14 years ago when I moved, along with a broken Leslie 860 -- Bi-amped 2x60 watts, weighed just 100 lb, shoulda gotten it fixed -- what was I thinking?

More recently, I threw out a Roland AX-1 whose ribbon controller had crapped out, because I was offended by the repair shop wanting $300 to fix it.

OTOH, I'm now blessed with an AX-Synth and a couple of Kurzweils, whose organs blow away the VIP 345; and a Boss pedal that does a decent job of replacing that broken 100 pound Leslie. So I can't complain but so much.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I've been wheeling & dealing on craigslist the last few years coming up with a collection of fun vintage stuff, like this Arp Axxe I just picked up today;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Koda_Vonnor/Misc/JaneHSQ_resized.jpg

I hope to eventually have enough room to set'em all up at once. it really is inspiring to play a real Clavinet or Wurlitzer, even if my skill level doesn't really warrant having anything more complex than my Casio XW-P1. :P

The Walgreens pitch/mod joystick is a nice touch. ;)

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Archived