Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cubase AI on netbook??

RickWeaver

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question? Am I able to use Cubase AI (or whatever comes with Yamaha MX49) on a netbook? I need it only for midi, not audio. I am planning to buy this instrument very soon and I am looking for solutions. Unfortunately I can not use my work laptop for this purpose and the only device I have right now is a netbook with 2gb ram.

What do you think? Should I try the netbook or should I look for a multitrack recorder?

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you describe your context in a bit more detail - live/studio, what exactly you intend to do with it - record/play back sequences, or program splits/layers/etc?

In general, if it's only MIDI and not audio, a netbook ought be fine. Not sure about Cubase, but there are several alternatives. Again, it depends on what exactly you want to actually do with it.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Hi,

So, I write songs at home, no live performance at all. All I want to do to record and playback the midi sequences in Cubase and I want the synth to provide the voices. Nothing more.

As far as I know this synth comes with Cubase AI 6, now I am trying to find the system requirements for it. If dual core processor required then the netbook is definitely a no go.

EnergyXT comes to mind. Lightweight, yet extremely feature-rich. Haven't tried it on a netbook, but it should work. I suggest downloading the demo and giving it a spin.

I'm sure there are other alternatives (google 'lightweight sequencer for Windows' or something; also KVR audio has a very good search feature), and you'll have to try each one out. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Cubase system requirements thing, since that probably assumes audio/midi/VST use. No harm trying it out, in any case.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived