Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Regrets, we've had a few

AlanV

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave my oldest son a pristine Hohner Pianet T that I found for $100 with the original stand and a small amp. Such a bargain. I don't think he ever played it. When I asked for it back, he had sold it.

My youngest son got a new Ovation six string with case that he begged for and then quickly got tired of. I don't know what ever happened to that.

My stepdaughter got a new Yamaha clarinet so she could join the band. She never joined the band and eventually she pawned the thing without telling me.

None of my kids ever learned how to play anything and they all tell me now they regret it. I should've bought them kazoos.

It "IS"? Tell me where I can get a 1952-53 Fender bass? ha, this bass was uncommon back then!

A chopped Leslie? Only have seen this one.

A Killer B3? Not just a good one, a killer one. Know what I'm saying? Never heard a B3 like this one.

Fact is, most of the gear mentioned in this thread isn't so rare or unique that it isn't replaceable.

RIF, chief.

Should have kept my old Korg Delta because it was modified by Tom Imperato (he was a bench tech back then). Tom added two knobs for waveform modulation and selection. It was killer. Sold it in 1989 because money was needed to buy a printer. Big regret.

I donated the Korg EPS-1 and ARP 4-Voice to a local community college, which I regretted later on. Upon visiting the college a year later, I saw how badly students treated my babies (keys broken, knobs and sliders missing).

Broke my heart.

Steve Coscia

I moved to San Luis Obispo for a girl when I was 24. Things didn't work out, and I was forced to hock a shitload of my gear to get back to Denver, where I lived previously.

In order of most-to-least regret:

Roland Juno-106

Fender Rhodes MK-1 88 Suitcase

Korg 01w

Roland U220

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

in your mind, what keyboards do you regret getting rid of?

My first synth, a Roland JX-8P with PG-800 programmer.

I also had a JX-8P with the programmer. And yes, it was a great synth, especially with the programmer. Without it, there was way too much menu diving. The strings and pads were amazing for sure. I still enjoy listening to old tapes of my recordings.

Anyway, I gave it away back in the 90's to the son of a friend of mine who was learning keyboards, but kept the programmer... just in case I'd replace the JX someday.

I never regretted selling my old Korg Poly-800. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

No regrets. :cool:

... and the horse you rode in on.

Yeah, it would be very costly to replace some of these instruments, but it *is* possible.

As with everything, YMMV with regard to the relationship between possible and very costly.

--wmp

Had a beautiful 73 Rhodes Suitcase which I bought new in maybe '74. Loved it but thought I needed an 88 (which ended up sounding not nearly as nice). I sold it to a woman musician I knew and told her if she ever wanted to sell it, I'd buy it back from her. Several years later I tracked her down and bought it back. But then, new family and needed all the money I could come up with for the down payment on a house, I sold it cheap to a music store. It was gone forever.

Bought a Minimoog sight unseen/unheard in 1972. You couldn't find them in stores at the time. Clear wheels, bad-ass sound. Sold a few years later to finance a grand piano purchase. Sold it to a local musician WHO STILL HAS IT. It would probably take $4,000 - $5,000 to pry it from him if I could track him down.

Those two instruments were special. They are my only regrets.

Busch.

Anyone who says they have no regrets is not being honest imo - we ALL have regrets. Some folks refuse to acknowledge mistakes is all.

OK - If you say so :rolleyes: From my spreadsheet here's every keyboard I ever sold - I have no regrets and never did after selling them (Of course I've made plenty of other misteaks):

Yamaha CP-30, DX7, DX7II, TX802, S90ES, fs1r(x2) (FM-7/8 now)

Roland A-80, SH-101(replaced with minimoog for $450.00)

AKAI S1000

Oberheim/Viscount MC3000 (broken)

Korg CX-3(Broken), Wavestation EX

Novation 25SL,49SL

PEK (flipped)

I gave my oldest son a pristine Hohner Pianet T that I found for $100 with the original stand and a small amp. Such a bargain. I don't think he ever played it. When I asked for it back, he had sold it.
I give the kids stuff with the attached caveat if your going to sell this......dont

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

in your mind, what keyboards do you regret getting rid of?

My first synth, a Roland JX-8P with PG-800 programmer.

I also had a JX-8P with the programmer. And yes, it was a great synth, especially with the programmer. Without it, there was way too much menu diving. The strings and pads were amazing for sure. I still enjoy listening to old tapes of my recordings.

Anyway, I gave it away back in the 90's to the son of a friend of mine who was learning keyboards, but kept the programmer... just in case I'd replace the JX someday.

Is the programmer still with us?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I've owned a lot of different keyboards and modules, and I do miss some of those on occasion. But there are only two pieces I regret selling: MKS-80 w/MPG-80, and an EX-5R. In the early 2000's I downsized a lot, selling off most of the modules within a 20 space rack; that's when the Super Jupiter and programmer were sold. The EX-5R lasted until 2009; but I decided to move it - as I was building up my software instrument library at the time (the EX-5R sale financed the purchase of Omnisphere).

The MKS-80 was the most stable analog instrument I've owned; and it had a particular sound that I've come close to covering, but not quite. When the chain starts with real VCO's, it's a little tough to replicate the whole, electro-organic vibe.

The EX-5R was unique, too; though I've been able to cover that lost ground pretty well. Still, very cool piece; nothing quite like it. Almost picked up Kanker's FS-1R a few years back. That's a piece that is - from what I've checked out so far - not quite covered by software instruments. Perhaps once the dust settles from moving, I'll look into an FS-1R again; though prices appear to be on the upswing..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've never sold any boards, but I also haven't bought many. Gear loses it's value so fast that it's seldom worth it to sell. I would never part with my D-20 for sentimental reasons, but if I were to sell it, what would I get? Maybe $200? It's just not worth it.

My mint W/S might be worth a bit more, but it's still not going to top $400, and that's just not worth it.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I regretted selling a Model D. But if I hadn't sold the Mini I wouldn't have gotten a Voyager. And if I hadn't gotten the Voyager there are a number of absolutely amazing things that wouldn't have happened. Regret turned into gold.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Can't think of anything over 20 years. What I have now is what I coveted since I started. The only piece I sold I wish I still had was the 1972 Mini D I bought in '94 after asking the shop if I could return the Hammond XB2 they had just sent and get that instead (they dealt in vintage gear too). Sold it to get a C3. Best move I made to progress my playing. Way way overpriced now to ever contemplate getting one again.

I regretted selling my Polysix back in 1988. But I was fortunate that I found it 11 years later at a local GC (same patches in it I'd programmed). So it's not going ANYWHERE!!!

I bought another DW8000 12 years ago having sold mine in 1988 to buy a Kawai K1. But that's on loan to our sax player.

Now that I'm borrowing my old Kawai K4 I'd sold to our guitarist I'm sorta regretting that - it's so much fun.

I have nostalgia for my MiniKorg and Roland MP600 and old Crumar Performer (sold to our bassist) but don't regret selling them.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I bought another DW8000 12 years ago having sold mine in 1988 to buy a Kawai K1. But that's on loan to our sax player.

Korg came out with the DW8000 after I went to Ensoniq. The DW8000 intrigued me - it had a warm sound and a basic interface. It seemed to fit that niche just right.

I regret not getting one back then.

Steve Coscia

Is the programmer still with us?

Yes sir... somewhere. :cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have a few things I regret selling. There was a Matrix 6R That I didn't think I liked that much at the time, then I listen back to stuff I recorded while I had it and shake my head. I had a small Doepfer Modular system that I sold to go all MOTM, and now kind of regret because it packed a lot of features into a little space. Also, I sold a Doepfer MAQ for significantly more than I paid for it, but I still miss it, it was a fun controller for my modular.

My biggest regrets are things I could have bought and didn't. I'm sure I have recounted the story here of the mint rev 3 Prophet 5, which had actually lived in my studio for 2 years, that I could have bought for $75, and the clusterf*ck of a story that followed that sale. There was also an OB Xpander I could have bought for $800 in the '90's. Oh well.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Back in about 2000 I sold my OBXa (complete with Cliff Richard band flight case!!) to fund the purchase of a....

... Korg SG Rack piano module :( :( ...

Ouch.... My OB-Xa sold for around $800 :cry: - considering what those are worth now.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I regretted selling my Polysix back in 1988. But I was fortunate that I found it 11 years later at a local GC (same patches in it I'd programmed).

WOW.... Now that's luck...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

For the ones I had years ago, the complication is that most were traded in for something else, and in some cases I wish I still had both the item I traded, and the item I traded it for!

But still...Roland sh1000, Maxikorg, wurlie, Yamaha cs-50 Roland mkb something midi controller are the ones I miss most from back in the day.

More recently, I let my wife sell one of my mono/poly's on ebay about 5 years ago.

I also gave my Hammond m to a friend who has a recording studio. I just don't have the space and so it was more or less in storage for years. Still I'm kind of kicking myself for it now.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I've never sold any boards, but I also haven't bought many. Gear loses it's value so fast that it's seldom worth it to sell. I would never part with my D-20 for sentimental reasons, but if I were to sell it, what would I get? Maybe $200? It's just not worth it.

My mint W/S might be worth a bit more, but it's still not going to top $400, and that's just not worth it.

I'm a hoarder too. :cool:

Also - does it surprise anyone here that Markyboard keeps a spreadsheet, including detailed metadata on a nanoscopic scale level, of all the keyboards he has ever touched in his life? :laugh:

No. Of course not. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Also - does it surprise anyone here that Markyboard keeps a spreadsheet, including detailed metadata on a nanoscopic scale level, of all the keyboards he has ever touched in his life? :laugh:

No. Of course not. :)

Likewise, it shouldn't surprise you that I have a similarly detailed spreadsheet with your name on it as well. And now...so does the NSA. :cop:

Archived